YZ250 large capacity fuel tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DualSpaz, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DualSpaz

DualSpaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's not technically a thumper, I'm about to buy a large fuel tank for my 2005 yz250 (2-stroke). Clarke, I.M.S., Acerbis - any opinions ?
  2. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an IMS on my GF's kx100. Nice fit. I think the clarks are more white but still translucent. It is a toss up between those 2 I think.
  3. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Clarke are great for the money and you have a myraid of coloure choices.....Friggin Acerbis is way overpriced these days since thay are no longer the only game in town. They are very nice though....and probably the best....
  4. arroyo

arroyo ??????????

Oddometer:
    I have the natural (white) IMS 3.2 gallon on my wr250f and I'm pretty happy with it. It's only 6 months old but it hasn't really yellowed yet, I do try and drain the gas if its going to sit for more than a few days, supposedly that will help prevent yellowing. Overall fitment was fine, seems secure even though it only uses one of the central frame bolts for attachment, all the holes lined up well.

It feels much slimmer than the stock tank did even though the capacity is the same, it's also nice to be able to see the gas level through the plastic.

One issue with my model is that the petcock is on the right side so you have to route the fuel line across the bike to the left side, in between the cylinder head and the carb, seems to work fine but it is sort of a round about path. Also, for some strange reason mine came with the petcock backwards in that the lever is facing the engine and hard to see, kind of annoying at first till you learn what the off/on/reserve positions are. Don't know if they are all like that or if they sent me the wrong one, also don't know if the 2 stroke ones are set up the same way, but hope that helps.
  5. 91ctrk

91ctrk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '01 yz250 2stroke and I feel the clarke is narrower than the IMS. I had both tanks in blue and my feeling is the white ones look ugly on the bikes. Is it really that hard to keep an eye on fuel level?
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    :stupid While I haven't owned either or a YZ250 I have been around a buch of them at the races and the Clarke or Cycra tanks are the way to go - much thinner than the others - IIRC the Cycra was a bit thinner than the Clarke even:thumbup
  7. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    That's a good point, wouldn't it be cool to either have a gauge built into the cap or a line of clear in the tank to see the capacity? Maybe Ill get to work on that cap deal....sounds like a billion dollar idea to me!
  8. 91ctrk

91ctrk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cycra doesn't make tanks anymore.
  9. 91ctrk

91ctrk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The gauge would only read right when sitting still though...if one were made. After some time you get a feeling for the mileage you'll get during certain conditions...HS or enduro speed will drink the gas or when you're just messing about. If you get 40 miles to a tankfull and you're in a HS with 12 mile loops;well you can figure when you'll need to come in for gas. I get about 35-40 to a clarke tank(3.1gals?) so I'll try to play it safe a gas early.
  10. DualSpaz

DualSpaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input guys! Not sure which one I'm going to buy yet,but I'm going to order one of them as soon as I get to work tomorrow morning.
  11. 91ctrk

91ctrk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok just to clear things up....I went out in the garage and looked. I used the IMS tank coz it was slimmer than the clarke. The clarke was noticeably wider with your knees but by no means was it unusable. The IMS feels like nothings there to me.