YZ250X, what's the story?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by w33b8t1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo Don Cheto #1 Fan

Oddometer:
    alright here's a few:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1149803-2016-yz250x/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1140822-2016-250x/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1150258-how-will-the-yz250x-compare-with-ktm-and-beta-enduro-bikes/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1147709-going-2-stroke-250x-what-should-i-expect/
  2. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Chugged and lugged?

Okay lol whatever you say. Mine "chugs and lugs" wheelies in 4th gear pretty easy.

I sold my '01 KX250 because the KDX220 was more versatile (street legal) and close to the same power.

As always "YMMV" lol.

Sorry to get the thread off topic. Subject closed on my end.
  3. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    The New YZ250X is a great bike, going by the reviews. Alas, it will still lag way behind KTM in sales for one reason.

"FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" It's just so much easier to buy a new KTM, & go right to DMV for an MC plate.

I've owned only Yamahas my whole life, but in todays world, I need to have a street legal plate.

I would go down to my Yamaha dealer tomorrow & buy one, if I was able to plate it.
  4. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'll stick with my $400 20 year old husky. 6 speed, nice side stand, big stock tank, 18/21 excel wheels, brembos, factory lighting coil. It does it all:rofl
  5. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What gearing are you running?
  6. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    14/46 if I recall correctly. Would have to look. Bike is stored somewhere else.
  7. Texasclouds

Texasclouds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i picked up a clean one-owner 2008 YZ250 last week. interestingly the model number on the manual says YZ250X.

previous owner added some off road gear and a heavier flywheel. i have really been enjoying this bike so far! tons of power!! suspension is better than anything i had ridden before (mainly air cooled trail bikes).

the only things i want to add is kickstand and a headlight. after riding it on dirt roads i can tell you this really ain't the bike for running blacktop at 50+ MPH. you have to let the engine sing to get doing that fast. a 6th gear would let you putt around better. first gear is taller than my XT225 but i was able to climb steep stuff just fine. i also can putt around in 1st as slow as i need to.
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Depending on the terrain you run you might want to make a gearing change. I ran a hare scramble last weekend with my YZ250F that's a bike with much less power and on one part of the course we were topped out in 5th gear alongside I-70 and I was matching the speed of the cars! If you click the link you can see how fast the course was 2 years ago and I think this years was even faster! For this year I put a 45 tooth sprocket on the rear of my bike (down from a 48) it works perfect of high speed riding. On a 450 I'd do a 14-45 and I bet that'd be good for close to 100mph. I'm not sure if a YZ250 has enough bottom for a 14T front but there's no harm in trying.

That always been the crappiest thing about using Moto-X bikes for anything other than Motocross. The bikes are geared for MX tracks not trail or desert. The modern Yamaha WRs have the gearing but they are kinda heavy pigs compared to their MX counterparts (which is why KTM has decimated their sales and has been the leader in the Enduro/HS world for the last 15 years). I think the YZ250X is a great bike for nearly a $1,000 less than a KTM 250 XC but it's missing some of the goodies a KTM has.
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    The YZ250X is a step in the right direction. Good for the guys running harescrambles and fast cross country racing.

But not up to par with more enduro 2T offerings from the Euro manufacturers.
  10. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    It really depends on what you're looking for...
    It's got a killer motor, light weight, affordable... I really loved the motor on my 06 YZ. I know they've made some changes to the power on the X and I can't wait to see what it's like.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    No you are right, its a good bike for some people. Its the bike many people modified the mx YZ250 into.

As some people mentioned above the "off-highway use only" titles dont work for me. Thats a deal breaker and the #1 reason I went Euro.
    Maybe it was just the way they were set up but Ive ridden a few MX 250s on the trail. I prefer the mellower powerband from my old KTM or new Beta. I also like the wider range gearing.

I hope they sell well for Yamaha and maybe they can compete more with the Euro bikes as dualsports and woods/enduro bikes.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am working my way towards trying a 2 stroke. I ride offroad and am not a racer but would like to try something racy, just to get the full 2-stroke experience and see if I can learn to ride faster and better. I am leaning towards a 250 xc. I thought I should check out the alternatives but there don't seem to be many alternatives? How about the YZ250X? Between Abq, Denver, and Phoenix there are zero of them on CL which makes me wonder if they even exist as a practical matter? What else should I look at? I'll still have my 500 EXC so dual-sport ability is not a particular consideration, in fact I want to see what a "pure" dirt bike is like.
  13. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just for you, TOD
    Bitingdog and timeOday like this.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that was enjoyable! Not sure a 2007 Honda is where I'm going with this but...
  15. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    The 250X is a great machine but compared to the KTM, it vibrates more and makes less peak power. I love the power and handling of the YZ yet would buy the KTM just for the smoothness and ability to put a tag on it.
  16. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a used ‘16 YZ250X on CL a couple of weeks ago. I had actually never ridden a 2-stroke before I bought it so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. My previous bike was a ‘14 KTM 350 EXC-F and I’m just a casual trail rider, but I do ride some pretty nasty stuff sometimes. Unfortunately, I’ve only been able to ride it around in a couple of fields so far but I am feeling pretty good about it for my use. The descriptors that come to mind right off the bat are quick, nimble, light, exciting, fun, capable, luggable, fast, powerful, and fun again. It puts a smile on my face.

It does vibrate a bit in the pegs if you’re sensitive to that sort of thing, but it’s no KTM 640. My 350 was buzzier in the handlebars and body.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never did even find one YZ250X to look at.

(Would it be trashing the thread to say I would up getting an '18 300XC and love it ?)
  18. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way man, that is an incredible bike. Congratulations!
  19. Hipower90

Hipower90 I’ve breathed the mtn air, man

Oddometer:
    Love my 18 x. I ride the 05 YZ the most, but still have 153 hrs on the X. All on hard enduro type terrain. Rocky pics are the x last Sat solo in the NC mtn back country. The 05 was this morning behind the house.

BC9CD8A4-4EEC-4BBC-B1D3-2CF614AB4307.jpeg 0AA7DC89-E4B6-429E-BF6E-06F89F0E82C0.jpeg 74915D31-14FB-45CA-8DF1-23533847F181.jpeg