YZF250, What Should I Offer For This

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willu707, Oct 17, 2009.

1. willu707

willu707 Will, 2006 Yamaha XT225

Oddometer:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1425120955.html

What should I offer for the YZF250 in this listing. Im gonna go look at this bike after work. Im just curious what I should throw out as an offer to this guy? Cant wait, this is gonna be my first full dirt bike. I also have a 2006 Yamaha XT225 (dualsport), but this will be much more fun in the dirt. Thanks
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The asking price seems very reasonable to me.
  3. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    It is hard to offer without seeing the bike. Make an appt to see the bike. Put $1400 in your left pocket. Split up the rest in your right pocket (rubber band $200 increments) And dicker. :gerg
  4. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Without seeing the bike I would guess $1400-$1800 if it's clean and has been well taken care of.
  5. EDS_TLS

EDS_TLS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my buddy tried to sell his '02 YZ250F for months.

Starting price was $2200. After lowering his price several times, he finally found someone to give him $1500 for it
  6. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Whatever you pay, figure the cost of a top end. 250's eat valves. If it has been motocrossed, I would probably pass.

I would ask the owner to show you how to check valve clearances. If he/she does not know, I'd walk away.

Dirt Bike has been doing used bike buying guides for the last couple of months. One of the issues had a cost breakdown of common replacement parts.

Tom B
  7. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    How many hours on it? Love how the seller says it runs perfect, the fork seals were replaced recently. LOL.

Like Barnyard said, a 250F has shorter maintenance interval. You could easily spend the asking price in repairs if the motor is worn.

Sean :bmwrider
  8. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought an 03 early last year for $1400 nice clean bike,but PO admitted they had some issues with water pump impellers braking,one had destroyed the bottom end after a complete bottom end they put in an aftermarket impeller and had no problems. So you may resarch about that issue.

I liked the 250f as a woods bike,nice power,the bike had real nice suspension IMO. I'm kinda glad I sold it though I know the maintnance is expensive on the 4 stroke MX bikes.