You're invited to a ceremonial burning TODAY...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by danbrew, Aug 13, 2006.

1. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    of my Iron Butt ultimate coast to coast paperwork...

Left Chicago and went to Key West with the goal of hitting Prudhoe Bay. If you're in Fairbanks you know the weather has been getting grayer and grayer the last few days. I didn't even leave the pavement on the Dalton Highway yesterday - made it about 40 miles north before the fog, rain, and reduced visibility caused me to think about how badly I wanted the UCC. Not bad enough, I suppose. I turned back. The weather looks about the same today. Shit.

I've got a few days to kill since I'm not doing PB, so I'd like to invite the local adventure riders to the bar of your choice for a few rounds. I'll buy the first round. It's gotta be tonight - I'm headed south tomorrow. I'm staying at the Super 8 near Airport Way, so would be perfect if the spot was nearby. Will need to cab it because I'm gonna need a few drinks after burning my paperwork...

So... some kind soul in Fairbanks - suggest a time & place, please. I'll buy the first round - unless you're shitty enough to show up on a mud slathered bike just in from Deadhorse. Then you buy the first round.

:lol3 :freaky
  2. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    Are you going to make it to Anchorage??

TR:huh
  3. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    I hadn't planned on it, but I'm kicking it around - my ferry leaves Valdez on Thursday, so I've got time. Interestingly enough, though, the ferry then goes from Valdez to Whittier - I suppose I could just pick it up in Whittier and skip the first leg. The AMH reservation system isn't exactly intuitive...

I'm probably gonna go down to Denali and do something like a helicopter tour - why not? I'm a little bummer about the weather the last few days - and the forecast for the rest of the week. I'm not getting superb mountain shots the way I had hoped due to the cloud layers, etc.

What's the advrider contingent like in Anchorage? There must be a handful, at least.

:D
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    I have done the heli tours outa denali and they are sub-par to a flightseeing glacier landing outa talkeetna....Dude, I would HIGHLY recommending hooking up with Helikron, head down to Paxson cut across the Denali Highway, base camp in Talkeetna, catch a flightseeing tour then head into Anchorage and eventually catch your boat outa Whittier. You could probably even nail a ride to seward.

my .02c.
  5. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    With the WX the way it is, I dunno if a flightseeing tour will be all that great anyway, unless you want to see what the inside of a cloud looks like. (It's puffy and gray BTW). It's probably snowing up towards Deadhorse anyway.

This summer was really slow coming in, looked really promising at the end of May and then went right into the toilet. A guy can only wonder what winter will bring......

in about 2 weeks. :bluduh
  6. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........you sure you wanna call it off???:huh Weather looks like it is ganna be good this week.:deal Check it out...........
    http://www.arh.noaa.gov/

Ok......if you mind is made up come on down this way. There is a bunch a folks around here. Good brew pub here in Wasilla.

Gonna be mostly cloudy so you may not see much flightseeing. :dunno You will have to play that one by ear. You will get a better deal on flightseeing in Talkeetna. Denali Park (Glitter Gulch) ain't all that great and is expensive. :deal Ok I am kinda jaded.......used to haul people there.:D Rafting is fun to do on a shit day though.
  7. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    yeah... i've really debated it with myself. I need to catch the ferry in Valdez at 8:00a on Thursday. Or 10:00p on Thursday in Whittier. The Whittier/Juneau run only goes twice a month - unless I want to ride back to the lower 48 I need to catch the ferry. I could do it if I had too - but I'd rather sit on the boat and drink for a few days...

:freaky
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I say come on down and then do the 800mi and catch the ferry in Haines. Or at least come down and catch it in Whittier. The MV Kennicott you'll be on is my least favorite of all the ferries and I wouldn't want to be on it any longer than I had to.

Do the Denali HWY or at least ride across Hatcher Pass on your way down to Anchorage. And it's gorgeous ridin down the arm towards Portage and then Whittier! Good luck. Have fun, Mark H.
  9. Fireground

Fireground Parking the engine

Oddometer:
    Lemme know when you hit the Juneau area, I'll buy you a round.

:freaky

364-3366 = Douglas Fire Station (home)

Rob
  10. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ALASKA in August?? :evil
  11. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    k, i'm gonna leave fairbanks shortly and go screw around in denali and then overnight in Talkeetna and then motor to Seward tomorrow, probably spend the night there, and on Wednesday or Thursday head over to Whittier to pick up the ferry there.

thanks to all for the suggestions on stuff to do...

:D
  12. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Have some fun Dan...despite this shitty weather.:1drink
  13. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    yeah, what kills me is I oughta know better - i lived in fairbanks for a few years back in the 80s when i was stationed at wainwright...

go figure. :lol3