1. kvanderstel

kvanderstel n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to plan a ride starting from the Yuma AZ area, heading north following the Colorado river on either the AZ or CA side and returning on the opposite side. I've paddled the river and I can see various dirt roads accessing the river.

Has anyone ridden this? Are camping spots available? Are there dirt roads that come near the river that can be accessed? I'm anticipating riding both pavement and dirt, but any suggestions would be helpful. I'm planning going north as far as Blythe before turning back.

I'd like to see Picacho, Ferguson Lake, Martinez Lake etc. and any old mining roads I can find.
  2. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal

What are you riding and how are your dirt skills?

Ride north to Ferguson Lk. Camp here.

Then North to Picacho. Camp here or continue north along old burro/4x4 trail next to river. From here go NE to Black MTN. I had to go around a gate to get there from Picacho. Careful of deep sand!

Go north across hwy 78 to the geode beds or Bradshaw trail. Go east.

You'll end up near Palo Verde. Take farmers bridge to the AZ side of the river. Ride levee road north to powerline trail. take powerline road (sickest dirt road I've ever been on, yo. Real easy to get massive air on this road so watch your speeds!!!

Take east then north to quartzite. Refuel here.

Head south on hwy 95. Go check out Kofa NWR if you have the time.

From here take Cibola Road west to river. This is through the Yuma Proving Grounds. Stay on road!!! The dudes with rifles are not to be fucked with!!! Take pics of cool military equipment.

You'll end up back on the AZ side of the river. from here camp another night near the Cibola NWR, on the river, or head back across river to CA.

There is a good network of trails/powerline roads that take you back to Yuma next to hwy 78 and Ogilby rd.

Bring your fish pole and bug spray!
  3. kvanderstel

kvanderstel n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm on a DR305SE, so paved roads are not a problem, but exploring dirt is what I'm looking for. I have a stock tank, so range could be a problem, hopefully there will be places to gas up.

I will wait for the weather to cool, so I'm thinking about a Nov, Dec, Jan time frame.
  4. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. If you want to meet up I'm down for the RiverRat Loop.

You can get fuel in Palo Verde.
  5. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Post up a couple weeks before you go. Mayhaps some of the AZ peeps would like to ride the loop.....
  6. kvanderstel

kvanderstel n00b

Oddometer:
    So you or others have done this one?
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I don't know the area at all........but I just screwed around on Mapsource for the hell of it trying to follow the directions above AND stay true to the "Follow the River" desires of Kvanderstel.......threw together a few routes in Mapsource City Nav 2009 leading north to Parker where you'd reverse course and drop back down to Cibola Rd.......they may provide some insight/help.......or not......regardless it was fun goofing a round for a bit.....hope it helps....

Attached Files:

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. If your focus is "by the river" then make sure to ride the section just south of blythe along the az side of the river. There are many good river access spots and camp areas. All free.

I'm going to ride the hwy 78 border checkpoint part this afternoon. Hang out by the bombing range and watch the sunset. :bubba
  9. rhinoeater

rhinoeater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Paloma Paul

Paloma Paul Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in going
  11. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got a week of cool weather but its hot again.... Can't wait for winter!

Brrrraaappp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    This tuesday I'm going to ride from LA to Josh tree where I will finale get to dirt and rider almost all dirt to the salton sea where I will camp for the night. Wensday - Day 2 I plain to ride to pachco 70% dirt and camp there. Thursday-Day 3 go to glames dunes for the monning and then slab it all the way home to echo park LA. If you guys have any sugestions on where to go/ what to see let me know.
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Old thread...new query...

Leaving OC for Pres Day holiday, three days to kill in SE dez. Thinking Bradshaw to Wiley Well, then east or south, Picacho, and ????? Need help with routes and sights to see.

Enjoyed Riverats' RR here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234505

Advanced riders, TE630 and 990R, camping off bikes.