YZ250f & the CDR:

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by UH60A, Feb 23, 2009.

1. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    This summer I plan on riding the CDR (MT-NM) on my 2001 -YZ250f.
    My: low-time org piston/rings, fresh cam chain, 4.2 gal, e-line, GPR, rekluse, Moto-Pro suspended, DID O ringed, Trail Tech & tagged, 03 camed, Ty Davis carbed, FMF Q2'd - YZ250f.
    It is what I own, it has been sitting a lot since a work injury in 2002.
    The bike is nicely set up, runs great, starts immediately. And . . . .
    like I said I own it and all the money spent on set up.
    Advice I seek:
    1) Gearing:
    currently I run a 13/49 that results in a 3.77 raito. I plan on swapping back and forth durring the ride for conditions between a - 14/45 (FLAT TERRAIN)for a 3.21 ratio, and swithching counters to a 12 with a 45r for a 3.75 raito (MTNS) which puts it nearly the same as what I run now.
    This is the only solution I see as feasible. I estimate a 16% reduction in top end rpm though I don't know what that means yet in MPH. I want to be able to cruise at 55mph for hours.
    2) Engine I've read of many engines of this type running well in excess of 250hrs and or over 4,000miles(WR). Mine has maybe 65hrs on it.
    3) I do not plan on camping. But I do plan on surviving. I will pack very light.
    Does anyone have experence on what the subframe can take?
    4) Jetting will I be able to get away with a mid-point set up of around 4500'PA?
    5) Where can I get a Mitas 19" rear trails tire?
    6) Will "Tire Balls" hold up?

Thanks ahead of time to any and all for experienced relpies.

2. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    This summer I plan on riding the CDR (MT-NM) on my 2001 -YZ250f.
    My: low-time org piston/rings, fresh cam chain, 4.2 gal, e-line, GPR, rekluse, Moto-Pro suspended, DID O ringed, Trail Tech & tagged, 03 camed, Ty Davis carbed, FMF Q2'd - YZ250f.
    It is what I own, it has been sitting a lot since a work injury in 2002.
    The bike is nicely set up, runs great, starts immediately. And . . . .
    like I said I own it and all the money spent on set up.
    Advice I seek:
    1) Gearing:
    currently I run a 13/49 that results in a 3.77 raito. I plan on swapping back and forth durring the ride for conditions between a - 14/45 (FLAT TERRAIN)for a 3.21 ratio, and swithching counters to a 12 with a 45r for a 3.75 raito (MTNS) which puts it nearly the same as what I run now.
    This is the only solution I see as feasible. I estimate a 16% reduction in top end rpm though I don't know what that means yet in MPH. I want to be able to cruise at 55mph for hours.
    2) Engine I've read of many engines of this type running well in excess of 250hrs and or over 4,000miles(WR). Mine has maybe 65hrs on it.
    3) I do not plan on camping. But I do plan on surviving. I will pack very light.
    Does anyone have experence on what the subframe can take?
    4) Jetting will I be able to get away with a mid-point set up of around 4500'PA?
    5) Where can I get a Mitas 19" rear trails tire?
    6) Will "Tire Balls" hold up?

Thanks ahead of time to any and all for experienced relpies.

3. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    I did last summer on a DR350 w/ a 14 CS instead of a stock 13. There are very few steep/technical sections. I would gear up and carry a smaller CS in case you find yourself looking at a hill that is uncomfortable.

Are you using the Adventure Cycling Association routing/maps? I can help with a couple of trouble spots.

I ran with Ride-On goop in my tires and had no flats. Two of the five bikes had one flat the entire trip due to a nail and a small piece of barbed wire fence. I think both would have been rideable with some sort of goop, and could have been changed at the next stop.

When do you plan on leaving?

Sorry I can't help with any of the YZ stuff.

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I did it in '07 on a KLR geared down one tooth, but with your WR I would gear up as emerson said.

I'll jinx myself - we had 4 guys and NO flats. I personally don't believe in slime, but we all had extra tubes and tire changing equipment. No experience with tire balls, but there will be a lot of high speed running. Not sure how they hold up to that (heat).

If you get caught in the rain/mud in NM it will suck on ANY bike, although less on a lightweight MX bike.

I would suggest a GPS (and a SPOT if you are gonna be solo). No cell phone coverage in a lot of places.

We brought camping gear but only camped a few times. I would just bring survival stuff and motel it all if I did it again. I HATE camping though (never can sleep).

What's your fuel range? You need at least 200 miles, maybe more.

