yy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The_Precious_Juice, Aug 19, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    g
  2. Banana12

Banana12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would recommend MD-213, MD-313, and DE-9 as possible routes to consider.

MD-213 runs near the Chesapeake Bay through small towns. It starts by Chesapeake College right off route 50 and runs all the way up past I-95 and becomes PA-841 when you cross state lines.

MD-313 is similar, but more inland. It starts further south, a little west of Salisbury off route 50 and runs north, ending into 213 at Galena near the Sassafras river. Both are enjoyable alternatives to the highway and allow easy access to jump on or off US-301 if you need to make up time.

DE-9 will run from south of Dover all the way into Wilmington along the Delaware river. This is the only worthwhile route (I can think of) in northern DE if you do not want to ride slab. It rides through small and historic towns and offers great views of the Delaware and marshlands.

It is easy some part of all of these. It may be possible to some light "off-road" miles by riding down the gravel road along the levies of the C&D Canal. Route 9 and Route 213 both happen to cross the C&D at the furthest points East and West respectively. I will have to check the accessibility and report back as I have not ridden the levies in several years.
  3. tmcdougall

tmcdougall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I head back to Delaware to visit the folks my preferred route is route 9. I would say that it is about the most scenic north/south road. I would caution to pay attention to the speed limits though.
  4. Banana12

Banana12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lower part of DE-1 could be nice if you have not been on it before. It will run through the beach towns/along the ocean at low speeds. You can ride through Ocean City, MD and just keep heading north all the way to Dover. Route one picks up speed north of Rehoboth and goes through mostly farm land until you get to Dover AFB where it becomes an expressway. Be warned, DE-1 gets horrible beach traffic; Southbound on Fridays and Saturday morning and Northbound on Sundays.

As for the levies, they certainly can be ridden, I'm just not sure if they go uninterrupted from end to the other. May depend on what level of off-road riding you and the Mighty DR are up for :D
  5. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best way through jersey is the northwest. There's no interstates on that side (north/south) but the smaller roads are very nice. Delaware water gap is surprisingly nice, nothing like you'd expect in jersey. Plus, the Appalachian trail goes through there.

I-80 is the fastest way to nyc from that area, nut it gets crazier the closer y,ou get.

There's a few options to 'ride' in NYC. To be honest, I would park and take the train, but of you must ride there, then it's either tunnels or bridges. It's possible to get in/out without sitting for hours, but it take timing and flexibility.

Times Square is cool to see at night, but you really can't drive through it like you used to. They closed a few blocks off to traffic, so what few roads are possible, are mostly gridlocked. Thanks to e tourism boom, the square area is ALWAYS packed (and not for the better)

The best view of New York, in my opinion, is from jersey city. The shoreline is all a very nice park, and the nighttime or sunset view of lower manhattan is very dramatic. Basically, you get all of the buildings reflecting off the water. You can also see the Statue of Liberty, but to be honest, it's smaller than you think.

I found the most dramatic way to enter the city is from Staten Island over the Varrizanos bridge into Brooklyn. The bridge is huge, and you're above most of lower Manhattan as you arrive into Brooklyn. Like jersey city, you have the best. View of the city, and Brooklyn is no slouch either.

For 'riding' in the city, try the high or low number avenues past midnight. You can actually get some speed at though hours and little traffic (unlike 5th -8th avenues) The village/lower manhattan is very cool, but not for riding. Streets are a cluster F to figure out.
  6. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pity you aren't going into Canada. The Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Island part of Nova Scotia is well worth the ride.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Finest liquids is in Warren. No prop.
    Hills farmstead brewery is in G. Bend. No prop.
    Alchemist brewery. In Waterbury. No prop.

They are rigbt cllse to eaxh other.

I can tour through here.

Ben and Jerry country too.

Yeah, I am liking this.:deal
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Looks like you can not ship brews around.
    Opps.

I do not have enough room to be a boot legger.

East bound and down? :1drink
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    ORIENT POINT To NEW LONDON

Cross Sound Ferry Service.
    $29.20.

Bridgeport and Port Jefferson ferry
    $30.

Does this seem about right?

Seeing how time is money, and I have plenty of time, it would be about the same fuel costs and more touring to do a loop on Long Island and travel through The Bronx and along the CT coast or maybe toward Danbury, CT and then due east to New London.

"Don't work for your time, have your time work for you"
  10. Rochesterue

Rochesterue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a response to the PM for tent space, you're more than welcome here in Syracuse during the week. Saw on your profile you're into Forestry, I go to the NY Forestry school. Come out- we'll have a good time.
  11. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to check out north central PA. around the WELLSBORO area and west.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I looked into your post.

I can swing by there after Syarcuse, NY.

It is on a path to G'burg.

Town of 3,300 or so.

Thanks for the feedback.
  13. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:

I think I met you today in our showroom - I'm Kevin. The guy with the FZ-09. I didn't realize you were on here.... It was good meeting you.

Kev​
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

I was typing of OCT 6TH.
    Got lazy.
    I am still south of the Mason Dixon waisting everyone's time in the Beast forum.:D

FZ-09...
    Nice!:evil

So tell me, is there another dude on a Confederate Grey DR up there touring?
    We are a special breed.
    Just born on the wrong side of the equator.

We would be much happier hanging out with our Prime Minister on inner tubes and drinking beers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Td3luNjEKTs
  15. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it, he is from South Carolina actually. Also, he was on a DL650. So - not even close. Sorry about that. When you're passing through, you are welcome to camp on our property if you like.

Kev
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Leaving on the 24th.

Will make up time by riding from VA Beach Sat morning to Dover Downs Speedway. 200 miles or so.

Basically, I will not spend the night in southeast Delaware.

Will post pics of MC set up tomorrow I am working on useing my recon 5 sleeping bag for two things.

Seat cushion
    And of course, sleeping bag fights.:D
  17. buckrut1972

buckrut1972 H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer:
    Wife's family is in North West N.J....hit me up if you need a yard to crash in if you get off schedule up that way....
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Thanks for the good looks.

The AT runs through there. :D
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    It will rain tomorrow on the east coast. Now, when I type east coast, I actually mean where the Atlantic Ocean is close to. :D

So, I will just ride Th, and get a little wet, and dry out on Friday in VA Beach, and Sat morning ride to Dover Downs Speedway. :clap

I will miss out on some Colonial stuff.
    I doubt I will hit it up on the way back. Time will tell.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Should leave the track and ride to Phili for tourist stuff, then ride to Tenafly, NY.

Tuesday, on foot, will follow waves and waves of people to The Big Apple.

Stand by.