YZ250X, what's the story?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by w33b8t1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. w33b8t1

w33b8t1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    could see myself in the market next spring for a new 300, but I see Yamaha came out with the long awaited enduro version.

Yz250 has long been pretty much the gold standard in two strokes.

They are supposed to be on the shelves right about now, anyone trying one?
  2. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Not on the dealer floor yet here in Albq. Should be any day now. I will check in with the
    dealer tomorrow. I am really thinking about getting this one. It could replace the 05 300 in my garage!
  3. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm totally stoked about the YZ250X myself. I really love my 2006 YZ250 but wish it had a wider gap between 3-4 & 4-5. I love how well the YZ transitions between tight turns quickly and it has so much bottom end power it explodes out of one corner and into the next. It make a perfect woods bike for my size frame.
    I'd love a new X but that's just not in the cards at this time for me.
  4. cody94dr350

cody94dr350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in one too, loving my kdx200, just craving some more power
  5. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Looks like Bobby J's Yamaha has one in the shop getting assembled as I write this. Should be on the floor
    tomorrow or Saturday.
  6. MCVL

MCVL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't it supposed to be more.. mellow, with less top end power and more bottom?
  7. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    So instead of offering the complete WR400 / WR426 gearsets that guys were swapping into the YZ250 as a factory option (2.42, 1.73, 1.31, 1.05, 0.84) it looks like they just changed around the top three gears (YZ250: 1.93, 1.53, 1.28, 1.09, 0.95, YZ250X: 1.93, 1.53, 1.31, 1.05, 0.84).
  8. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    It actually has a bit less bottom end and better top end than a standard YZ250
  9. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to jack this fine thread, love YZ250's, put a 220 jug, Wiseco piston, aftermarket exhaust and reed on the KDX, and have this guy do the squish band and carb mod:

http://rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_004.htm

He's a wizard! My KDX220 runs out as hard or harder than a stock KX250 with these mods. 4th gear throttle wheelies. Cheaper than a new bike lol. PM me any questions so we can keep this thread on track.

BTW can't wait to hear real life experiences with the YZ250X, sounds like a killer bike! About time somewhere other than Oz got some good stuff on the road! :D
    boingk likes this.
  10. boingk

boingk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you guys are getting the 250! Awesome bikes.
  11. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Got to see one in person today at the shop. It is spoken for, and not by me.
    Looks really good just like a YZ, but the suspension does fill much more plush then a YZ.
    What I like most is the suspension and the weight. 229lbs ready to ride full tank. My 05 300 EXC,
    is around 253lbs ready to ride full tank.
  12. Texasclouds

Texasclouds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my local shop said they may get one in a couple months. i am on the fence about getting one vs a 10 yr KTM for 1/2 the cost.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I was checking one out, nice machine. As for the YZ being the gold standard, that's highly debatable.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  14. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo Don Cheto #1 Fan

Oddometer:
    Nice write in October Dirt Rider comparing the YZ250FX and YZ250X.

I am looking at one to replace my KX 2T, but I am also liking the Beta Crosstrainer.
  15. AtomicGeo

Oddometer:
    I think right now, Yamaha is ahead of the other Japanese companies in terms of willingness to invest in off-road models.
  16. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's great that Yamaha is doing this but I wish they'd go all in and make a bike to compete with the KTM/Husky/Beta 2 smokes. 250 along with a 300, and e start. With the new KTM 2 strokes supposedly getting an e start that's worth a damn in the next year it makes the YZ250X lose a little of it's shine.

Just because the YZ250 is the gold standard doesn't mean there aren't better bikes out there, they are just measured against the YZ.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    How does an bike that not the best in it's class (as you put it) become the gold standard?

That might be the case in GA but if you take a look at the starting line of any of the major enduro type races (GNCC, Erzburg, etc...) where 2 strokes the are run. You see far more KTM300s than YZ250s, the ratio isn't even close. Resale prices, demand and interest back that up. Do you see any active YZ250 threads on here besides this one?

That being said I'm not knocking the YZ at all, the new 2t is a big step in the right direction for Yamaha and will take sales away from KTM.
  18. AtomicGeo

Oddometer:
    I think in the 2T enduro world, the euros have the market cornered...japs haven't tried much to counter with a comparable 2T...big mistake. I am hoping the YZ250X makes a dent in it...but I would not use an advrider thread as a measure of what's worth of taking notice.

for more complete discussion & info on the 2T Yamahas, I'd look here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/79-yamaha-2-stroke/
  19. AtomicGeo

Oddometer:
    I had a modded 2003 KDX220 w/ the RB designs carb and head mods (plus KX forks, gnarly expansion chamber, and FMF silencer) ...it had no way near the power of my 2003 KX250. I sold the KDX for that reason. The power delivery is completely different between the two. The KDX chugged & lugged, by the KX is more explosive...just look it up, there are plenty of dyno charts out there with the modded KDX putting maybe between 30-33 HP. The KX250 is in the mid-40s HP wise. No secret there, I kept the KX250.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I ride with the guy who bought my 08 300 and it's e-start still works fine but I agree the design could be better. By virtue of it's design, the owner can remove it for weight savings with very little work (Ign cover) and many do right out of the crate. Unlike most e-start bike where it leaves a gaping hole in the case half with the starter motor removed.

On my new one I'm trying to see how long I can go before ever kick starting it, right now it's got about 55 hrs.

That's kinda generic Geo, it covers all the 2 stroke models Yamaha has ever made which is allot. On here interest (and threads) tends to be model specific which was the point I was trying to make.

I want to ride one of the new YZs, I've seen them on the showroom and they look pretty nice. For me kicking a 2 stroke over is a non-issue and the 5sp in not a detractor either, 6sp just means you shift more. If the bike's power supports it I'd prefer the 5 since the overall ratio isn't usually much different.