YZ250 forks Revalve or Upgrade on a 2000?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jut8, Nov 1, 2017.

1. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    Hello All! I just picked up a really nice 2000 YZ250 from a friend of mine that is no longer able to ride. The bike is in great shape, but has sat for quite a bit. I got it all cleaned up and running good after it sat for a few years. I plan using it mostly for woods/single track riding here on the east coast. It mostly tight, rocky and rooty here, i have no desire to go flying on the open powerlines at mach 1 anymore, however i do see two or 3 days the the moto tracks in my future, but Im getting older, so being honest with myself, i dont see me sending anything huge, just out on the track for fun.

So that brings me to the forks, the kinda feel like poop on the bike, however they are not leaking. I know these forks did have some issues, so much so that my buddy told me he had to swap one of the legs out for an 01 or 02 YZ250F leg because he could not get the one to stop leaking.

My question is, Pro-Action is right down the road from me, should I take the forks off and get the revalved for $250 plus parts (or just rebuilt for $100 plus parts) or should I put money towards a set of 06+ SSS forks from a new yz250/250f/450f? I found a complete setup in good shape from another friend for $400(06 yz450f), from what i understand, I can swap the steerer stem from my triples into into the new triples, and as long as I have the brake setup from the forks, i just need to machine a spacer for the front wheel and its a perfect swap....please correct me if Im wrong before I dive into it.
  2. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    imo....
    If you're riding for fun, a weekend trail rider, the stock 00 forks will most likely perform well enough.

But if you're a fast, b-a level rider, the SSS forks will work better.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I would use the ones you have and revalve.I installed gold valves in mine,turned mid valve into check valve and installed rebound rod seal.All the parts are included in the gold valve kit for this.I went to 2 stage valving on compression and am happy with it.Even still works well on moto track but stopped all the deflection offroad.in the shock remove 6 of the 11 compression face shims for offroad and turn your high speed adjuster all the way out.Yz makes a great offroad bike.I installed a 9 Oz fly weight on crank but would do a 12 or13 Oz if I did it again.Alot of moto guys would use the 9oz but bike still hits pretty hard offroad in the muck.If you are not going to play sx racer the sss forks are sorta overkill and a bitch to service.Open chambers work very well offroad.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Id update, save the stock stuff, then revalve as necessary and save them for your next bike.
  5. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send them to Cogent Dynamics and provide the text from your original post.

Don't know about the 2000 specificaly i have 2001 yz125 forks on my kdx woods bike, done really well by cogent.

If the 250 and 125 share a shock I have one, you can have for the cost of shipping.
  6. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    why don't you read the manual, take 'em apart and change what's needed, new oil.... i bet it'll be sweet.... open cartridge forks are pretty easy to work on.....
    Navin likes this.
  7. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    awesome, thanks for the replies guys! you might have saved me a whole bunch of hassle! The bike sat for quite a while, I have a service manual, i feel OK changing fork seals and oil, but I have never messed with any sort of valving, i am pretty mechanical, its just not anything I have any experience with. Should i assume with the open bath forks i can use regular shop tools, or is there anything special i need besides my seal drivers?
  8. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    oh and i guess, i should fill you in with one other piece of info.....the PO had an issue with the rider left side fork leg, it got scored or something and was leaking...he pretty much scrapped it and found a fork leg from what i believe to be 2001 yz250f(i can verify with him if i go this route) so is there any issues running those different legs if they have the same spring rate in them?
  9. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    take them apart and see... first get a manual.... RTFM.....
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

No issus with different rates in either leg, but your kinda dealing with who knows what. Myself, those SSS jobbers make sense if you will be a Yammie guy, and you can always sell them later too.
  11. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    the SSS onezz are supposed to be the shzxit.... :deal
    Navin likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see the OP spending time and $$$ on springs, gold valves and rebuild parts while a huge upgrade of forks is in his grasp for maybe less $$$.

Slam dunker me thinks. Better forks, brakes, bla, bla, bla. And a long line of KTM guys to buy them if he ever sells.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most Likly the valving will be slightly different but not far enough to really mess with you.At least pull the compression stacks apart and match.The forks are pretty much the same internally till they went to bigger forks in 04.Most likly the damper tube seal is worn and you will not have as much rebound damping as the oil squirts out around top of damper tube on rebound.Pain in ass to replace without proper tools but seals are cheap.The older smaller forks also work a little better offroad as they have more flex which gives you a better ride in nasty woods.Also if you search thumper talk there is alot of info on the yz,s.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So your saying he would not have to do any work on a used set of ss forks also and maby change the springs and damping for woods work.
  15. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    all good info, thanks guys. i got a manual already, ill start going through it to see what i need tool/parts wise. Also make a few calls around to some local shops.

I do have a pair of SSS forks and shock in my grasp. Fresh rebuild from pro-action (well 5 hours on them) for $495 and they are local, thats the shock, forks, upper and lower clamps, fork guards, brake assembly, rotor and master/lever assembly. They are off of an 06 yz450f.
    Navin likes this.
  16. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    my bud had that 450 bike, and the forks were excellent..... all that for $495??? pretty good dealio.... that bike had a ti shock spring too....
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont know the condition or current valving so yeah, he might not need to. Or mabe he does, but he isnt working with a shitmash of parts from mismatched bikes.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP cleared that up, your nuts not to jump on those.
  19. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so I jumped on them, figure ill run them until they leak, then get them revalved, that way i know exactly what i got on them. It all should be later this week.
    NDMX743 and Navin like this.