Yzf 426?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Miguel, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    I just got a line on a 01 YZF 426 with a big IMS tank, skid plate, bark busters, frame guards, trip computer and in decent shape. The guy told me it has WR gearing. I don't know if thats the 5th changed out or just the two sprokets. I'm on limited budget and It seems like a good deal ($4k Cdn). Any thoughts on this for general trails and the odd trip south to Baja etc?
  2. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    In the dirt bike magazines the YZ set up with the IMS tank and WR gears has always been considered the better woods bike for serious racers. In the states the WR came with several EPA compromises to be more than just a 'closed course racer'. The YZ comes as a full bore race bike, complete with an uncorked engine. Putting in the WR wide ratio gear set (I think just 4th and 5th gear replacement) makes it a woods bike. The IMS tank gives it the distance to make any gas stop in a XC race and in the opinion of most, the YZ seat/IMS tank provided better egronomics than the WR setup. In fact the IMS tank with the YZ seat was considered a must modification by many for the WR.

For your money you would be getting a dead serious dirt bike, a bike that most magazines have held to be the best of the modern 4-strokes in it's class. It will have a MX power band, meaning when you go WFO that engine will hit like a Saturn V on take off. Me, I like that type of power. I'm one of the crazy ones, I used to race a 500MX and loved it. The YZ provides 250 2-stoke power with 500 2-stroke torque which can make it a handful. If that tickles your fancy it sounds like a good deal and it will take you into a world beyond general trails.
  3. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    :D SWEET!!!!!!

Kdxkawboy: I like that reply! I'm stoked about this bike. I'm pretty sure it's the WR 4th and 5th gears in it, but I'll be finding out tomorrow. It was on consignment in a local, pure dirt bike shop. The shop owner (honest as the day is long) tells me it's a great bike.