YZ250F As Woods Bike?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 18, 2010.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay guys this isn't a "which bike should I get" post so I don't wanna hear "that bike sucks for the woods, get a WR" or things like that. :D
    I'm interested in hearing from people that have used this bike as a woods warrior. How do you like it? What did you do to make it better suited to the purpose at hand? etc...

I'm asking this because I have a chance at picking up a 2005 for dirt cheap. I've been kinda looking around for a smaller lightweight thumper and they don't get much more lightweight than these things. Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
  2. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy with a YZ250f as a woods bike. Flywheel weight, FMF Q muffler, 18 inch rear wheel.
    He rides mostly just trails, 1 HS a year.
    Check on motor before you put up cash. My buddys end-up, with a new piston,valves, bore etc. I think he pay about $1400.00 for it.
    Good Luck! ED:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks Ed.

The top end has recently been done with about 4 hours on it. I know the guy who has the bike and the shop who did the work, so I should be good there. :thumb
  4. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    bike works great in the woods completely stock. Set the clickers to soft and go.
  5. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Now that's what I'm talkin' about.
  6. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has one, bought it new in `05, I think. He had (still has) a WR400 before that and it was just too big and heavy. He's ridden the D36 enduros on it off and on over the years and has done well. It's never seen a MX track. The 18" rear will be a plus for you, especially if you like the nasty and want to run a trials tire. I also second the FMF Q pipe. Can't remember what else he's done to make it woods-friendly, but I'll ask him if you want.
    He's selling it soon as he's picking up a 2011 TE310.

WoodsChick
  7. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddy had one and went everywhere I went on my DR350. He did dig big trenches sometimes but maybe that was his style...

I rode it once and full throttle in 3rd gear will put the fear of God in you!!
  8. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    put a bigger fuel tank on it, Fly wheel weight or a Rekluse/revloc, skid plate and radiator guards, then beat the piss out of it. Great bikes in the woods even in stock form.
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! You all got me stoked!
    The bike is here at my work right now. It's been sitting for quite sometime and the carb gummed up so I pulled it and cleaned it. Got 'er fired and it sounds great! The engine sounds tight and is very responsive.

I believe it's going home with me tonight. :clap
  10. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    have fun and ride safe.

I wasnt joking about a bigger tank, if you have a twist happy right hand the stock tank range can be really really crappy. I had an 03 and it would drink gas if you ran it hard. :eek1
  11. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The gearbox doesn't hold much oil, so you need to change it out very often, every two rides or so, especially if you use the clutch a lot. It is a light bike and flickable with good power, but the close-ratio tranny is a drawback in woods IMO - I had one for about 2 years, and got tired of the gear-spacing and clutch release issues ( but I am hard on bikes in tight stuff).
  12. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't own one, but I prefer it to the WR for woods work. Lighter, turns better, gearbox is tighter, did I say lighter? 250f's are astounding easy to ride, actually very similar to a KDX200, but in a modern chassis and a lot more complicated if you blow it up :lol3 I like the close gearbox on a small bore, makes it easier to keep it wound up properly. Personally I'd skip the flywheel weight, auto-clutch and all the detuning stuff and just slap on a quieter sliencer (the stocker is very loud and lacks a spark arrestor), maybe a skidplate and a tank that'll give you whatever range you need and call it good. Maybe handguards and of course a re-valve to match your weight/conditions is always nice :)

It'll probably be a red-sticker only bike in CA, don't know if that's an issue for you.

I think '05 was the last year of the steel frame which many find a bit more forgiving off road (and it gives a bit better carb access). Not a bad buy at all.
  13. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    the oil in the case is shared with the oil thats carried in the frame , it does not have seperate gearbox and engine oil. Bike holds a total of 1.8qt, which is a pretty decent amount. (in the steel framed models)
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it home and have been fiddling with the carb. Gonna need to fatten 'er up some. The right fork's drooling a bit of oil. Other than that, everything seems to work great.
    She's definately no beauty queen but it's nothing a good cleaning and some new plastics won't cure.
    I'll get some pics up later.

Thanks again. :thumb
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, have fun :clap
  16. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, here she is in all her ugly. :lol3

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Took a little shakedown ride right these pics were taken today, and it ran great. Clutch, transmission-everything-felt really good.
    Seems like I was in fith gear before I got out of my driveway. :lol3
    You really gotta spin it up to get some power, which kinda creeps me out. Not used to revving an engine that high,,,I feel like I'm abusing it. lol. I'm used to the big-bores where there's abundant power everywhere.
    But, it's a fun little bike.
  17. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rev it man, if the motor is fresh don't be scared. You almost have to ride them like a 2 stroke. :clap
  18. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its definitely designed to be spun up, don't let it bother you:) Think of mean piston speeds rather than rpms, it might make you feel better ;)

Get a fork guard asap, just a tiny nick in the chrome will give constant leaks.

Taller gearing may be useful, MX bikes are often geared quite low - sometimes even too low for MX. With stock gearing my CR250R topped out so early I could only just clear a big step up at a particular track. I geared it up quite a bit and then no worries :D If you do gear taller take a little care not to go so tall that it becomes difficult to keep the motor spun up properly.
  19. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did some clean-up and replaced some of the plastics as well as the bars.
    Here's some random pics before.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  20. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple more.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

And finished.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

There's still more to do but it's pretty good for now.