Yuma to Baja, Yuma to the Northwet.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Live2Ride, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been planning this trip for only 1 month, and so far, it has changed course many times. It first involved a buddy and I hauling our bikes to Death Valley and spending a week there. After talking to my Dad in Yuma, he suggested hauling them to Yuma, and doing Baja. We were going to haul his RT back with us so he didn't have to in the spring. Sounds like a plan. Wrong.
    My buddies Mom has gotten real sick this last week, so he cannot make it.
    So, I get this bright idea, why don't I fly to Yuma, I will ride the RT Beemer, and Dad can take the KLR (his idea on bike choices). We'll do Baja, then I will ride the RT back to Spokane. Now, THAT sounds like a plan!!!...:clap
    I leave tomorrow morning (feb 27th) at 6:30am From Spokane international airport and fly into Phoenix. I will try to post some along the way if I can, and will do the rest when I return.
    This is what I'm leaving behind. Lets hope it's gone when I get back.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bags packed, helmet, coat, GPS and hat. I think thats everything. Oh wait, gloves, I'm sure I will be needing those at some point. Now I'm ready. Come on 6:30am!!!!....See ya on the road..........
    [​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!! :thumb

Keep us updated.. :lurk
  3. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip!
  4. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Ride on !! I'd like to come along.....well you get the idea :kboom

[​IMG]
  5. Dirthick

Dirthick n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey dad! hope the trips going smooth! I'll be checking up on it! :jose
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Looking out the window at the snow on the ground. Yes a Baja update is in order! :vardy
  7. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Well folks, I am back across the barbed wire. I'm at a friends house in Redding, Ca. and will head for Spokane in the morning. The RT is running great. Had a very interesting time in Baja and will try to post some pics tonight when we get back from dinner. I have hit every kind of weather except rain/snow on this trip, but will probably see both tomorrow. I have taken over 400 pics so far and I'm not even home yet, so this will take awhile to post them all. What a way to kick off the 2007 riding season.
  8. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:

Wondering where you were at. I'm up in Vancouver Canada till Friday for service training. Having a blast touring the city. The weather is not even that bad.

Tell Andy hi :wave

Enjoy your final leg of the trip....:vardy :lol3
  10. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    :lurk I bet your venture south will be good and worth the wait. Keep the rubber down for that last leg to the barn.
  11. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    They have internet in Canada?:lol3 I think I am going to stay here 1 more day and Andy said Hi right back at ya.........
  12. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    It will Sam, and can't wait for the ride in May. See you then.
  13. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Pics are downloaded, so lets get this thing rolling:clap
    The plane left Spokane on time. Got my luggage checked thru (mistake) and we are airborn. We get close to Salt lake where I am to change planes and start our decend, then we start climbing again. The captain comes on to say we have been deverted to Grand Junction Co. because SL has been closed because of snow. We go to GJ and land for refueling and wait on the runway in SL to reopen. Here are a few pics while we wait....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After an hour, we we take off and land 30 minutes later in SL...
    [​IMG]

From there, I catch my connecting flight to Phoenix. I made it there, but my luggage decided to stay in SL.:baldy I talk to the guy at luggage claim and he gives me a claim #. All of my riding gear are in the to bags except for my helmet. I kept calling all that day and finally my bags make there way to Phoenix and were to be flown to Yuma via a differant airline the next morning.
    I find Dad and we leave for Yuma.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About 70 miles out of Phoenix, we come across this man made water skiing lake. They are selling lots and there will be house surrounding the whole thing. You can ski right out your back door.....
    [​IMG]

Arizona sunset 50 miles from Yuma....
    [​IMG]
  14. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    This is the bike I will be riding, my Dads RT.
    [​IMG]

And this is the bike he's riding....
    [​IMG]

Now, back to my luggage. The next day, I called 10 times and talk to 10 differant people. They keep telling me my luggage is still in Phoenix, I finally get them to tell me the phone # to the Yuma airport. I called them, and guess what, my stuff is in Yuma:clap I jump in the car and head for the airport and pick it up. When I get back, I called the baggage claim back up and there still telling me my stuff is in Phoenix. :scratch Oh well, at least I have it. I won't tell you what airline it was, but I will tell you this. I will never fly Delta again:lol3

The next morning, we start loading up the bikes...
    [​IMG]

The Adventure begins....
    [​IMG]

I know how you all like pics of your meals. Heres my first meal......
    [​IMG]
  15. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:

Don't do it ! I stayed a extra day in Redding once, and wound up living there 6 years. :lol3

Hey Andy !!
  16. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    We jump the barbed wire in Algodones....
    [​IMG]

This is a new 4 lane road that goes into Mexicali. They had just started building it when I was here 3 years ago....
    [​IMG]

A chinese restuarant in mexico? I'll bet what ever you order, it comes on a tortilla:lol3
    [​IMG]

50 miles out of Mexicali, we stop for lunch and a beverage....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really need to clean the windshield....
    [​IMG]

I you look really close, you can see a bunch of dust devils out in the distants. 3 years ago, this stretch of road was littered with wrecked cars. They have since been all cleaned up...
    [​IMG]

Looking back....
    [​IMG]
  17. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    I thought you were suppose to be in school? Yeah, its raining here this morning so I decided to stay one more day. Dry and warmer tomorrow. When are you headed home?
  18. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    We turned off hwy 5 onto hwy 3 headed for Trinidad. The surface of the road was so rough, you could almost feel your tires wearing down as you rode....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We arrive in Trinidad and refuel. There are very few gas stations that let you fill your own tanks......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this guy wanted Dad to give him a high 5...:lol3
    [​IMG]
  19. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Typical streets in the small towns.....
    [​IMG]

A guy told Dad a couple years ago that an RT Beemer is just like a GS with more plastic, so Dad wanted to take a "short cut" down a sand/gravel/rutted/piece of shit road. It is suppose to cut off about 150 miles and come out south of San Vicente. Lets find out....
    [​IMG]

A little cemetery 5 miles down the road ( and when I say road, I use the term loosely).....
    [​IMG]

The road starts climbing and get real narrow...
    [​IMG]

After going 15 miles down the road (which took close to an hour) we realize that were on the wrong road:baldy
    [​IMG]

So we turn around and head back to Trinidad....
    [​IMG]

Dad was waiting for me by a school yard where a few kids had gathered to look at his bike. When I pulled up, I got my camera out to take a picture of them when one yells out " MONEY". I think he wanted me to pay him to take his picture, so when I started to take it, he turned and ran....
    [​IMG]

We go back into town and grab some dinner. Tacos.....
    [​IMG]
  20. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    As we come out of the restuarant, these guys come riding by. One guy stopped and I talk to him for a while. They were on there way to Mikes Sky Ranch. Come to find out, that was the road that we were on.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From there, we rode out of town a mile or so to what Dad thought was a hotel. It wasn't, but the guy there said they had a room for rent at there house back in town. So we followed him back though town to his house. This is our room for the night. $20 USD, not bad...
    [​IMG]

Aahhh, Casa dulce casa (home sweet home)
    [​IMG]

For hot water in the morning, you fill a 5 gallon bucket up with water, then throw a heat coil in, plug it in and stand back. I don't think that would fly state side:eek1
    [​IMG]

More kids stop by to look at the bikes, and to ask for candy....
    [​IMG]

There was alot of foot traffic in the alley behind us. When I took one picture, a young girl asked in very good english why I took there picture, I told here it was for a trip report and she said "Oh" and walked away...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I would have know they had a hoop here, I would have brought a basketball with me. Dad and I love to shoot hoops:lol3
    [​IMG]