yz 250.... opinions?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sopascat, Jul 13, 2008.

1. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 15 y/o son came across a 2003 YZ250F (green stickered) today, that the owner is selling for $1600, a few of you have seen him ride. I'm asking if you think this is a good deal, & if there are any particular things we should look for with this bike, & if you think this is a good bike for him.
  2. bouncing billy

bouncing billy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yzf is a good bike,look to see who owned it ,racer or trail rider,racer's tend to farkle and abuse check lower frame rails for dents,pull off the seat dirty air filter look for another one.Trail rider perferred.Make sure green sticker,dont look at obvious like plastics and seat.look for missing bolts rounded off and stripped nuts.start it does it have compression or can you kick with your hand,walk away.If it passes all this and more you shoudn't pay more than 2000 to 2400.And take your time there is always another one some where:Dput it on the stand check triple clamp bearings and check linkage bolts,if they look like never taken off then no grease,can go on all night but ask the owner mant questions not so much the answers but how they answer:wink:
  3. sopascat

Oddometer:
    Thanks, they're going to check it out again on Tuesday, they've pretty much decided to go for it...
  4. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    $1600 is a great price for an '03
  5. sopascat

Oddometer:
    turns out the 2003 is suposed to be a red sticker bike, according to Yamaha dealer, & by checking vin# with DMV, it does have a green sticker on it now, but we don't want to risk getting stuck with a red sticker on title transfer, when we were looking for a green:(:

on the other hand, I personally am looking for a plated bike
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a nice bike, but without plates.....your riding areas are very limited and hard and costly to get to, unless you have a big property in your backyard.

A plated XR400 or DRZ400 may be the least expensive alternative.
  7. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 02 yzf was originaly a red sticker but dmv changed the rule and to the best of my understanding there is no red sticker anymore .mines been green since and i just got another in june:deal my buddys got an 04 crf(yuk) and he got a green when his first tag was up also?IM sure this thread will become a jo mamma thread debate zone now!!:lol3
  8. sopascat

Oddometer:
    according to DMV site, there is a list of vin #s that are supposed to be red???
    the yammie dlr said 2003 to 2006, I think were supposed to be red???
    it' all very confusing

I sure don't know
  9. sopascat

Oddometer:
    the kid just turned 15 anyway, so he won't be able to ride on the street (legally) for at least a year
  10. dunerat

Oddometer:
    The crfs(yuk) an 04....:dunnoif the 250 has a green.... its green,walks like a duck ,smells like a duck yadda yadda.... I just did ur google home work for you.....03 and later if theres a "c" or a"3" in the 8th digit in the vin for all "non exhaust compliant ohvs"heuuuuw!!!!
  11. sopascat

Oddometer:
    husband did that same homework, it does have a "c" 8th digit
  12. dunerat

Oddometer:
    U f*cked:lol3
  13. sopascat

Oddometer:
    that's why they decided not to buy it
  14. dunerat

Oddometer:
    Im gonna buy my son the new yammie yz250 streeter ,hes thirteen and ill take him on some slab in the mtns (big bear) alot of connector trails must be PLATED ONLY,you can be the coolest parent in the world too...ill scoot over one seat for ya:wink:
  15. sopascat

Oddometer:
    If I had the scratch to buy anything for anyone, I'd be buying a plated bike for myself, my son is working some for his dad this summer, & was going to pay for this one mostly himself
  16. dunerat

Oddometer:
    O i fogot to mention ive been workin him in the cole mines since he fell out of his mom working the cabbage fields so i could just ride all day :huh SORRY:lol3 ....good kid carry on:clap