You're gonna miss me when I'm gone. Norway to Marocco

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JohnnyTh, Jul 22, 2016.

1. JohnnyTh

JohnnyTh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my ticket for the long way round
    Two bottles of whiskey for the way
    And I sure would like some sweet company
    And I'm leaving tomorrow, what do you say

This is how Anna Kendrick’s Cup song begins and it fits how I feel today. I have a ticket for the ferry to Denmark for tomorrow. The ferry is not really the long way, but my bike will be my ticket for the rest of my travels.

I don’t have two bottles of whiskey with me, but I could get one on the way.

Most importantly is that this time I have company. My 16-year-old daughter, Tea, will ride with me this time. Hoping it will be a good dad and daughter thing to do before she is too old to want to ride with her dad. She already has a 125ccm Yamaha MT125 that she uses a lot. Bike riding must be in her blood. Who can blame her? She was 4 years old when she was riding with me for the first time.
    [​IMG]

The Bike is the same trusty Kawasaki GTR1400 that took me to Turkey in 2013. Some of you might have read my report from that ride.http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a-viking-searching-for-the-south-east-end-of-europe.881563/
    [​IMG]
    (thats not my topbox. It is a cat cage and its not going with me on the ride.)

Our target destination is Gibraltar and we have 2 weeks planned to do it. It could be cut short if I get a new job I have applied for, but I don’t expect to get it so most likely we are good.

This is our planned route south.
    [​IMG]
    Denmark and Germany will be mainly motorway to cover some distance quickly.

The stuff

Luggage is same setup as last time, just more stuff as we are now riding two up. I have invested some money in a smaller summer sleeping bag to save space and hopefully have more comfort in the hot south Europe.

As you can see I do save a lot of space replacing my two regular sleeping bags.
    [​IMG]

A new IPad mini have been purchased as the old one was slowly dying on me. Hopefully I will be able to keep this report updated while we are on the road. Just need to find a way to transfer my pictures from my camera to the IPad, so I can upload them. Oh and a new camera to. I now have a Nikon D7100. It was a gift to myself after working in South-Korea for a few months and it’s a sweet camera. Maybe I will be able to take some good pictures from the ride. At least the camera is not the imitator anymore. Now it’s all down to the operator.
    [​IMG]

I hope to keep updates coming as quick as i can.

[​IMG]
  2. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will follow you here as well Johnny :-D Have a safe trip
  3. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    I left home saturday and picked my daughter up at nearby town. She is a professional Elsa from The Disney movie Frozen, She dress it up as Elsa and entertain in children's birthdays and shows. sshhhh don't tell the kids... Or Disney...

We took the ferry from kristiansand to Hirtshals. The ferry was somewhat delayed, but we arrived in Hirtshals around 23.00. The crossing was in perfect weather with no waves. I had a feeling we are leaving Norway as we are having the best weather this year... Well

We ride for less then one 1 hour from Hirtshals in the dark and went looking for somewhere to sleep. I have this app called Shelter. It contains hundreds of free, YES FREE, places to crash all over Denmark. So I used this app and found a place.
    We drove on a farm road for a while, got lost, before we found a parking lot. We started walking down a field and tried to find the place. We were looking for a little lake, where they had put up shelter and underwater microphones so you could listen to all the frogs in the lake at night.
    After wandering around without finding this lake, we suddenly heard a man yelling at us. Tea was a little worried for a few seconds, but all he wanted was to show us the lake and help us, he even introduced us to his dog and pet pig.

It was a beautiful place. 3 small shelters around a small lake. There was a couple of fire pits and even kindling to start a fire. Two shelters was Close together and the third one was on the other side of the small lake. Next to the pig's shelter I guess.
    Sadly there is no pictures off this as it was to dam dark.

