Yucatan to US shipping

Discussion in 'Americas' started by moderndaydrifter, Mar 1, 2008.

1. moderndaydrifter

moderndaydrifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So im thinking of shipping myself and my bike from the Yucatan to Florida, or any port on the gulf. Anyone ever done it? Maybe a cargo ship that will let a passenger ride, just an idea, please help!
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    No ferry from Yucatan to Florida. Hasn't been for several years.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a fact that they sold the ferry that ran a few times from Tampa to Merida area. happened to be in Tampa reading the paper at my sis-in-laws house when the service was reported about in the St. Pete paper and got all excited-yeh, just in time to be dissapointed. SO, has anyone got any new ideas/information on this theme of boating the gulf to Mexico from the USA?
    I met this guy in Mexico and rode with him for a couple of days ; he said there was a way to ferry from New Orleans. I tried to Gooogle the idea and all I could find was information on shipping freight and commodities,etc., not people ands bikes.
    It is expensive and somewhat boring(sorry Texans) to have a 3000 mile RT ride/drive to get to the border from where I live in KY.I sure hope this ferry thing happens again!
  5. moderndaydrifter

moderndaydrifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how about air freight from cancun to miami? anyone ever shipped a bike out of cancun? ive not had any luck finding a freight company. ive been riding mexico, belize, and guatemala, for a month now, going to cuba for a few days then would like to ship the bike and myself from cancun back home to florida. help
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think you might have better luck in Veracruz. Cancun is a tourist town, not a freight shipping point.
  7. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out Hyde Shipping. I have heard of several people who used them to ship a bike from Port Everglades, FL to Pt. Morelos, MX. I believe it is just south of Cancun. Don't have my map in front of me.

I doubt you would be able to ride on the ship though. You could probably fly from Cancun to somewhere in FL fairly cheap.

Kenny
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If one is in Cuba, why not hitch onto one of those Florida bound free rides?:evil:eek1
  9. Tama's Tigre

Tama's Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excuse me, but why would you think a ride through Texas would be boring. Sure, there's no mountains, trees, or twisties for the majority of the s/e ride. But we've got real straight and smooth roads. No blind turns or potholes. You don't have to worry about the cold. Although I wouldn't suggest riding April-October for fear of slight heat stroke. But the truth is that it's really not that hot, it's just the humidity. You see when it's, say 99 degrees out, we have a thing call the heat index which makes it feel like 129. But it's not that hot, it only feeeeels that hot. Just change your underwear a few times a day, and you won't even notice it. I know that you've heard of our coast line referred to as a brackish, mud pit. It's true that there's no visibility, but you can't tell that from the saddle of your bike going a smooth (and straight) 80MPH. I mean you're not coming for the scenery as much as the ride... right? Besides, just ride without your helmet on and you can hear the lovely surf! Just watch out for the Texas sized bugs hitting your face. Second thought, keep the full face helmet on. Also keep it on because Texans have kinda a habit of hugging your rear end. They're not really tail-gatin ya'll, Texans have just made drafting an art. By the way, if you see every other sign shot up with birdshot, don't think that Texans are into road rage. We won't shoot you for any old thing like they would in California. Just don't say anything bad about a guy's mother, his dog, but especially about Texas. Otherwise you'll be asking for a Texas size whoop'n. As the saying go's "Don't mess with Texas." Another one I noticed, as I drove my familiy into the Lone Star State (many years ago from California), was "Welcome to Texas... now go home!" That fairly sums up Texas Southern Hospitality :D

How could you think all this is boring :lol3
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Texas when in flight school at Mineral Wells/ Fort. Wolters.I have been pretty much everywhere in the state and in truth , some is boring, while other parts have much interest. I like east Texas and could live there but much of the rest lacks something , in spite of having more of everything, as you Texans are given to state! I am especially endeared to Wharton where my bike luggage was broken into.
  11. jayseeme

jayseeme Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. gmpm

gmpm Tat Twam Asi

Oddometer:
    been planing a belize tour, and like you wanted to cut some time out-googled int shippping and found a few sites-2000 bucks for a flight, and about $500 for household goods by boat-5 days. But, if you say its a bike, price goes up (by boat) to $2000 also-its called "hazardous" equip-I guess the gas and all. I met a guy in Gainesville from belize who told me to gey back to him (I will) 'cause he might know a way. Also, I work in Bell Fl and some guy here takes boats from fla to belize, rebuilds and sells em down there. Still tryin to link up with him to maybe get a ride. All I have found out leads me to believe if I break my bike down, fit it onto a 4x4x8 forkliftable box, call it household goods, that might work. Like I said, still in planning stages-target is december 08. Gives me some time to follow up on the mentioned leads.
    Good luck!
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lot of trouble for an iffy result.
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Co-title the bike, have the co-owner ride it down there, you fly into Chetumal or Cancun and take over the bike in the Free Zone, you do your Belice tour thing, give bike back to co-owner at border after he's done doing whatever he's done, you fly home and he rides it back.

A 'Gentelman's' tour, so to speak. Kinda like having somebody reload your gun for you between skeet throws.

But...you could contact a dealer in Belice and arange a buy/buy-back plan and avoid all of the above. Or could you just be exercising your mind...?
  16. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Tampa-Progreso Shuttle (non)update ... and get The Shuttle News.We are pleased to announce the approval of a temporary passenger terminal for The Shuttle in Tampa, which allows the project to move forward.
    We are confident that we will be able to make a "Launch Date" announcement for the intended twice weekly service in the not so distant future.
    There is still a lot of work that has to be done before the passenger ferry service can commence.
    We appreciate your patience and look forward in seeing you onboard.
    ---------------
    And for Pelon......:lol3

Nos da mucho gusto informales que ya esta aprobado una terminal temporal de pasajeros para THE SHUTTLE ial puerto de Tampa, que permita que nuestro proyecto siga adelante

Estamos confiados que mas adelante podemos anunciar en fecha de inicio de nuestro servico de dos veses por semana Progreso a Tampa

Todavia hay mucho trabajo por hacer antes de dar el servicio de ferry de pasajeros
    Apreciamos su paciencia.
  17. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    with Hyde Shipping for just over $350.Leaves every Friday and arrives Tuesday.Drop bike in Medley and they containerize it for shipping from
    Port Everglades.
  18. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    and Puerto Morelos is halfway between Cancun and Play Del Carmen.
    As a side note,I'll have to pay in USD-go figure!
    I have the contact info for the office in Cancun if needed.