You've got $2000 to spend and an open calendar. What trip would you plan in North America?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by WhereverIMayRoam, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony doesn't use single track or technical trails, it's pretty much forest service roads for the most part.

I did try to do a little trail work just outside of Wendover to get the sidecar through a washout. But it was going to take a long time in 90 degree heat so we took a detour of around 5 miles.

090315 Trail work Wendover UT.JPG

The HOW shows how you don't have to do technical riding to get out into some really remote beautiful places.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Western States for sure. As I live in Southern California I’d ride to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. I’d make the money last as long as I could without being uncomfortable. Probably a 20 day round trip on paved roads. Hey wait.....this is what we do......a lot......we rarely do a ride report for such trips. Also 20 days down Baja and back is awesome for $2000, but it’s not considered El Norte.
    kantuckid likes this.
  3. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Leaving from Delawhere? I'd hang a west and gravitate north/south based on weather. I'd go look around in the Rockies and points west. I'm sitting in Delaware as I type this and have plans to do exactly that in a few months.
    WhereverIMayRoam likes this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
  5. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What type of bike? What kind of riding?

Been to Alaska before? Go to Dawson YT for D2D (June) , ride under the midnight sun, have a few brews, make some new friends.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been to Alaska twice and both times on a budget. I unfortunately sont think it's realistically doable for 2k.

Still worth every penny
  7. Poznos

Poznos Aspirational Hobo

Oddometer:
    That question is pretty well on par with what I'm doing!
    In about three weeks I'm going to ride from the keys to the Adirondacks, then south to hook up with the TAT. I plan to ride it slow and hop on and off the trail as I like. I'll ride the PCH south and then come back to northern CA or OR to wherever I want to hole up for the winter.
    Free camping and fairly basic food all the way. I've got a stack of books that are coming with me that are gonna finally get read. Hopefully I can stretch it 3 or 4 months if I sprinkle in some odd jobs.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    This summer I'm going to be riding the Trans Taiga Road in northern Quebec. My budget is far less than $2000, but I'll be camping the entire way, and packing most of my food with me, so my budget will be almost entirely fuel.
    jfman likes this.
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see folks undertaking this less traveled to destination.
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the James Bay Road a few years ago. I didn't have the time or fuel capacity to ride the Trans Taiga that trip (well, I rode about 20 miles of it just to get a feel for it), but I've vowed to go back ever since. I absolutely love the scenery and remoteness of that area.
    jfman likes this.
  11. WhereverIMayRoam

WhereverIMayRoam Roamer, Wanderer....

Oddometer:
    What part of Delaware? I'm down in Lewes, the military brought me here and the kids I had with an evil women keep me here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  12. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Wilmington. I live in Northern MD and work in DE. My in laws have a place in Lewes.
  13. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Colorado
  14. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    North rim of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley areas in late September, early October taking in the fall colors.
  15. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    It all comes down to what the OP wants; what he's familiar with.

When I got into riding, late 1980s, I had a burning need to head West. Even tried, with my loaded SR500...that trip ended with an ambulance ride in Roscommon County, Michigan.

Move forward 32 years, and I've been West and moved West, have seen the West and live in the West. It's beautiful out here, but it's no longer a novelty. Had I the money (I do have the time) I'd take a ride back EAST, to my old hangouts...ride the Adirondacks, NY 12 and 28, and then up to Maine, which I have never seen.

But it's individual choices. Like camping-versus-Motel-Sux is an individual choice.

Planning is up to individual taste; but the important thing IS to plan. Flexible, but with an idea of what you want to see and do.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha you want me to read all 78 pages for ya :lol3 (it's a joke)
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, please do. My military voice says, read this, then report back to me...:rofl
  18. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a month long trip through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize in 2012 for $2000. The cost of our room was typically around $27/night split in two. We ate very well and I also bought gifts for friends and family in that budget.
    Halen likes this.
  19. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The secret to a great trip is planning.
    First off, which direction to you want to go. From Delaware, east is out. But north, south or west?
    When that is determined, look for places you really want to visit.
    Going to the west coast you take the northern route and visit Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Peak and Seattle.
    Then take the southern route home and see the things along that trail.
    Going north you can do the great rides in New England, then up to Canada for the Cabot Trail and then Newfoundland for a tour.
    Once you know the direction and the places you want to stop, just figure out the route.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Delaware...I missed that.
    I'm from Newark, DE...but escaped in '95.