I did however get this picture in the morning.
    [​IMG]

We slept well from around 1 am to around 6 am. The pigs woke up after us and I guess they say us from there shelter and they came over to say hello.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lake, that clearly was very shallow was bustling with birds. Mostly a a type of bird with long legs and long beak. Sorry I know I should tell you that the name of the bird is Lomiutus Cansutras, or something like that in Latin. But I'm a biker and I know nothing about birds. I guess you need to google it. I have a picture to help you in you have a special interest in birds. :)
    [​IMG]

We packed and while packing the farmers dog came to say good morning. While carrying our stuff the 100 meters to the bike the farms hen also came over and the pet pig said goodbye as we got on the bike and set off. Packed our panniers and started driving at around 7.30.

The cup song continues...

When I'm gone, when I'm gone
    You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
    Youre gonna miss me by my hair you're gonna miss everywhere
    Oh, you're sure gonna miss me when I'm gone.

I bet my wife agree with the chorus at the moment. She stayed at home this time. I believe she wanted to come along, but this time it was dad and daughter ride only.

How long will the ride be, she asks. Well that's a very good question, and I don't know how to answer it... My daughter starts school the 18th of August, so we are either going back before then, or when we're out of money. Whatever comes first, hehe. I have a budget for this ride and will try to keep the costs down so we can stay on the road longer.

Anyway, we drove from the frog place and out on the motorway. It was hot, it was boring and it took forever. Riding down the highway in southern Denmark and Germany isn't the most interesting trip. As we stayed on the autobahn it's mostly flat and nothing to look at really. Hopefully next day will be better as we enter the Rhine wally and is getting closer to the Alps. Today we had 30 degrees and A LOT of queue it took its time.
    We had a lot of stops with added up to about 6 hours of eating, drinking and relaxing.

This is one of the its to dam hot to go on stops.
    [​IMG]

We were on the road for about 12 hours. Our destination was Basel in Switzerland, but we only got to a small town just south of Hannofer, 500 km short of my target. We were simply tired and exhausted from too little sleep and too much traffic. The hot weather also take its toll on a Norwegian that is used to cold and wet weather.

After Hanofer we decided that we had enough no found a campsite. Previously I have had bad experience with German camp sites, but this one was great.
    [​IMG]
    No complaints at all. Even came with a friendly neighbor and a unlocked power supply.
    [​IMG]

So now we are at pretty nice camping site in Germany. I believe this must be the nicest camp site in Germany. At least it's the best one I had been to in Germany.

We had some Korean noodles we brought with us from Norway and had a shower. Which was nice after the extreme heat this day had consisted of. Hopefully tomorrow there will be less roadworks.

I tried to upload my report, but the connection was to slow and I had to give up.
    Next day is more of the same.
  4. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great so far! My grandfather Olaf was from Risor, Norway. Too bad Tea couldn't follow along on the MT125. Of course you would need to take the slower roads. I love that bike though and would love to see it involved in some touring and camping duties. Too bad it's not available in Canada.

Mike
    Curryinahurry likes this.
  5. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    The MT125 is brilliant. Even myself enjoy riding it. But on this ride we are pushing the miles in Northen Europe to get to the south, so better to leave it at home.
    Curryinahurry and GearDrivenCam like this.
  6. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    Next morning I vote up at 6. I was hoping for a little more sleep. But as the sun was coming up so was I.

The sky promised us another hot day.
    [​IMG]

Said good morning to the other campers and after giving the young rider on the 125ccm some help with his drive chain we got on the bike.
    [​IMG]

This is interesting. I have stayed at some really fancy and expensive hotels around the world, but I can't remember the guy in the room next to mine ever even said hello. Here on the camp site everyone say hello and good morning. The guy on the pedal bike told me his story: Retired, on his way to visit his son in south Germany. And a he shared a few tips of what to see in this area and pointed out some locations on a map. The 17 year old was on his way to see his brother in Netherlands. This never happens at a hotel..

