1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Yuasa battery for F650Gs twin

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Hardknock, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Hardknock

Hardknock hardknock

Oddometer:
    Hi All:
    I would like to replace my OEM battery with a Yuasa battery. Is there one that fits without any mod? Cheers, norm
  2. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    YUASA YTX 12 BS

Get it shipped dry and fill it yourself, fresher that way.

Wait an hour after filling it, then charge it with an automatic charger of 1 to 6 amps.

The wait after filling it is important! Many dealerships screw that part up.

The battery is an exact drop in replacement, infact Yuasa owns Excide, but the japan built Yuasa is better then the USA built excide.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Joel:

Do you ever see the need to "top up" the acid after the 1 hour wait?

I've never "activated" an AGM style battery, but with the "conventional" Yuasa units I have always needed to top up again after waiting an hour or two.

PS: I thought the twins took the YTX 14 BS ?
  4. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, no. I really do mean the Yuasa YTX 12 BS. The YTX 14 is the one thats already in there made by Yuasa/Exide (Yuasa owns Excide powersports). If you manage to get one built in Japan, they are rumored to be better, but its anyones guess as to what will come in if ordered. 75% of the time we order the YTX14, we end up with a USA built battery which is PRECISELY the same battery made by the same people from the same assembly line, the same battery that keeps failing in the F800GS but with a Yuasa label.

The YTX 14 BS is the same battery as the YTX 14 but does not come factory activated.

The Yuasa YTX 12 BS is always made in Japan and has different internal components, most notably a different length buss bar, which I personally think in the YTX14 is just the right length to resonate from the Rotax twin vibrations and die a sudden death.

Now if you really want a special battery, order the Yuasa YTZ 12s These are better made and lighter batteries. A little bird informed me that this part # will be the stock battery in late 2010 or possibly early 2011, as soon as BMW runs out of YTX14 batteries. That same little birdy accurately predicted that R12GS's were going to the same YTZ battery when it did.

SPECS:
    YTX14 150X87X145mm 200 CCA 12 AH C/20 (icky stock battery)

YTX14 BS same as above, but field activated.

YTX12 BS 150X87X130mm 180 CCA 10 AH C/10 (good and cheap field activated battery, a little shorter, put some foam plastic or wood under strap. CCA is less but still up to the task. AH is also less, but it is also less in any YTX14 battery a few months into life cause this battery falls apart)

YTZ12S 150X87X110mm 210 CCA 11 AH C/10 (soon to be stock battery and direct OEM replacement with plastic spacer underneath)

YTZ14S 150X87X110mm 230 CCA 11.2 AH C/10 (slightly more CCA and AH then YTZ12S but rumored to be at the expense of being more sensitive to vibration)

So, in a much more complex post, if you want an inexpensive quality replacement battery that drops in with no modifications to the bike, get the Yuasa YTX12 BS and add a piece of foam, rubber, wood under top strap to secure, or buy a battery spacer that fits on the bottom, or put foam on the bottom, whatever.

If you want a top quality battery, soon to be OEM for the F650 / 800. Get the YTZ12 S. Get a spacer or shove something non conductive under the top strap same as above.

As for filling, you don't need to add more electrolyte if you add the correct quantity slow enough. Quantity of electrolyte and all cells being exactly equal is important on all batteries for longevity, but even more crucial for starved electrolyte, valve regulated, absorbed glass matt batteries (AGM).

But it's moot cause all of the field activated batteries I listed above come with a 6 pack auto filler. You can't get it wrong, just take the 6 pack of electrolyte and jam it down onto the cell openings and it fills the battery equally and slowly :)
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel!

All sounds good... except ... I'm not sure I want to be around a 6-pack auto filler ... of ACID ... :lol3
  6. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run the YTZ 14S in mine and I put 1" thick pad of foam in the bottom of the tray. Makes the battery sit at the stock height and reduces vibration to the battery. The YTZ series has never let me down on any of my bikes. I run YTZ series in all of them.
  7. Hardknock

Hardknock hardknock

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the very informative post! Cheers, norm
  8. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bring this old thread up. But it needs a follow-up. My original exide battery died after 1.5 years of use and was replaced under warranty. The new BMW lasted for, I believe, 3.5 years. After reading this post I bought a japanese made, factory activated yuasa YTZ12S. After 2-3 months I realized it wasn't cranking as fast. Into the winter it started acting up, not cranking well, voltage droping to much. I thought my new design alternator was going down because when I used my heated gear the voltage drop was excessive. In spring cranking got better but after I left the bike for 10 min. with the flashers on, it would not crank at all. After swithing the flashers off and putting it to neutral, it barely started the bike. Since I used the bike everyday and just started the bike 2 or 3 times daily, it did not give me any problem. Now with the winter again, it would barely crank it. But the voltage would go down to 5V and the gages would redo the start-up checking. I finaly bought a user activated bosch YTX14bs. Today I turned on the heated gear and the heated grips at max. The volatage was stable at 13.7 just as before. So it must have been the yuasa battery drawing maybe extra 10 or so amps, overloading my alternator. I will never touch a yuasa again for sure. Either it is a hit and miss thing or just the yuasas are not the same as before. I searched the net and there were other people complaining about it. Some even thought it was a fake yuasa. I think yuasa became a fake battery itself. I can't believe I paid more than twice the amount I paid for bosch battery just to burry it in a few months. Yeah I am angry. There will be people who will praise their 7 year old yuasa. I doubt they are the same anymore.