You've got $2000 to spend and an open calendar. What trip would you plan in North America?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by WhereverIMayRoam, Apr 1, 2018.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Wait...are you really planning or just bored in the winter and possing a hypothetical ?
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are doing it in June for less than that. Found a 3 bedroom house on 7 acres with a stream running through it for $1000 a week in Robbinsville, NC. Every day we'll leave and head in a different direction. And we've still got a grand left for booze:D
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's quite debatable. Many of us enjoy having a general idea of where we're going, and then let things unfold as they may.
    Halen and knight like this.
  4. WhereverIMayRoam

WhereverIMayRoam Roamer, Wanderer....

Oddometer:
    OP here, at the moment all hypothetical. My bikes are in pieces on the garage floor, an unwanted divorce turned me into a single patent and a trumped up restraining order from an evil ex wife means that for the next 4 months I only get 3 days off at a time by myself to go anywhere. Hopefully the court hearing in September goes well and I can earn a two week vacation in the fall. I've been on a dozen trips cross country on bikes but most of it was paved and on crotch rockets, I'd like to get way off the beaten path. My bike is nothing special. Heavily farkled 2007 klr650. I'm in my late 40's with a heart condition, but a handful of meds every day keep my ticker ticking. I'll probably do the TAT, although there's a lot of gratuitous gravel between DE and Colorado. I have ridden the Moab area and loved it, I could easily spend weeks out there just exploring.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    Faced with the question of a few weeks and a little bit of money, I planned a ride to the newly road-reachable Tuktoyaktuk. It's a 90 mile extension of the Dempster hwy that opened just this year, and takes it all the way to the arctic sea. I leave in July. I think it will be neat to be there the first year, so you can really gauge how much it changes over the years. And the well known destinations do change. As an example, I've never done the Dalton hwy up to Deadhorse, but it used to really intrigue me. But even in just the past 10 years, I've seen through ride reports, it get keeps getting more and more tame and more and more busy. It's probably not half the adventure it was 20 years ago.

Which is why I'm already thinking about the next trip, after my ride to Tuk. I think there is a real novel ride to be made out of the "Trans-Taiga" road. It's basically 400 miles of dirt road in the middle of nowhere Quebec, that ends at a very remote reservoir. Then you have to turn around and ride it back. Some real logistic's planning needed. Even more self sufficiency needed. And I hear Quebec is awesome for riding, so you get that on the way to/from. It'd make a good adventure.

As a third option, consider leaving north america. Find a good deal on a round trip ticket to someplace, Dehli or Oslo or Quito - where ever the price is right and intrigues you. The plane ticket will eat up a chunk of the 2K, but probably not as much as you think if you're a little flexible. Rent a bike for a week or two, however long you can with whats left. I spent 6 weeks riding an enfield though Nepal doing a trip like that, for not a whole lot more than your 2K.
  6. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    2K would last me 2 months as I camp..............................
  7. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer's coming, the refinery's burning-gas prices will increase. Plan $30.00 day for gas or more. Campground $20.00 a night with meals probably close to that. This is $60.00 a day which will give you some idea of time. I would lay out a map, so I could look at all of it at once and figure where to start the trip, guess at the miles per day andfind points I would want to hit. As the trip reaches mid point, I would figure out how much money is left and add sections if possible.
    Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are both close by, for something different or head to the west and ride the desert or mountains there. The Appalachians are in your backyard, so I would travel somewhere further while I had the time.
    Sunds like a great trip.
  8. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Delaware, it's close to Canada's east coast. Ride up Rt. 138 in Quebec as far as you can go--nobody ever does that. Or do the Trans Lab. You could spend a month just in Newfoundland alone.

But as I live in the east coast, I can tell you it rains all the time here, and if IIIIII had $2k to spend, no question I'd go to the southwest US. Perfect riding weather, lots of open country. I rode there from Toronto in 2013 and have been back for a few shorter visits since. Nothing else compares in the US.
  9. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a KLR, I'd budget $30-40 a day, half for gas, the rest for food and entry fees into interesting things. Camp for free wherever you can, and if you make friends, a lot of people will give you a roof when you need it and laundry, etc.

If you MUST stay indoors at night, look into Airbnb, etc.
  10. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to the OP:

$2K and time?
    Dr Strangelove - A fella could have pretty good weekend in Vegas (Slim Pickens).jpg
  11. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like the OP has 2 weeks in the fall. From DE, looks like either North to Adirondacks and NE or south west through VA,WV, NC,TN,GA. Late September on, I'd head south. Great roads, scenary, towns, people. Some can be really touristy and best avoided, like Gatlinburg, TN. Some are really nice, like Hot Springs, NC. A way to tell is look for lodging in town of interest, If you get more than a handful of options, pobably too touristy.