For the first 40 minutes we where riding thru som beautiful small towns and on some nice country roads, but soon we where back on the highway with the course set for Switzerland.
    [​IMG]

This day was as I promised you more of the same. Temperature was still 29 degrees Celsius and we where still pushing miles on the highway. It was not much fun for anyone of us. But my daughter was struggling with the heat. We pulled off in Frankfurt am main and found the local Louis pusher. Louis is a big biking gear outlet that you will find in all major city's in Germany.
    We bought her some coolmax underwear and thinner gloves with perforated skin. This helped a lot and we set of with higher spirits.

Leaving the City Tea saw a store she wanted to visit. I found a parking space behind a small compact car. Tea left to do her shopping and I bought some water. While I was sitting on the bike drinking the small compact car was replaced by a big Audi A6. The parking space was tight so I gave the driver a helping hand signaling him how close he could revers to me. When I thought he was close enough I signaled to him to stop but he did not pay attention and continued to revers towards me. He hit my left hand rear view mirror and I could feel him push me over. I slammed my hand into his rear window and he stopped. I managed to keep my balance. The idiot came over talking to me in German. I tried to explain that I did not speak German, only English but he did no attempt to switch to English. He said: no biip biip and clearly was referring to his park distance sensors. He also claimed he did not hit me and I pointed to a long scratch in the back of his car. I was lucky as he only hit my mirror and that have a few scratches already so I did not care to much. The asshole left whiteout even trying to apologize.

We did reach Basel that night and after paying 40 euros to enter Switzerland, we started looking for a campsite. The lady at the border did not find if funny when I asked if everything inside was free after paying to enter, just like in Disneyland. To be honest I don't believe she think anything is funny.

After some searching we found a campsite just south of Basel and is was closed. They close at 2200 and we arrived 2205. Thankfully they let us in and after a shower we crashed. Tomorrow this ride will begin for real.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's how the real ride and thanks for taking us along. :thumb I did some shopping at Louis.de just outside of Innsbruck.. great selection.

:lurk
  8. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    I have failed totally on updating this report. Struggling with pictures. Looks like I will need to do it when I get back hom. Atm we are in The Atlas Mountains, just outside Sahara.
    Cool to know that some of you are reading the report :)
    snglfin and Shaggie like this.
  9. koa925

koa925 Senior Stromer

Oddometer:
    a good start, will follow you along
  10. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    I woke up that morning with a nagging feeling that there was something wrong with the bike. I got it on its center stand and cheeked the front wheel. And sure enough, one of the bearings was busted.
    This was disappointing as I changes the bearing last time I changed the front tire. Sure enough the tire did not have many more miles left in it but I expected a bearing to last longer.

The lady at the reception kindly did a Google search for me and found a bike shop near by and we sett off to Moto Hell... The name was not so promising, but it turned out good.
    [​IMG]

This was a great place and is highly recommended if your ever in Basil. I ended up buying two new tires and wheel bearings for the front wheel.
    [​IMG]
    Moto Hell put all there mechanics on my bike and the work was done in record time.

There was also a hot girl that gave my bike a full cheek up and warned me that my break disks would need replacing soon. Beside that it was ok. I'm sure most of you have already spotted her in the first picture, but she was kind enough to pose for a pic.
    [​IMG]
    As I don't trust any mechanics I watched them work and I must say I was impressed. They cleaned everything and cheeked every nut and bolt on the front and rear, even those that they did not need to remove to replace the tires.

I parted with some money and set off on my new rubber. And oh my god. The bike was like new again. Going up the twistys into the Swiss Alps I was so happy I did get myself two new tires and not just one.
    One of the guys at Moto Hell pointed out some nice roads leading south and they did not disappoint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riding today was fun and we forgot to eat and drink and only remembered to get something when we stopped for fuel.
    [​IMG]

Our course was set for Great St.Bernadine pass and except for two fuel stops and a few stops for pictures we pushed on.

Here we are eating Swiss chocolate in the Swiss Alps.
    [​IMG]

While eating chocolate, this is the view the other way.
    [​IMG]

Many say that Great St. Bernardino pass should be ridden from south to north for maximum fun, but i had great fun going up on the north side. Road is a bit more challenging and the turns are sharper, but still fun.

