zūmo 396 LMT-S - whats different?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mosey.levy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    My guess is it’s just Garmin trying to squeeze more $$$.
  3. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s the same price we the 395LM and same size screen. Weird.
  4. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    They add wi-fi and a few other “features”, different case and call it “new & improved”. Time to toss your old one and upgrade...

I might understand it if there was a newer/faster processor and more memory. That may be the case, I haven’t seen the specs, nor read thru the other thread on this model.
  5. UtahSooner

UtahSooner awagnon

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to replace my ZUMO 550 which still works but is having issues and I'm reluctant to take it on a trip to Alaska next month. I was ready to buy a 595 when I got the email about the new 396 LMT-S. The only thing, other than price, that would convince me to buy it over the 595 is the screen. The spec's indicates it has a TFT screen compared with a "transflective" screen on the 595. Generally I like the brightness of TFT screens, but I'm not sure if the 396 really is TFT or the same technology as the old screen. Does anyone know or seen one in person?

One other feature (or lack of) is that the 396 does not appear to have a wired sound output. I output the earphone jack on my 550 into a mini amplifier and listen via wired speakers in my helmet. Sure, it's not cool like bluetooth, but it works and has the volume and reliability I like. Might be forced to buy the 595 just for a wired sound output

Thanks,
    Al
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They finally enabled the ability to link up to Smartphone link app to get on device weather/radar, and traffic avoidance on the 39# series. I know the lack of traffic avoidance antenna in the standard Zumo setup has always bugged the hell out of me. Unfortunately, this way uses your cellular data service, which could cost you money.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how many Waypoints, Custom Routes, and Tracks the Zumo 396 LMT-S supports?

The official Garmin spec doesn't show these numbers.

Thanks.

Kam