Yukon Highway 6

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedNeil, Aug 10, 2006.

1. RedNeil

RedNeil n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Well... a few buds and I are thinking about getting our KLR's up to the Eastern side of the Yukon for a week of dual-sporting. We have a week to get there, a week to fart around and a week to get home. We're thinking (and it's preliminary enough to change this) of the Canol Road / Highway 6 East of Ross River. Some questions have come up and I figure the experience on ADV-Rider should be able to help things out.

Right now we're considering hauling bikes and a trailer up to Ross River and the doing day or overnight excursions out of there. Not going to push the trip getting up there and planning on 3 x 8 hour days to get there.

So... say we're up there....

The first and most obvious question. GAS for our bikes. Sure KLRs have great range. Do we have to carry in multiple gerry cans of gas or are there provisions along the highway? Logging camps? Construction sites? etc? I'm assuming we can get gas in Ross River. I'm also assuming there's NO gas between Ross river and the NWT border.

Gas prices? Anyone been there lately? I'm budgeting $1.50 a litre to get there and $2.25 / litre when we're up there. I'm hoping that is way too high. ... and suspecting it is just enough.:huh

Camping? Can we random camp along the highway? The campsite prices in Faro are cheap enough, but if we can move the base camp closer in country that would be cool. ...and we'd be closer to our gas supply.

That's it for now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    RedNeil
  2. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Hey Redniel,

I haven't ridden that part of the Yukon (yet). I'm pretty sure there is no gas after Ross River. If you're buying gas from a station your $1.50 estimate is probably good. I doubt you'll find it anywhere after Ross River unless you happen to run into someone who has lots to spare. :lol3 ( I may be wrong on that). If you do, be prepared to dig deep.

At 80 km/h you should be able to squeeze 600 km on a tank with the KLR, but go much faster and that drops quickly down to 450 km. Taking a spare 5 or 10 liters wouldn't hurt. Just add it to the tank as you go.

Check www.motorcycleexplorer.com and follow the links for the Yukon for some info on the road.

If your using your truck as a base then bring a bunch of gas from further south. If your driving a truck from Calgary, I wouldn't worry about how much it'll cost to fill the bikes once your there. That'll be pocket change.

Also, contact Brokentooth on this forum, as I read he was just up there on a GSA. Check his posts.

Watch out for snow starting late August (don't ask me how I know)

Hope that helps a bit.
  3. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    You will miss a fun ride up from watson lake. I rode thru that country in 04 and really enjoyed it. Some of the gas stations seemed to close a bit early in the evening tho.
  4. Yukoner

Yukoner Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    The gas in the Ross/Faro area should not exceed $1.50/litre. There is NO gas on the North Canol. I lke to stash my jerry can in the bushes once I have ridden for an hour or two giving enough gas to get back out without having to ride with the can the whole time.
    If you do the South canol there is gas available at the south end at Johnsons Crossing ($1.25). If you go on the South Canol there are some really neat mining roads leading off on the northeast side of the road along the high-country by Lapie Lakes.
    Yes you can camp just about anywhere in that country...just be careful with your food so you don't attract bears.
    PM me if you want more info, but I will be in Atlin this weekend.

Enjoy!