Reaching the pass at 6pm. Sadly there was a bit of clouds and as you can see in the picture, the top at 2474 meters we where just under the clouds. The road up and down this pass is great and something you should not miss if you are close
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the view down on the Italian side.
    [​IMG]

Going down the other side is the Italian side of the border and we finally had free internet use on our mobile phones again. Phuuu we made it. How long can you survive without Facebook these days?

I entered Barcelona, Spain into the GPS and to my present surprise the route would take us to Mount Blanc tunnel. Then we would get to see the great Mount Blanc. Mount Blanc is West Europe tallest mountain. Highest peak is 4 809 meters above sea level. A impressive sight for sure. Mont Blanc means; The white mountain.
    [​IMG]

The roads in Italy was great. Winding its way thru small city's and mountains with castles and fortresses. I will let the pictures try to tell the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tunnel was another 27 euros, but well spent. On the French side we started looking for a campsite but this took some time. When we finally found one the sun was setting and again we where pitching our tent in the dark.
    Do you guys have any idea of how hard it is to find a flat spot to pitch a tent in the Alps?

I cooked soup for Tea and had a sandwich myself. Maybe I will loose some weight on this ride :) That would not be a bad thing tho...

This is what the campsite looked like next morning.
    [​IMG]

View is ok to :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mediterranean sea next
    N-Id-Jim, snglfin, shuswap1 and 10 others like this.
  11. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant :-) can't wait for more :-)
  12. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    I found a few more pictures from the day in Switzerland and Italy that i want to show.

This is Great St. Bernardino pass on the Italian side, looking back up the way we came from.
    [​IMG]

Another two pictures of the view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Statue at the top pf the pass
    [​IMG]

Mount Blanc again
    [​IMG]

Tea cheeking if there are any new messages on her phone :)
    [​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim, snglfin, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  13. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    This night was actually a little cold. Guess my thin summer sleeping bag is not ideal for sleeping at 1100 meters above sea level.

We got on the bike and set course for the Mediterranean. Expecting to reach it before the evening and maybe with enough time to go for a quick swim in the sea. I originally planed some good roads for today going south, but because we where a little behind i decided to go for the shortest route.
    Ride started good but the nice road changed into a highway and even if the scenery was still beautiful, with high mountains on both sides, it is boring after a while. It appears that i have no pictures from this day except a few from the campsite.

We did reach Montepieler in France that evening and got problems. This apparently is popular vacation spot for French people and all campsites was full. After 1 hr searching we found one that had 1 single space free. The pool was closed and as we where not close to the sea the swim never happend.

The campsite looks nice, but as the most expensive campsite on the whole ride it was a big disappointment.
    [​IMG]

The ground was covered with some kind of small seeds that stuck to everything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had pizza and went to bed early.
  14. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    Next morning, we woke up early, for once and bike was ready and packed before 9 in the morning. But as I did not pay when we arrived I had to wait to 10 for the reception to open.

This day we set Andorra as a target and again we hit the motorway. Motorway was boring as always but the temperature was ok and there was a lot to look at as we made our way south-west towards Spain.

Andorra is a tiny independent country sandwiched between Spain and France.

From Wikipedia:

Andorra is the sixth-smallest nation in Europe, having an area of 468 km2 (181 sq mi) and a population of approximately 85,000.[1] Its capital Andorra la Vella is the highest capital city in Europe, at an elevation of 1,023 metres (3,356 ft) above sea level.[6] The official language is Catalan, although Spanish, Portuguese, and French are also commonly spoken.

I did not know much about Andorra but I had never been there before and me and Tea wanted to cheek another country on our list. Before leaving home I read somewhere in the web that road N260 from Spain to Andorra was the best bike road in Europe. I found it on the map but taking it meant a bit of a detour. I zoomed in on the road google maps picked and it looked promising, se I decided to listen to google and let my GPS go for the shortest route.

