Yuma, AZ Weekend Trip

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by chanman17, Dec 8, 2010.

1. chanman17

chanman17 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Gang - I did some searching and didn't find any posts on ridin' through Yuma, AZ. We have a group of four headed to Yuma from San Diego, CA. Any thoughts on where to stay in Yuma, what to do, etc.?

Thanks all!
  2. vospertw

vospertw Adventures on the Cheap

Oddometer:
    I didn't ride much while I was there but some decent roads to the north around Senators Wash along the Colorado River. If you are looking to ride some dirt, may want to try the Barry M. Goldwater Range. The Marines manage the west half of the range which goes from the mountains to the east of Yuma to the Mohawk Mtns about 50 miles further east, and from I-8 to the border. Here's a link for the regs. There are some decent roads back there but sometimes can get a little sandy. Call the wardens and ask them for their opinion on which ones are good/bad.

You can pick any hotel chain you want - used to only be a few decent places - now you shouldn't have any problem finding an ok room. El Papa Gallo restaurant (block or so north of 16th St on B Ave) was always pretty good - don't know how it is these days. Garden Cafe used to have a good brunch menu; 250 Madision Ave. They have open area seating with misters if it's hot, and birds all around. Of course, if you are hung over, 200 birds chirping might not be cool.
  3. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    You might do better if you post this in Western regional.
    just sayin.....
  4. Quadzilla1

Quadzilla1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in the middle of 2008 I worked in the city for a week, didn't have time to get out and explore much of the countryside though. River City Grill, 3rd St. at 6th Ave, is/was a very good restaurant though.