1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Yuasa YT12-BS vs YTX14-BS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Flopix, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Flopix

Flopix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys

My bike needs to be on a truck next Saturday, direction Las Vegas. As I was preparing it and testing everything, I noticed my battery wasn't doing so well. I used my 12V pump for like, a minute.... and then decided to fire the bike just in case.... and it started but there was a moment when I thought it wouldn't.

I know the pump can pull a lot of amps so... maybe this is normal. But I've ridden the bike since and I feel the battery isn't 100%. I plugged my charger tonight, it will help a bit I guess but I can't say I feel confident.

I could probably get a new battery before Saturday, it's tight, but doable.

But I also have a YT12A-BS in my Aprilia Tuono, it's almost new (about a year), the size is almost the same (the YTX14 is a bit taller)... Could I simply use that battery?

YTX14-BS has more CCA (200 vs 175) and has 1.4A vs 1.0... but a mostly new YT12A-BS is certainly better than the YTX14 at the end of it's life... Any opinions on that?
  2. Flopix

Flopix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, nevermind. I double-checked the specs and the YTX14-BS is 40mm taller. The smaller YT12A would probably work, but I don't think it can be installed safely.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe next time (hopefully there won't be one) you need the pump, with a questionable bat, just leave the engine running. Once a bat shows weakness, it's almost always down hill from there, unless it was discharged from sitting too long or has a parasitic draw.