You've got a 525EXC and 7 days. Where to go from SoCal?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Wallrat, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife is tired of watching me lust after the ADV photos on the front page and told me to take my next week off (in 2 weeks) and go somewhere. I ride the local deserts every month - maybe somewhere different? I've got a truck but kinda-sorta thinking about tenting it on the bike. I've got equipment and bags to make it possible, but freeways are still gonna be annoying no matter what I do to that bike.

Any suggestions?
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect time of year to ride moab. Drive truck out and back, camp in moab. Tons of great rides for u to do. Great maps available and trails are for the most well marked. Hell slick rock the trail is painted onto rock !
  3. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Death Valley?

Anza Borrego?

I was also going to suggest Moab. Another place to consider, but a longer drive, is Big Bend in Texas.
  4. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moab is on my short list. Was also thinking:

Baja (not sure if the borders have settled down though)
    Death Valley
    Mammoth (still have snow?)
    Arizona (nowhere in particular, just never ridden there so why not)

Or my personal favorite:
    FLY N RIDE and explain the missing chunk of savings when I get home! :evil
  5. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I ride Anza several times/year so I was kinda hoping for something new/different/adventurous.

Moab would be my 1st choice but damn its far. 750 miles so I figure that's my maximum distance. Anything further and I'd rather just go there.
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Baja has been settled for years. Park at Tecate or Calexico and ride south. The only down side is you'll be kicking yourself for not going sooner. Tons of info on this site. See the recent ride report by Moto Vaquero to get you psyched and provide tracks
  7. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    South
  8. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Death Valley, Spectacular views, cool destinations & just plain fun. Better put on the Acerbis 6 gal. tank though. Enjoy!

RIDE ON!
  9. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Baja................Baja.................and More Baja...............just like Jonz said go south now is the time for sure.............:wink::wink::wink:

If you have a GPS I'll send you some easy tracks.........send me a PM with a email address.......
  10. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Baja is going to start warming up........................so.

That being said, probably not a wise solo choice though. MotoV has a deep knowledge of Baja and understood the risk of riding solo.
  11. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Baja is out. Just gonna cost too much up front since I have to buy lots of camping gear already (considerably more than if I'm living out of my truck) + rush a renewal of my expired passport.

Plus yeah there is the issue of going solo. I've never been south of San Felipe.
  12. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to Utah via AZBDR and onto the TAT to the border with Colorado at the end of April. You can join me if you like.
  13. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What dates? I only have Apr 18-24th to play with.
  14. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Probably 30th through the 6th of May.
  15. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    You like single track? Lake Isabella and the Piutes have superb single track. Get in touch with Chris Horgan at Stewards of the Sequoia. Help him clear trail for the morning and he will hook you up. You could spend several days riding there.
  16. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Moab would be sweet this time of year.

If it doesn't pan out, you could head north along the west side of the Sierra (anything above 6000 feet just got more snow). The lower elevation stuff along the foothills is all dust free right now. Some areas are even allowing campfires until things dry out. In the central Sierra, there is a lot of good riding between Mariposa and Auburn. The pass to Tahoe should be open, so you could explore the east side on the back.
  17. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided on Moab despite having to catch the last few days of Easter Jeep Week. Baja was just getting too pricey with having to get a rush passport in addition to the camping gear I need. Plus having never been south of San Felipe I figure I'd be better off saving Baja for a non-solo or at least properly planned ride. Moab sounds like it'll be good for a short notice trip. Thanks everyone for their input! :clap
  18. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    When I went to Moab, my wife and I were on a Western USA loop in our 4X4 truck with the mountain bikes. We stopped in to the visitor center there in town, and the people there were very helpful, even asking how modified our vehicle was, how much risk of vehicle damage we were comfortable with, and what we would like to see. Its a great place to start.

There are a bunch of cool trails around there, such as the Gemni Bridges, Poison Spider, and others.

Camping on the southeast side of Colorado River where it crosses Hwy 191 would be perfect for someone on a bike, or the developed campground on the northwest side if you want shower facilities.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Bummer. I'm planning on getting to Moab on the 24th. I'll be camping at Sand Flats