The road took us away from the French Riviera and we could see the mountains rise in front of us. I always enjoy seeing the mountains start to appear in front of me when I’m riding. It is like they are promising fun.

The scenery changes and I got this southern Europe feeling. Houses was different again and everything was dryer.
    [​IMG]
    It also got warmer and after a while Tea wanted ice-cream. We pulled over at at a grocery shop. Tea went in to get some ice-cream and I waited outside.
    She returned with a box of ice-cream.
    [​IMG]

I knew we could not eat all 8 of them and saw a family with 4 kids that was abaout to leave the car-park. I walked over and gave them the last 4 ice-creams. The mother looked at me in a funny way but with my hands I explained that we had enough and could not bring them with us. I hope the kids enjoyed the ice-cream, I know I did.
    [​IMG]

We got back on N20 heading south and something magic happened. The road turned into one of the best roads I have ever been on. There was not one straight section. The surface was good, scenery was beautiful and there was almost no traffic. I lost count of how many miles or how many hours it took but it was unbelievable perfect.

Along the route again we saw several castles and fortresses.
    [​IMG]

Another fortress
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the bridge
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the road would also pass thru small villages. At one of these small villages I spotted a ww2 GMC truck.
    [​IMG]
    I pulled over to get a picture and as a bonus I stopped just outside a open garage door. Inside was a Dodge WC-52, same truck as I have.
    [​IMG]
    I would have loved to talk to the owner but sadly he was nowhere to be seen.

After a couple hours we reached Col de Puymorens. We pulled over for a snack and to enjoy the view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thus great road continued and after a while we reached Pas de la casa. This is the last mountain pass before crossing into Andorra.

Andorra is tax-free and on the border there is a small town with shops selling all kind of stuff. Apparently electronics, alcohol and motorbike gear stuff is cheap as there were lots of shops.

We had a quick look at one of the motorbike gear shops (without buying anything) before we continued up the pass.

After more great riding we reached Andorra and parked the bike to do some sightseeing in the city.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andorra is a shopping paradise and there was lots of people everywhere. And scooters. As most places in southern Europe there was scooters everywhere.

Here is a picture of one of the scooters.
    [​IMG]

We replaced Tea’s sleeping bag with one that was even smaller than the one I bought for myself in Norway and I bought a Garmin VirbX actioncamera.
    [​IMG]

After eating, shopping and sightseeing we felt ready for more riding and we set the course for Barcelona. On the road we decided to see if we could reach Barcelona. I knew it would be late before we got there but if we found a hotel we should be good.

The last 2 hours we were riding in the dark and we reached Barcelona at midnight. I pulled over and booked a hotel using hotels.com.
    N-Id-Jim and GearDrivenCam like this.
  15. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    Next morning all our electronic devices was fully charged and we left the hotel of foot to do some sightseeing.

[​IMG]

The church Sagrada Família was just a short walk from the hotel and this church was our main target in Barcelona.
    [​IMG]
    In 1989 I was here with my parents and I wanted to see how much work they had done in the last 27 years.

Sagrada Familia is designed by the famous Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi. Work started in 1882 and they are still working on it. Some say it will never be finished but its anticipated completion date is in 2026. Guess I need to return in 10 years to cheek if its finished.
    [​IMG]

We found a café close by to eat breakfast and even if it was tasty the 40 euros is a bit more then I like to spend on breakfast.
    Even with the interesting view.

[​IMG]

We found the entrance to the church, but as I had not booked tickets there was a 6 hours waiting time to enter. Last time I was here we just bought a ticket and could explore the church freely. Apparently things change.

[​IMG]

It was hard to get a good picture of the church as its huge and there is not enough space around it. Looks like i need to get a wide angle lens.

There where also lots of others trying to take pictures.
    [​IMG]

Me and Tea discussed what to do and one of the options we considered was to stay a couple of days in Barcelona relaxing and then turn back home. Tea was not so keen on this as we wanted to see Gibraltar. Also we talked a lot about how cool it would be to cross over Gibraltar to Africa. We both wanted to get back on the bike. After all its easy to go back to Barcelona by plane.

