1. eNewsletter Sign Up

You've been warned

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Bad Wolf, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    A couple more 'Merikins are heading your way! :eek1

The plan:
    We're arriving in Chirstchurch on March 5 and picking up a Strom from NZBike - because I don't like variety :D

We'll be contributing to the south island's economy over the next two weeks, touring around and hoping for clear enough weather to experience the awesomeness of the Southern Alps - including a flying tour over the one of the most beautiful places on this planet.

The plan -
    Christchurch to Punakaiki via Arthur's Pass
    Cave rafting!
    Then to St. Arnaud
    to Kiakoura
    Whale watching!
    to Maruia Hot Springs Resort
    Luxury and soaking!
    to Franz Josef
    Walking around and more soaking
    to Queenstown
    Restaurant on the mountain
    Day trip to Glenorchy
    (We might spend a second night in Queenstown)
    to Milford Sound
    Jucy tour boat on the sound
    to Tuatapere
    (if we spend two nights in Queenstown, we'll skip this stop and head over...
    to Papatowai
    Cathedral Cave
    Catlins waterfalls and hikes
    to Dunedin
    Spend two days, do the Elm wildlife tour all day, Chinese gardens, local exploring
    to Lake Tekapo
    Air Safari over the Southern Alps
    NZ Earth and Sky if it's clear REALLY if there are southern lights :ear
    More soaking in the local springs
    to Christchurch where we turn in the bike, cry a lot about our dream trip coming to a close
    Arctic center, we hope to do the extra ticket and tickle a penguin :clap

That's the plan, a two week figure 8 tour of the island everyone knew was gorgeous and LOTR gave us further proof!

We hope to meet some of our Kiwi ADV brothers and sisters while we visit and would love any recommendations and tips to the above plan.

Feel free to say hi if you spot us during the first two weeks of March. We'll be on a rental Strom, two up, my coat is hi-viz yellow and her coat is black. :freaky

Most of our time will be camping at DOC campgrounds and holiday parks.
  2. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Oh, and...

I sincerely apologize in advanced that we will likely slaughter your pronunciations and spelling.

and I promise to stay left. :deal
  3. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    I know I'm asking a broad question, what kind of weather - generally- can we expect in March? Cold, wet, dry, clear, rainy?

thanks
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. You forgot hot. :D
  5. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you look pretty well sorted. And you seem to have done your homework which is great to see. :thumb That's probably why you haven't had many replies so far. (because you seemed to have it all sorted.)

Give us a reminder closer to the time (we have short... uh.. i forget..) and update your thread as you travel. I'm sure you'll meet plenty of us about the place.

I hope you have a great trip.

Hmm good question. I have added it to [post=17693357]the FAQ thread.[/post] (with a more detailed answer.)

I had a quick google and found this: http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan....html#regional which contains average temps and rainfalls by season for each region.

In your case, March is a really nice time to tour as the weather is generally at the end of summer/beginning of autumn. However having said that, what I wrote in the FAQ thread still applies. Think: changeable. Dress for all conditions, layers are good.
  6. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats LIFT! You must keep to the LIFT!
  7. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    That's "luft" :pissed you inbred spawn of convicts. :lol3

As opposed to "leeeeeft" in arse-trar-le-ar. :zilla
  8. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Anyone willing to be my local south island emergency contact? PM me. I'll buy you your favorite beer and hopefully never see you again. :deal
  9. Shewolfnz

Shewolfnz Heels on wheels

Oddometer:
    I like this guy you're gonna fit right in

10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome (Yowdy partner) I've done two tours in the south over March and weather was excellent for riding. The beauty of it (apart from the scenery) is if you get heavy rain on one side of the isalnd you can change your plans and head over to the other side. We did that on our first tour and never sore more than a bit of drizzel. Didn't get any rain down there on last years visit! :evil but your itinery seems pretty well planed out so you might not have the flexibility we had? There is a drought down that way at the moment but hopefully the rains will come before your visit.
  11. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:

Thanks. I haven't made reservations, this is a plan - which I am more than capable and happy to modify (as long as I still get to fly over the alps, explore Milford, and see glow worms.

I will definitely be spending some late nights waiting to catch a glimpse of the elusive Kiwi bird! I have memorized their song. :ear
  12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I am not sure about the sorted :-) I didn't read the words, Nevis, Thomson track, Hawthorne, Old Dunstan, Dansey's, Hakataramea, Molsworth etc. He is going to most of the tourist traps :evil

[​IMG]
  13. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Sorry...rented bike.
  14. wpoll

wpoll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm Dunedin, so if you need a pointer to the best coffee/beer/rides, give us a shout! :D
  15. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Franz Josef to Queenstown I can safely assume you are going over the Crown range road :D if not why not fool!! :evil Bust your budget for a night and stay at the Cadronna Hotel. You wont regret it :freaky
  16. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:

Hmmm. Looks like a nice cut off to trim some time off Hwy 6. Is this more scenic than Hwy 6? That hotel suggestion looks gorgeous, but it's out of our budget right now. We were looking at camping in or around Queenstown close enough to explore the nightlife a little or maybe over in Glenorchy.

Thanks for the tip, I think we'll take it! :thumb
  17. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed in the Wanaka Top 10 motor camp last year and was a little disappointed with it. On the plus side most of the eateries in Wanaka run a free courtesy bus so you can get in and out of town in real clothes not bike gear.
    State Highway 6 through the Kawerau Gorge is nice but the rest is fairly straight. crown Range is by far the better ride. It is the highest sealed road in NZ (not that it means stuff all but its an interesting fact :huh ) Arrowtown is a nice stop.
    Rode with an American a few years back. He tied a ribbon on the left hand side of his handlebars to remind him which side of the road to be on. Simple but it worked.
  18. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:

I think I'll survive the left side thing if I make it out of the parking lot. :lol3 But my buddy Marty was just there and reminded us of the psychological challenges of the left handed round-a-bouts:eek1
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    You anywhere near Wanaka still? .... can offer a bed if you want before the weekend when we head to Catlins.

PM me if you want, cheers Andi
  20. Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    We haven't arrived in NZ yet. :D

We be there in March. :freaky