yz250fx/wr250f FI thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by peglegs, Aug 25, 2015.

1. peglegs

peglegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These things are selling like hot cakes and they have almost nothing in common with previous models. I am picking mine up on Thursday and would like to put in the competition ECU and remap right away. I would love to here from those who have already done so and what did you use for mapping, what made you happy, what are your impressions of the bike so far?
  2. peglegs

peglegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK this thread has some legs. Here is what you need to do. Screw that limits throttle is a" tamper proof" torx, get the right tool first. Second, the air intake is restricted. take out the filter, remove the cage and on the back side is this alien looking thing. Just rip it off. The exhaust is straight forward.
    Do not order a comp ecu from Rocky mountain atv 3 days before heading to Colorado. They will ship the wrong ecu. OK get it from Yamaha and get the gytr tuner, I will give the maps soon.
  3. AFdude

AFdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a great bike. I have one and did the ECU/Competition package, g2 throttle tamer, and FMF Q4. Once the suspension is set up for your weight, it's a total woods/singletrack slayer. Just beware if you're coming from the previous model WR's... This one is about 3 inches taller.
  4. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought an FX myself. Going through the motions of getting it tailored to my needs now. Great bike.
  5. AGrant

AGrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am resurrecting this thread. I am in the market for a new bike. Looking to get a dirt bike this time and not necessarily a dual sport...although if I got the WR, I would dual sport it eventually.

Anyway, does anyone have experience riding BOTH bikes. How do they compare, really! I know the physical differences: headlight, kickstand, blah blah blah, but what about performance? Can you really take a WR and make it a FX with the ECU and removing the throttle stop?

thanks
  6. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    The YZ250FX and WR250F (from 2015) are the same bike with changes that make one a closed-course bike (YZ250FX), and one EPA-compliant (WR250F).
    So, off the showroom floor, the YZ250FX rips and is loud, and the WR250F feels restricted and lacking performance along with glitchy throttle response.

As far as I have read and heard, once you uncork the WR250F, it performs as the YZ250FX does, assuming they run the same muffler.
    The YZ250FX comes with a much smaller and louder muffler since it is a closed course bike, so if both bikes run the same muffler, they perform the same.
    If you keep the WR with the stock muffler (even with the little "pea shooter" restrictor removed), it will be much quieter than the YZ250FX, but give up some performance in the process.
  7. Never To Old

Never To Old n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have suggestions on lowering the 2015 WR250F?
  8. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send the forks and shock off to a suspension tuner,
    give them your weight, your riding conditions, your riding skills, and your credit card.

I wouldn't mess up this bike's serious enduro capabilities w/ a lowering link and shoving the fork above the triple clamps. Save this cheap effort on used ratted up trail bikes.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The seat height is listed at 38"
    I do not see the previous model seat height at 35" ???
  10. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess there is no love for the WR250F. I would have expected a way bigger thread.
    massholejim likes this.
  11. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my kid a 2015 WR250F and until he hits a growth spurt, I put a Devol lowering link on it and a GYTR low seat. Knocked off about 2.5 inches from the seat height.
  12. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm trying - I rode mine yesterday.
  13. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    And today.
  14. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the low seat kit from Seat Concepts. I am 5'9 and have the YZ250FX. Its taller than the 250F. I still can't flat foot it but I can get the balls of my feet down.