Yukon Motorcycle Park Whitehorse

Discussion in 'Canada' started by northern, Jul 17, 2020.

1. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new place to stay on your adventure in Whitehorse

A camping experience exclusive to the motorcycle enthusiast. Wall tents and camping in the heart of the Yukon wilderness, where you can rest on the road and meet other distance riders.

Looks like there website is still under development.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Yukon-Motorcycle-Park-112714270516262/about/?ref=page_internal

https://yukonmotorcyclepark.ca/

Not that the Yukon is accepting many visitors but I am seeing bikes from BC around Whitehorse.

Disclaimer, while from Whitehorse I have no connections to this business.
    YMP.jpg
    matt.the.ogre, Adanac rider and MGV8 like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, looks great
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know where it is exactly? We used to stay in the Robert Service campground - nothing special about the park itself but it was a very nice walk to town along the river - hard to beat that.
    GSPD750 likes this.
  4. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is about 20 kms east of downtown Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway. Just east of the corner where the Klondike Highway heads south to Carcross and Skagway.

It is colocated with Wolf's Den Restaurant. The restaurant and adjoining campground have been for sale for at least 5 years. They sold over the winter.

A bit more information I found on the restaurant's website. https://www.wolfsden.ca/

Forest Wall Tents
    Enjoy a weekend stay-cation in one of our deluxe wall tents. Enjoy a quiet, Yukon atmosphere without straying too far from home. A perfect getaway for the weekend.
    75.00$ CAD per night

Robert Service Campground has a great location but it is currently closed. Not sure if it is just a Covid thing. The City of Whitehorse has taken it over and the contractors who were there for 25 years have moved on. So it might be a different experience.
    szurszewski likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Maybe I'll make it up there again next summer.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - that sounds good. Restaurant on site is a plus for me - if It’s good!

I hope they can continue offering camping at Robert service. We haven’t been in almost fifteen years, but stayed there often between 1996 and 2007.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed at Robert service, did not like. No drinkable water, pay showers, and a few sites down from me were several homeless encampments, well entrenched. Lots of people walking through the campground on the path below me who weren’t campers.
    CaptUglyDan likes this.
  8. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:

Thx. for posting this :thumb
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Robert Service? Was great in the 90s.Only had my bungee net stolen 2yrs ago so I was better off than other victims who even had tents cut and stuff stolen as they slept but what a fucking pain in the ass trying to replace my net in Whitehorse!

And from the moto shop parts guy? Most commonly stolen part would be footpegs!
    gpfan likes this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those were not homeless people. They lived there it was their home.
    matt.the.ogre likes this.
  11. Cromagnon

Cromagnon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Down at the cutoff, seen a few BC plates passing through, wall tent would be a good place to be with the wet summer up here so far.
  12. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the sign for the Motorcycle Park and should probably have checked it out.
    Sort of glad to hear it's a wetter summer than normal! Last week I rode up Hwy 37, Ak hwy to Whitehorse, camped at Wolf Ck., then rode up S. Canol and Robert Campbell to Watson Lk. and back south on 37. Seven days and it rained at least part of every day, but was still a great trip even though shorter than planned (bailed on N Canol and Nahanni Range roads mainly cuz tired of rain, but will try again next year!).
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I've considered taking N. Canol to Tungsten, but what is the actual distance (round-trip) needed for fuel? I've seen various numbers differing somewhat.
    What shape is the Robert Campbell in? I heard there was a lot of road work going on.
    Probably won't make it up there next summer unless I head out in mid-July.
    Thx.
  14. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yukon govt. info says N. Canol is 465 km round trip Ross River to NWT border and return.
    Tungsten is on the Nahanni Range road. That road starts about 110 km north of Watson Lk. on the Robert Campbell hwy., and Tungsten is then about 400 km round trip from the highway. There's no fuel available north of Watson Lake, so fuel needed for a 600+ km round trip.
    The Robert Campbell hwy. was in very good condition outside the construction areas. There's no fuel between Ross River and Watson Lk., which is about 370 km. The construction sections were a bit soft and muddy but not bad at all, as I think traffic had compacted the surface since reports of deep gravel earlier in the summer (depends on your tires too, right?). One bridge construction site had a short section of deeper mud because of all the eqpt. moving around and it was drenched by the heavy thundershowers, but still OK to ride through.

North end of S. Canol has great scenery. Clouds and rain blocked the view of most of the south end! Entire area is well worth returning to though.
    @GrizzLee has YT vids of both roads:

15. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    My confusion. I do know the difference between the Nahaani Range Rd and N Canol Rd but wasn't thinking.
    Thanks for the update on the Robert Campbell. Most of the info I had was from last year and I knew they were going to be working on it for a couple of more years.
    I'd be on a heavyish bike (200kg) but wearing suitable tires like E07s so shouldn't be a problem unless it has just rained very hard.

When I was up there (YT, AK) in 2018 it rained on me for 30 days straight. I skipped trying to make it to Tuk as the road was still a horrid mess. And camping in my tent every night got pretty old.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
    uncle m likes this.
  16. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E07's should be ideal for those roads.
    The Motorcycle Park would be a perfect "base camp" near Whitehorse in any weather but especially when it's raining for multiple days. I'll definitely check it out on my next trip north.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  17. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Its 400 miles to the nose from Watson lake to tungsten and back. No fuel anywhere in between. I had a 09 GSA with a 400 mile range, and I still took 4 extra gallons. Dropped off the 2 gal jerry can, I purchased at watson lake, along the road and picked it up on my way out. Gave it away at Watson lake when I returned.

My canol road trip in 2018. Damn rain..

Getting there..
    Repoman87, MGV8 and Cal like this.