Yz400f D/s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tork, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    Seems I have the early warning signs for thumper fever , I have seen many
    models being discussed in this forum , but the Yamaha YZ400F.

Does this bike lend itself to be a good D/S ? the one thing that comes to mind
    is the tranny ratio,s .

TIA
    Tork
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    I had the WR426 dsported briefly and is was yes a HOOT. But...
    gearing is to short for any kind of road travel other than connecting trails.
    the thing was a bitch to start when hot if you hadn't got all the particulars down.
    the seat makes the KTM seat feel like a 2x4
    no keyed ignition so no lock. (carry a chain)
    and ended up being imposilble to get passed DEQ for a plate in my state. (WA)

If it was just DS to connect trails a newer WR450 with the magic button would be much more the kind but as the 400 and 426 are kick only ...ouch.

good luck either way you go. I've seen more converted KTM 525 and 450EXC than WR/YZ. they seem to get by deq easier and are magic button enabled
    :nod
  3. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I answered this question on a different post for you, but then saw you started a new thread.

The answer is NO! Consider a KTM EXC or 03 and new WR instead. The problems with the YZ are:
    Very small fuel tank
    No lighting coil (expensive to add)
    Close ratio transmission
    No spark arrestor in the silencer
    Very high maintanence-valve adjustments and oil changes (must be done often)
    No electric start
    No keyed ignition
    98's were very stubborn when it came to starting. :nod

I personally would consider the KTM EXC for the fact that it has top quality features, electric start, and most importantly a 6-speed transmission.
  4. Steelhead

Steelhead It's all good

Oddometer:

Don't waste your time. Really!!!!!!
    Not only do you need a different bike for Daul Sporting but in Washington State you will not get it plated, period, end of story.
    I have a 2000 Yamaha WR400 and tried every legal option out there and couldn't get a plate. There isn't a way to it unless you buy one from another state that already has a plate.
    Take dirtriders advice and look at an EXC or other KTM model. Those can be plated in Washington State. I got a KTM 625 SXC plated here in WA with no problemos. :nod
    Too many equipment hurdles to jump (and plating) with your YZ. IMO
  5. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Agree with everything in DR's post except this. I'd say the YZ's (especially the ones before they went to Ti Valves) are more bulletproof than just about anything else, and certainly no worse than the KTM EXC's.

A friend w/ an 00 YZ (426 but Stainless valves) Roadraced (all day on the rev limiter), Motarded, ran the Pikes Peak Hillclimb (more rev limiter), and did 3 years worth of trailriding before he ever checked the valves. They were still in spec. That's a tough motor. Not saying they'll all be this good, but they seem to be pretty strong.
  6. Tork

Tork Aluminum Cigar Stuffer

Oddometer:
    Thank You to all who replyed .

You brought up points I had not considerd .

The link below is the bike that got me thinking it might be a good choice .
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/mcy/47249701.html

I will keep looking for now .

thanks again

Tork :thumb
  7. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading the ad, the bike sounds better. The bike already has a few things added that I had mentioned would need to be done.

Already Washington legal (I'm not in WA, but wouldn't this bike be grandfathered if already plated and titled? Maybe Steelhead can answer this.)

E-Line lighting coil

Headlight

Taillight

3.4 gal. tank

Spark arrested exhaust

The bike doesn't sound like a bad deal if it's in good shape and already legal in WA. Someone's already done the hard part for you. Might be worth looking at. :nod
  8. Steelhead

Steelhead It's all good

Oddometer:
    As I understand it you "should be grandfathered" with an existing plate but if I were you I would check with the WA. DMV before you plunk down your cash. They have really tighened the belt on these loopholes.

Sounds like the bike might be worth looking into. Keep in mind the YZ has somewhat limited closer range tranny but still an awesome bike. Not for the timid and needs to be ridden aggressively if you want to enjoy the bike. Ridden casually it is actually harder to ride. It's a screamer and wants to be ridden hard. Ride it and you will see what I mean. It's not a cushy trail bike.
  9. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    The close ratio tranny is either desireable or a deal killer, depending on where you ride.

If you want to do everything from the tight to freeway, it's a deal killer. You can't get both ends on the same final gearing. You can slot a WR tranny in, but you've gotta split the cases and it aint worth doing on that bike.

If you want to ride mostly on high speed stuff, it's an advantage because the gaps stay workable with tall gearing. Hence all the desert racers and motarders, etc run YZ's.

But if you want to run mostly high speed stuff for D/S type use, I respectfully submit that there are better bikes.