I picked the bike up at the parking lot and cheeked the oil level. It was a little low. It has never used oil before and I was a little worried about this.

We left the hotel about midday and on the way south out of Barcelona I pulled over at a gas station and bought some oil.

The road south was not so interesting. I honestly did not know Spain was so flat. I should have done more research. But even if I would have loved to do less motorways, the plan had been all the time to push quickly south and spend more time on the return.

[​IMG]

This is the view from our hotel that night and as you can see its flat alright.
    [​IMG]

I was very hot and after several hours we were hungry again. After a little while we pulled over to find a restaurant, but this was a weird place. We were in China town. The whole street had only Chinese warehouses and shops.

[​IMG]

We turned back and this is where we had our only near accident. Some idiot in a van decided that the junction was the perfect spot for a U-turn. No signal and he never even looked. Thanks to the 150 or so horses in my bike I was able to accelerate and slip past him.

After a little we found a small restaurant and we ran into huge language problems. The waitress had no intention of even trying to understand my English or my sing language. Even the word sandwich she did not understand, even if sandwich was one of the options on the menu on the wall. A friendly man next to us with perfect English stepped in and translated for us.

After eating the sandwich, we ran into the friendly man with his family outside as they were about to leave. We had a quick chat and said our goodbyes. I love these random people you run into when on the road. Even if you know you will never meet again I enjoy it very much.

Sandwich place.
    [​IMG]

Friendly family leaving.
    [​IMG]

Our next stop was a fuel stop and here we saw 3 cool cars.

[​IMG]

As you can see this is some new model in camouflage. I believe it could be Honda. I have never seen this before so was cool. Guess the Japanese is testing the cars in hot climate. Temperature was now 40°C and there was no sign of it getting colder any time soon.

The road turned away from the coast and I was hoping for more mountains, but no luck. Shortly we were on what looks like the flattest place on earth. For hours and hours there was nothing but farmland.

We started looking for a camp site and a couple of times we saw a camp site sign along the road. Every time it ended up as a wild goose chase. After leaving the main road there was no more signs and my GPS did not have any campsites listed.

We eventually found a trucker’s motel along the road and the price for one night was only 35 euros. The receptionist told me they expected a thunderstorm and heavy rain and he asked if I wanted to park the bike in the hotel garage. I was happy to accept this and the bike was parked in a locked storage/garage behind the motel.

The room had no ac but it had wifi so we did not complain. After a hour or so it also started to rain heavy and strong wind. It was a good feeling to know the bike was safe.

A couple of pictures from the hotel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (there is a Pokestop in those stairs :)

[​IMG]
    young1, aspad, N-Id-Jim and 4 others like this.
  16. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!
  17. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice trip! I like the way you add 'subjects' to your photographs of bridges, scooters, etc.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  18. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Great to see that someone read:) English is not my first language so as you can see its a struggle.
    N-Id-Jim and Curryinahurry like this.
  19. JohnnyTh

Oddometer:
    Next morning the sun was shining again and I went down to the reception to ask them to unlock the hotel garage. Now we experienced the Spanish hospitality. The guy in the reception did not speak English and he had no intention of trying to. He kept repeating “Espania, Espanjol”. I showed him my keys that clearly said Kawasaki and tried to explain that I needed someone to unlock the door. His reply was Espania, Espanjol. I was getting annoyed and found a guy that looked like a manager. He was behind the counter in a very bust restaurant in the hotel next to the reception. He did not understand, but thankfully one of the customers did speak a little English and after 20 minutes she was able to get a reaction from the guy. He then told me to ask in the shop. At the shop there was a friendly guy and he unlocked the door and I could get my bike out.
    After filling up at the gas station next to the hotel we packed and set off.
    Soon we were in the Sierra Nevada mountains. And oh my god it was hot. In some of the gorges it was so hot I had to close the visor on my helmet to be able to breath.
    That afternoon we reached the south coast and we passed Gibraltar. On the road we passed lots of small stalls with signs that said ferry ticket. We pulled over at one of them to see how difficult it would be to get a ticket.

