Yukon Open for Travel

Discussion in 'Americas' started by HikerDaddy, Jun 1, 2021.

1. HikerDaddy

HikerDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello

With the borders into the US closed I am looking at heading north to the Arctic Circle sometime this summer. Either mid july or early August. Plan is to get at least up to the Arctic Circle however if the roads, weather and time permit I would consider making the trip up to Tuk and knocking that off the bucket

I can't figure out if accessing the Yukon is possible or if it requires quarantine for 14 days?

Is their a place to store bikes in Yellowknife or Dawson City for a couple weeks while I come back and and get some work done at the office.

Thanks
  2. Jyrocity

Jyrocity n00b

Oddometer:
    I had called the Yukon government COVID hotline about a month or so ago and they said if you had got the second shot 14 or more days before entering you do not have to isolate. The information appears to have not changed.
    https://yukon.ca/en/health-and-well...d-19-restrictions/changes-covid-19-guidelines
    I am also planning to travel to Tuktoyaktuk around late July with my Tiger 900 Rally Pro. I currently have it all ready to go starting in Terrace, BC. Just hoping they either drop the restrictions or I can get in to get my second shot in the next couple weeks.

Where are you traveling there from?
  3. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    NWT is no go for tourism as of today (this has not changed for many months). So not currently possible to travel the Dempater past the NWT border which isn’t very far north of the Arctic Circle. I can’t remember how far but it won’t get you through the Richardson Mountains or to the first ferry. Ride to the Arctic Circle is a really scenic ride though especially the Tombstone mountains.
  4. Jyrocity

Jyrocity n00b

Oddometer:
    The NWT website does say however that they will open up with restrictions after the Canada wide daily new cases fall below 1000. Which I just checked we are there as of today. Who knows what the date will be though. The country is opening up soon, it would be crazy town if they do not do it up north too.
  5. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    It’s fuzzy for sure. Their Emerging Wisely plan says self isolation requirements ease at 1,000 cases and 66 - 75% Canadians partially vaccinated (which has been met) but it still restricts what travellers are allowed which is very narrow. This is why a tourist still can’t enter now for a motorcycle tour (again, unless a very narrow exemption applies) even if cases fall below 1000 and more than 66% of Canadians have their first shot.

The plan also lists “leisure travel” as being permitted once 75% of NWT is fully vaccinated, 66 to 75% of Canadians are fully vaccinated and less than 1,000 cases nationally. The plan says this is expected in late summer or early fall. So unlikely leisure travel will happen before that.
  6. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    The NWT has indeed loosened its restrictions - for residents and essential workers only, not for tourists. I'm not sure when that might change, but we're being led to believe that it won't be until the fall.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cut & paste job. From :
    https://yukon.ca/en/current-covid-19-situation

Sunday, June 27, 2021
  8. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    Hasn’t seemed to change the recent travel guidance much.

I posted this in another thread and it’s pretty much the same today although Ross River has closed down somewhat: Several First Nations governments and communities have issued travel advisories so there is information without calling. Some of the advisories indicate travel is ok ( for example, Dawson, who describe responsible travel practices), while others restrict non-essential travel altogether (for example, Old Crow). There are variations in between. The so-called “Safe 6” practices plus wear a mask seem to be widely recommended. The advisories are located on the Council of First Nations website.
  9. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Yukon surge is easing. Fingers crossed for them.
    Cowtowner likes this.
  10. boakl

boakl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to leave from banff on Aug 15 to whitehorse. Anyone interested in tagging along. Plan is to do 400km/day max.
  11. TrakPlv

TrakPlv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the border opens, I will be behind you...
  12. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    I crossed into Yukon in the past week and did a loop. Crossed using the fully vaccinated exemption. No issues. People at border checkpoint were polite. It will be faster if you have already filled out the exemption form before you arrive, but sign it at the checkpoint, and upload proof of vaccination on the Yukon gvt website before you arrive as well.

I didn’t see a lot of tourist traffic.
    TrakPlv likes this.
  13. Jyrocity

Jyrocity n00b

Oddometer:
    Spoke with the North West Territories COVID people and it is still closed for 'leisure' travel. If you can prove its for work or you are taking care of someone then you can get in, otherwise its still closed at peel river.

EDIT: and by get in I mean you have to submit a isolation plan and indicate its for work at least two weeks before you show up and you need a number to show the border people.
  14. TrakPlv

TrakPlv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada gov is beating the dead horse... Where is the queen???
    Cal likes this.