Yucatan Enduro rentals and routes?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mucci, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Mucci

Mucci Builder

Oddometer:
    Hey folks,

We just bought our tickets to Cancun in September on a whim. We're looking to explore the Yucatan, like Tulum, Chichen Itza, etc.

1. Does anyone rent enduros? Even small displacement would be great. We're not looking to rent Harley's or GS's. With the price of big bike rentals I was even wondering if buying used enduros would be cheaper for the week. From what I'm seeing it's $5/day to rent a car and $150+ for a bike...

2. Does anyone have some good off-roading routes or even B road routes with beautiful views?

We're looking to stay off the highways and away from tourist centers.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg As you found in your research the rental bike picture in the Yuacatan is sort of pricy. Similar to other resort areas inMexico the bike rentals are intended for non motorcyclist tourists as a fun day around the resort area.
    Or it is a full Hog rental for the rich tourists who want the Hog Experience .
    At $150US per day for a week , including insurance & road plated (?) it might be better than trying to buy used and getting it registered .
    Buying used" enduro" bikes is a whole lot of searching in the limited supply , time spent on paperwork etc
    A new Italika 250 adv bike would set you back $ 3600 at Liverpool or Elektra stores, Soriana et al .

Looking for great scenery is relative, the whole peninsula is rather level and lots of brushy jungle .
    The Mayan ruins sites are served by good roads .

There ARE a lot of fun narrow paved rural roads and gravel roads to be found . Look at a really detailed road map and ask locally for " Carreteras Blancas" = " white roads" because they are made of crushed white limestone rock.
    " Off road trails " are hard to come by , they are the tracks to Mayan hamlets in the jungle . Or you could be trespassing on a big ranch or Memnonite farm colony .
    For some longer unpaved segment look in the central area where the 3 states come together eg from north of
    Hopelchen east there is a nice Carretera Blanca east through the bush and some farm field headlands to San Felipe whet you rejoin roads of QR You may get to see flocks of green parrots flying alongside
    There are more such tracks across the sector which do not show on a regular road map .
    Take note that such farm field tracks could get really difficult, muddy in the wet season , Sept still being in late wet season . (hurricane season)
    Mucci likes this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few images as suggestions for what to look for . This is in Quintana Roo but similar info exists for Yucatan image.jpeg image.jpeg
    This is the trail associated with the banner to Ej . Chacchoban . You can find it on the map which shows main highways in colour . The white lines represent the important local roads , but lots more exist which can be a single spread of asphalt or dirt . Jungle growth crowds the sides . Small villages , pueblos chicleros, are scattered through that eastern region of QR and YUC . West of that the land is more farmed and more populated but still plenty of narrow regional roads to explore in the Zona de Cenotes across mid Yucatan. Certainly less tourist-iffied than the Riviera Maya.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Mucci likes this.
  4. Mucci

Mucci Builder

Oddometer:
    That's great, thanks for the info Sjoerd. Are those photos you took / do you know which roads those are from?

Also do you know who makes that map? I'd be interested to find similar ones of other areas.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That map is more of a poster , not fine datail . It was on a billboard at the plaza in Chunhuhub QR , where I took the photo yesterday . The two tracks do not show on it but they are runners into the jungle beside Mex 293 and they may end in a small Maya village left over from the chicle collecters
    If you load the maps.me app on your phone or google the open map source or wherever it is called you can at any time zoom in to the finest scale resolution which usually shows any village and the public access roads and trails .
    I n an Oxxo in Chetumal they were selling indvidual state maps of similar style and I wouldn't waste much pesos to buy those. Better to buy an ITMB map .More fun would be to go riding and work out a route by using a good map and asking around locally . You can stitch together all kind of interesting small roads if you give yourself the time.
    Google " mapas turisticos"
    and they will give you some results.