Yuasa battery failure (Model GYZ-16H)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mackdaddy, Dec 16, 2020.

1. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I hope everyone is doing cool and being safe with everything going on today. Well, my Yuasa battery died on my 2014 F800GS Adventure. I had installed a replacement battery for the OEM battery in May 2019. I went in the garage yesterday and it was dead as a nail. The bike is always garaged and always on a battery tender. I have to say that this a a shock for me with a Yuasa battery. I have been using them forever and this is the first time I have never gotten like five years from a battery. I realize that things happen sometimes but just wanted to pass this on tithe inmates. Keep an eye on your battery!
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the battery died while attached to a tender? What type of tender? That is very odd, frankly.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I know. I have never had that happen. It was the good old Deltran Battery Tender, 12 V at 1.25 amps
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you check the charging voltage with the leads connected to the batt. I suspect a flaw somewhere and a drain may have a hand in the failure. I look after probably 15 batts and have had pretty good luck..... with some effort, to avoid replacement costs. Our F700s are using batts that are from early 2013 and still doing just fine(knock on wood)
    Vark likes this.
  5. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I will be sure to take a look.
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Battery tenders are actually not the answer if you keep them on the battery permanently. Better to go for a ride or disconnect the battery. Tenders can drain the battery fluid and end up damaging the batteries.
    sieg, ChicoProf and nvklr like this.
  7. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Really? I was told it was just good the keep them hooked up if you could.
  8. Loutre

Oddometer:
    That's one of those lazy myths still hanging around. If you have one of those white transparent batteries you can actually see the liquide becoming lower over time.

Better to fully charge and disconnect the battery if you don't plan on riding the bike. It's the same with fuel stabilizers for winterising the bike. They don't necessarily do a good job but marketing is strong on these products. Let me see if I can find you some videos on this.
    sieg and nvklr like this.
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:

If you have 20min to spare. Informative and funny.
    mackdaddy and spencermarkd like this.
  10. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am suspicious of a power drain, too. But it would have to be significant if it drained the battery dead while it was simultaneously connected to a charger.

Sometimes even batteries with a good reputation can have a bad cell and experience premature failure. It would be interesting to get some diagnostics on that battery and see if the root problem can be identified.
  11. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Good buddy of mine and his wife went through a bunch of batteries when they were always connecting them to a charger. They had some fancy chargers sold from the BMW emporium. I would use cheap battery tenders but put them on those mechanical timers you use for lamps with the pins to set on and off. Only on about an hour a day for winter storage. Always got 6 or more years out of a battery. Now I can’t be bothered and charge a couple of times over the winter for a day or so. Getting almost the same lifespan.
    ROMAD likes this.
  12. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Hey gang, I am trying to see if Yuasa customer service can help me out with the warranty. I know the battery is only warranted for a year but hope spring eternal right.

I have pulled the battery and currently trying to charge the battery via my battery tender. The question is if it holds a charge should I still have faith in the battery. I am curious to hear everyone’s feedback.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look after about 15 batteries and my little $50 common-as-dirt (clamp) meter is used frequently to monitor charge rates and voltage, resting and charging. Very much a worthwhile effort so far.
  14. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I have the Clearwater monitor system on my battery currently. That is the system with the simple LED light. It works great when you have the bike moving but it would be nice to add a simple system that would give me battery voltage, amperage, etc via a small add on unit. I see a couple of items on Amazon around $20 but I am welcome to suggestions.
  15. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you’re trying to charge that battery with the same tender/charger that you had it connected to when the battery went bad, then you’re spinning your wheels. I’d try to buy/borrow I different charger to start with. Most auto parts stores can test the battery, not sure if they will charge it for you also, but I’d call around and ask. Do you have a volt meter?
  16. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I do have a voltmeter and there are a couple of places I can take the battery to to test it out.
    Vark and nvklr like this.
  17. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Hey gang, Yuasa was cool enough to issue me a replacement battery. It arrived yesterday in a Moose ATV battery box. I shot a quick line to Yuasa letting them know that they didn't send me a like for like replacement. The very nice customer service agent assured me that it is the same battery as the Yuasa and the only difference is the Yuasa is not inked on one side. I am attaching some pics for reference. It makes you wonder who else is Yuasa making batteries for in the commercial market.

[​IMG]
    The Yuasa is the one on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Yuasa has the May 2019 label.
    Vark likes this.
  18. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As for battery tenders, I agree with Loutre. I personally have had more trouble with batteries that were on tenders. I plug the tenders in occasionally to bring the battery up to full charge but do not let them on for an extended time any more.
    As for a Yuasa battery not lasting 5 years, well I've had some die sooner and some last longer but I do use Yuasa batteries whenever posable.
    As for Yuasa making other brand batteries, hell yes. It's pretty common for every thing in manufacturing. Only a few manufactures lots of brands. Be glad the helped you out at all after the warranty period.
  19. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the note. Totally makes sense for Yuasa to manufacturer for other people. I was very grateful that they looked out for me. I was always a fan but even more of a fan now with the great customer service.
    Vark likes this.
  20. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be trying a Yuasa when the time comes. I’m on year 4 of a Deka installed by the previous owner. It has shown no signs of weakness as yet, but the clock is obviously ticking.