Z125 Pro DualSport Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dirty D', Mar 19, 2018.

1. Dirty D'

Dirty D' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride Report...
    Headed out for Pine Valley early February for a road called 'Pine creek road' to take a somewhat paved fire road that go's up through the Cleveland National Forest on a fairly well single lane paved road . but it was not without hidden shadow pothole surprises .
    I passed the Pacific Crest trail on my way to Pine valley and I connected back up with it at the top 6000ft level where there's a Desert View of the El Centro Valley / Most of the vegetables you eat are from there .
    All n all, a Great 90 Mile Street ride with the Z' . and if it wasn't for everyone pointing at me , i would have totally forgotten I was on a Mini :ksteve
    Laguna Mountains - Wikipedia
    The highest point is Cuyapaipe Mountain at 6,378 feet (1,944 m). The mountains are largely contained within the Cleveland National Forest. Snow falls on the highest peaks several times a year. Mount Laguna is a village in the Laguna Mountains with a population of about 80.
    2-9-18 Laguna (2).JPG 2-9-18 Laguna (5).JPG 2-9-18 Laguna (9).JPG 2-9-18 Laguna (11).JPG
    Ride Now, MYUMPH and RustySpokes like this.
  2. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    90 miles! that's quite a ride-did you happen to check your fuel mileage? Be curious to know what kind of range that 2 gals of gas can get you.
  3. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    I'm On a Z' specific forum and everyone's getting 85 to 105 MPG ..........
    but on the forum 99 per-cent of them are street riders only, so trying the Dual-sport thing here !
    It was actually my first gas test so i took a picture at the pump (no pin or paper)
    I filled up before the ride and filled up when i got home ... looks like 93mpg and thats climbing to 6000 feet. and being 125 it's full throttle all the way up.
    so i guess I can go almost 200 miles on 2 gallons on simi flat land
    2-9-18 ride (100).JPG
    MYUMPH likes this.
  4. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    The Duel-Sport / Super-Moto Z's are really starting to show up now :super
    12599189_977461778988469_1454073457_n.jpg
    Bucho and NJ-Bill like this.
  5. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Heading to some sand dunes today for a overnighter, But with it on my van .
    So this should be interesting , I haven't seen any pic's or anyone try that yet :muutt
    With the 100/90 front tire it does better than my KLR in the flat sand washes , but pure deep steep sand ?
    Ya , Its going to be all about momentum :kurt
  6. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Ride Report
    Thinking the Z' has concord everything I've put in front of it . time to see how it does in the dunes . Ya , Pure, Deep, Soft, Sand Dunes . I Headed to camp out close to the back way into the dunes , due to easier slopes to get into the dunes . Picked out my way up to what looked the best way in but only made it 3/4 of the way up the first slope . and there's another 1/4mi of slopes before reaching the sand dunes ... time to Just Say No ... I would try it again with knobby's instead of the street slicks that i was trying to ski uphill with, but just to ride around the lower edges of the dunes .
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG
  7. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Put my Kenda K761's tires on and went for a ride in the In-ko-Poh mountains over looking the Anza Borrego Desert
    . Kenda 2.JPG 4-8-18 (13) - Copy.JPG 4-8-18 (48) - Copy.JPG 4-8-18 (58) - Copy.JPG
    BigIron805, merc16, NJ-Bill and 2 others like this.
  8. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the tread of those Kenda's, kind of a 70/30 tire. Where did you get your O-ring chain and 15tsprocket ?
  9. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Amazon ... you need to trim the cover guard back or it rubs a little and i trimmed the case saver 1/16" for the bigger diameter of the 15T but not sure if that was a must ? just wanted to keep the original design clearance . Chain is still the stock 100 link even with the 15T
    Have all my mod's on another Z125 forum , but i asked baldy and its not acceptable to post other forum links here .
    But guessing its ok for a PM if youd like to check them out .