I was fine with stock jetting on my KLR, but it has a CV carb. Even with the FCR I think you would be OK with just a T-handle idle mix screw you can access. Highest point is around 12,000 feet I think?

If I didn't have to ride 1500 miles to get to the start and 1200 home from the end I would do it on my KLX250S without a second thought. It does have a nice wide ratio 6 speed though.

Fill out your profile.
  5. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    Continental Divide Ride on a 2001-YZ250f, with a few caveats: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Low time on the bike <70hrs total. I am org owner<o:p></o:p>
    hurt at work , now healed and this is what I own;<o:p></o:p>
    4.2 gal, GPR, e-line 200w, lighting/license, side stand,<o:p></o:p>
    rekluse, ZipTy carb mods, bar snake, aluminum body<o:p></o:p>
    armor everywhere, FMF Q2, MotoPro off road spring&<o:p></o:p>
    suspension set-up, hand guards, DID ‘O’ ring chain,<o:p></o:p>
    fresh cam chain, short billet kick arm, and a ‘03’ cam. <o:p></o:p>
    I’m looking for some knowledgeable advice (other than <o:p></o:p>
    sell it) on the following technical questions:<o:p></o:p>
    1) Gearing; Currently I run a 13/49 for a ratio of 3.77:1<o:p></o:p>
    (my research comes up dry for SPECIFICS<o:p></o:p>
    ie- actual experience, part numbers etc. . . . <o:p></o:p>
    inserting WR 1<SUP>st</SUP> & 5<SUP>th</SUP>), I plan on swapping between<o:p></o:p>
    countershaft sprockets. A 14/45 for the flats @ 3.21:1-<o:p></o:p>
    and 12/45 for tighter sections giving a 3.75:1. <o:p></o:p>
    2) Rear Subframe; I do not plan on camping. I do plan on<o:p></o:p>
    surviving. I will pack light, but sufficient. How durable is<o:p></o:p>
    the aluminum subframe ref; weight bearing capacity?<o:p></o:p>
    3) Engine time; I have read and heard accounts of the<o:p></o:p>
    Yamaha motor running well over 250hrs and/or 4000mls.<o:p></o:p>
    Anyone with actual experience?<o:p></o:p>
    4) Tire Balls; will they hold up and alleviate the hassle of<o:p></o:p>
    flats?<o:p></o:p>
    5) Where can I get a 19” 110 Mitas rear trails tire? <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I appreciate any and all constructive help in advance, thanks.
  6. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know a lot about the 250F. But I can tell you you probably do not want to run a trials tire for a DS ride. They are great for slow tech but are not really meant for long HS burns. And definatly not long stretches of road. They get HOT. I have run one a lot in the desert and the mountains. And they do hold up very well when you run them right. But for your ride I would run a knobbie for the shear fact that they do not get flats as easy. The other problem is there is no such thing as a 19" trials tire. You would need to get an 18, which I recommend anyway due to the tire choices and the cush of the tall sidewall.

Then to the tire balls. They are cool. But not easy to deal with or fix on the trial. I see the point of trying to avoid a flat in the first place but, this is again a distance not speed ride. So I would stick to something that is proven, the tube. You can fix it easy if, you need to.
  7. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :confused Are you riding the Continental Divide Route, the one from New Mexico to Canada? The route, except for a few short sections, is mostly dirt roads, with some pavement stretches. Your setup sounds like you're preparing for a Dakar race.

Do a search and look up some Divide Ride reports. Here is one. This route is more suited for a KLR or a DRZ rather than a modified motocross bike. I'm sure it can be done on a YZ, but it won't be comfortable or very enjoyable.
  8. kailwathne

kailwathne Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I rode the CDR solo last September on my KTM 950s and had a blast. It is a long ride and I did it in two weeks and then rode home from Antelope Wells, 4k miles all together. My advice is that most of the route is easy dirt roads and some pavement. There was only about four sections that a 250 would have been nice to be on, Rocky and steep. The only section I had to go around was Lava mountain but It had been raining for days and It was too muddy and slick for the 950 to get through (I tried). Plan on long days of riding and comfort would be my priority. I camped about 50/50 because of the weather. No sense in being miserable. I would go in August next time and avoid the rain and snow, it was an early winter and not an Indian summer. Be prepared for all kinds of weather and I was suprised how much of the route was at altitude, I should have known because it is the Divide ride. Go and have fun and be aware that there are a few sections that you a 250 mile range on the fuel.:D