Yz85 advice

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gravetter, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Gravetter

Gravetter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for a cheap bike to romp around on my smallish 5 acre trail layout. Nothing too crazy just something to have fun on out back. I've been looking for something DIRT cheap (sub $500) and came across a 2001 yz85.

It runs fine but the plastic is terribly ugly which I don't care about, but as I said it runs fine. Guy said he'd give it to me for $500.

I'm going back tomorrow to take another look. I don't know much about them and was hoping someone could give an idea of things I should look for.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just watched the youtube video on it, looks like a cool, fun playbike, who gives a shit about the plastics...
  3. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 2001 YZ85 is a hyper little machine. They are quite powerful, and loud, so I hope that your neighbors are tolerant. The little YZ does *not* have any kind of power valve, so it will be a "top-end only" type of motor. In its day, it had the best suspension of the 85cc machines. It also had one of the tallest seat heights, so it will accommodate larger riders easier than the others.
    85cc MX machines need some love in the motor department. Pistons and cranks will only last so long in these little high-revving power plants.
    Overall, the little YZ is a great machine. You may have to gear it down, as they come geared a bit tall from the factory.
    FWIW - The Suzuki RM85 has the only power valved motor of the 85cc class, so it is best suited for beginners, but it also had the weakest suspension. The Honda CR85 was an "Expert-Only" type of machine, with a very narrow power band. The Kawasaki KX85 was right in the middle, with decent top end, and decent suspension.
  4. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If its a 2001, its a yz80. The yz85s didn't come out until a year or two later. The yz80 is a little peakier than a yz85. The YZ80s have the powerband of a lightswitch. When its switched on, they are a BLAST!!! They can be a total hoot on a small track. BTW the CR85 "expert" is just a regular CR85 with bigger wheels. The CR85 has more mid-range power and is easier to ride than the YZ80 or YZ85. The YZs have more top-end power. If its mechanically sound and your track is laid out properly, it may be the best $500 you ever spent. :)