Tea is looking at Africa.
    [​IMG]

It was no problem at all, he just needed our passports and bike registration papers. I went back to the bike to find the registration papers and almost panicked. The papers where not where they should be. I remembered I removed the liner in my jacket at home before leaving and in this liner there is a pocket. Could I have left the papers in this pocket. I checked my pockets again and pound them. Phuu. 130 euros and I had a ticket for two and a bike to Tangir.

[​IMG]

We found the ferry terminal easily and I warned Tea that it could be a long and hot wait for the ferry.
    We lined up with lots of shitty cars loaded with all kinds of stuff.

[​IMG]

There was a few people selling some kind of entry card to Morocco, but I suspected this was a scam and I ignored them. After 3 hours we finally moved forward but the joy was short and we queued again this time for another hour.

I forgot to get a picture of our ferry, but this is the one next to us.
    [​IMG]

When we finally did board the ferry, it was a pleasant surprise. The crew was helpful and the ferry was great.

Reception on board the ferry.
    [​IMG]

A friendly lady in the reception informed me what I needed to do to enter Morocco. She also gave me the entry card they tried to sell on the terminal. So clearly it was a scam.

We first went out on on the deck and looked at the view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rock (Gibraltar)
    [​IMG]

Leaving Europe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After eating a muffin and having a coke I filed out the entry card and lined up to get it stamped at the custom office on the ferry. But before it was my turn the ferry docked in Morocco and the custom office closed. They told me it was not a problem I could do this on-shore.
    I was one of the first to disembark the ferry and I set off to the custom office. It was now midnight and I was hoping the customs would not be too much trouble.
    I stopped at a older custom officer and again he did not speak English, but he was so friendly and helpful it was not a problem. He pointed and showed me what to sign and where to go. First I had to fill in bike information on a temporary import form, then go back to the police to have them check that my passport matched the name on the registration papers. Then back to customs for more stamps. Everything took 45 minutes and we were in Morocco.
    I was a little surprised when we left the harbor area. I thought we would be in the middle of the city, but apparently this was a new ferry terminal and we were 50 km outside Tangier. We set off on and soon was on a high quality motorway. After half an hour or so the was a tool booth. The guy in the tollbooth wanted 8 dinars and he did not accept credit cards. I only had euros and after he talked to a few others he finaly accepted 1 euro as payment and I was allowed to continue.
    We reached Tangier at 2 am on Saturday night. Wow this is a busy place. Traffic was crazy and there where people everywhere. Traffic was like nothing I have ever experienced before. It was total chaos.
    I had studied the location of the hotel on the map, but here I had no map on the gps so it did take a bit of time finding the hotel. After a few minutes I was in the right area and I realized I knew the way to the hotel Continental. A few months back I followed a Norwegian guy that was riding his bike to Morocco and he posted a video blog on YouTube. I remembered he stayed at the hotel and he had filmed the road up to the hotel so I found the street. At the bottom of this steep narrow hill leading up to the hotel I was stopped by a local. He asked if I was looking for the hotel and I told him no, I know where it is. He offered to guide me to the hotel for 1 euro. Again I told him I did not need help and I rode up the steep street leading to the hotel. The guide was running behind us all the time shouting; no problem I will show you. I reached the hotel gate and he finally caught up with us and breathing heavy he told me: Hotel Continental. 1 Euro please. I laughed and gave him a euro. All that running must be worth something.
    The hotel was beautiful. Old with a true African felling. The time was now 3 am and we turned the ac on and went to bed.

Sorry about the lack of pictures. But i was to tired to stop for pictures and it was to dark.
    SDR82, N-Id-Jim, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  20. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Great reading so far :thumb

Thanks and enjoy!

Cheers,

JM.