Yurp maps for 276C

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by Jabba, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I'm heading to the alps in September for an alpine tour- and I was looking at the Garmin stuff and was shocked to see that a map upload for my 276C is north of $300!~ Holy shizzle!!!! You can buy a whole new GPS with maps preloaded for not much more than that these days. WHAT'S the deal with Europe? Can I use another brand of maps for routing this trip- or am I stuck with Garmin's proprietary stuff at these overinflated prices??? Any ideas folks?
  2. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple really.... In the USA map data is free.

In much of the rest of the world, the copyright holder of the map data is not the citizens... thus it costs more money for Garmin to make map data out of it.

This is the main difference in the cost of Europe maps over NA maps. Plus you guys get everything cheaper then Europeans anyways... :cry

On the other hand, if you really want to maximize your time here, spend more time riding than map reading... then perhaps it's worth it?... It is for me... I use my GPS all the time with my bike, and with detailed maps to work with, makes all the difference.

Al...
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup - it's expensive. But worth it, if you like using a GPS.
    If you're renting a bike for a couple of weeks, you're probably going to spend 5-6K. Another 300 just isn't that much.
    If your'e taking a package tour, the GPS probably isn't a necessity. I have an older (2 years) Garmin product that doesn't provide for in-unit routing that I'd be willing to let you have (relatively) cheaply (if I can find it). I have Garmin's latest and greatest and keep them updated (both US & Europe).
    If you'd like a Garmin file of passes that I've painfully collected, let me know.
  4. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an old copy of Roads & Rec - Austria that I have no further use for. PM me if interested.
  5. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    City Navigator NA V8 is £280 for us - at current exchange rates that's $530 :eek1
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that we're neighbors (I'm in Sterling, VA). I'd consider swapping my 276c (loaded with the appropriate maps) for yours for a couple of weeks in September.
    Let me know if you're interested.
  7. erwindob

erwindob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Renting a 276C including maps will be cheaper than buying maps for your GPS.
    Just a thought.

I only know addresses in the Netherlands for that, not in the Alps