1. eNewsletter Sign Up

YZ/WR426 forks on f650gs twin

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by F650gsafromMorocco, Aug 31, 2019.

1. F650gsafromMorocco

F650gsafromMorocco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have a whole front end of a 2001 YZ426 and want to use it on my 2008 f650twin to gain some ground clearence and for a better front suspension. The rear will get an F800GS shock absorber. Had anyone tryed the mod? I saw it works on the 650 single and Dakar ...

Thanks
  2. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. F650gsafromMorocco

Oddometer:
    The fork comes with the yam triple clamps, front wheel, front brake ...
    Some will tell me to go for an 800gs ... i won't for budget reasons and cause my 650twin is only 35000kms and know all its history ...
    The disk brake of the YZ is 250mm and will be changed to get a 320mm with the extension for the caliper like SM people do ...
    The final use will be some commuting, some offroading (1 x 200kms day tour) 2 to 15 days traveling on and off road fully loaded ...
    The fork will be revalved and the spring changed if needed ...
    Had anybody tried this? Thanks
  4. F650gsafromMorocco

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

Nobody had tried the mod?

apparently the triple clamps of the WR YZ won't fit the F658GS TWIN headstock ... do you know more about it?

Thanks for your replies ...
  5. F650gsafromMorocco

Oddometer:
    A message to those interested in installing the YZF426 forks to the F650GS Twin, it is a plug and play thing if using the YZ/WR triple clamps and wheel. The brake master cylinder line is plugged to the frame where the ABS line comes.
    The ABS was kept placing the sensor on the fork and the disk under the YZF brake rotor.
    lexaria likes this.
  6. lexaria

lexaria Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job! I think everybody would appreciate more info about your project: pics, possible complications, hacks etc... And of course some pics of modified bike:)
  7. F650gsafromMorocco

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Here are some pics of the mod. So as said before it is an YZF426 from 2001 fork on a F650GS Twin from 2009. The conversion went straight forward ... plug and play ...
    I used the Yam triple clamps, front wheel and master cylinder and brake line.
    No clearance problems, ignition is not in the upper triple clamp on the F658GS, i've got to weld a little nut on the upper clamp to make the lock work!
    For the rear .. i did a little mod to the genuine shock to make it longer (35mm and it is too much!) welding another eye on the top of the existant one ... till i find a rear f800gs shock and then lower the fork in the clamp to adjust!
    The feeling on board! :) that is the question! It is offroady as soon as the wheel turns! The fork works extremly well for the weight of the bike ... i am 1,85m and 90kgs .. tip toeing now :D
    Once loaded with all the gear for a 1200kms offroad trip (i did the mod 900kms from home and had to cross the desert and montains to get home) it is just perfect. The bumps are eaten by the bike, the rear feels weak now :) maybe an Ohlins?!?? Now the the front is perfect!
    I didn't modify the fork internals and didn't touch the tuning of the fork ..
    The wheel is 27cm from the beak and didn't reach that level of travel to touch.
    I used the YZ high fender and cut the front of it. Made some holes in it to let the air pass through to cool the radiator but it wasn't enough ... had to cut a long rectangle and put a net on it so the bike doesn't warm under 44°C on a long road at 140km/h.
    I put a 90x90 R 21 tire on the original YZ rim.
    I ll take some more specific pics if someone is interested.

Attached Files:

NaMi likes this.