15 t sprocket (1).JPG 15 t sprocket (6).JPG 15 t sprocket (3).JPG Chain report (1).JPG
    merc16 likes this.
  10. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool ! I wasn't aware of an O-ring for the 125.
  11. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    A Beach'n Day
    Headed for the Pacific Ocean Beaches before summer gets much closer , you dont want to go down there anytime before 8:00am and 8:00pm during the summer time , besides the traffic jams there's no where to park anyways.

Parked at Fiesta Island Bay and then toured around up and down the coast on the Z' . .

First up was the Sunset Cliffs .
    There are Danger warning signs unstable cliffs , but the dirt looked slightly more packed than usual today and the Z' is only 220lbs or something so time for some Z' selfie shots ....
    . 100_3411 - Copy.JPG 100_3399.JPG .
    Then over to one of many boating marina's that offer plenty of 1-2-3 day fishing trips for a fee .
    100_3391.JPG .
    But the highlight of the day was joining up with a pack of scooter girls , They scooted on by me while i was parked and who could resist being one of the pack with girls like that, so i fired up the Z' and tagged along .
    . 100_3379.JPG .
    Ya ... It was the best I've felt in a long, long time
    Until one of them turned around and gave me the one finger peace sign . long story short it was back to the van and head for home
    Ginger Beard and NJ-Bill like this.
  12. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Its amazing how much braver you get when your not on your full size bike
    Rock On 1.JPG Rock On 2.JPG Rock On 4.JPG
  13. Donkey12

Donkey12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These bikes are a ton of fun. Ive had mine for about 2 months. Regularly get 95mpg on mine. Seeing the off road look Dirty D has makes me wanna try that. I fell like a kid on this bike. Pick up the kids from school on it too, any excuse i have to take it out and im gone. Good times!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    For those wondering how good of a Dual Sport could it really make :hmmmmm
    MYUMPH, merc16 and Ginger Beard like this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Dual sporting and Megadeth!!:super
    Dirty D' and merc16 like this.
  16. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought one for my girlfriend to learn on....super fun little bike.
    Dirty D' likes this.
  17. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    @Dirty D' ! Nice looking rig! Picked up a 2017 today with 120 original miles on it. Some guy bought two and figured he would teach his wife how to ride....no luck! He traded them in on a KLX. Great price for Canada at $2600 CDN including all taxes etc.
    So if I might pick your brain, did you feel that removing the lower cowl was detrimental to cooling? Might lose the scoop effect? We bought ours as an "emergency" bike for camping. We tend to get pretty far off the beaten path, and might one day need a way out, so I would not want to smash the sh!t out of the plastics.....
  18. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    Great... Pick away . thats why i started a Z125 thread here .. :thumb
    Actually, I Removed the chin faring so it didn't look like a street bike :fpalm
    bcbullet likes this.
  19. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    Well, I am not sure what kind of break-in the new wee beastie had up to the 200 KM mark, but rather than trailer it home, it got a 45 mile "Motoman" break-in on the Trans Canada highway. I think my wrist is sore from holding the throttle to the stop! :lol3
    The thing is a hoot and fits in the back of the camper with room to move around. Now I just have to resist the urge to start dropping dollars on a pipe, and tires, and bars, and, and and....

Like you, I think I will strip the unnecessary bits off and then throw it on the ground a few times to take the shine off it a bit.

To be completely honest, I probably smiled more riding this one home than the 2012 690 Enduro I bought new. I was surprised how well it went (slowly!) down the highway with the teeny tires. If you even think about turning, it has already done it before the thought is complete. :imaposer
    merc16 likes this.
  20. Dirty D'

Oddometer:
    I thought my smile would fade after 6 months but NO its only getting funny er and crazier the better I get on it :ricky
    Lots of TOTALY FREE mods availibule it your interested. (I Can PM you a link) :deal
    Lowered the stock mirrors, stock exhaust mod, foot peg re-location (just 2 new bolts) and others :nod
    Grreatdog likes this.