Zanesville OH Road advice needed

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by scootac, Sep 9, 2010.

1. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    About 6 or 7 of us are going to Zanesville 2nd week-end in October. We'll be on street bikes and need some good roads to ride! Twisties, sweepers, scenery, along with a couple good places to eat are what we're looking for. We will only have one day to ride. You guys got anything out that way???:D
    THANKS!!!
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:

Tons to ride. You staying over in Zville? Weasle Boys for brew or Muddy Mizers next door for brew & food. Terry's Tavern for cheap brew, bar food and river view. Linden Ave for lots of music choices, Smiling Goat, Barn,.

555 out of Zanesville is a must. You can catch Rt 78 (rim of the world for se ohio) off that road. Should run 666 north out of Zanesville just for the picture plus it's a good road.

Need loops, out and back, east, west? :ear
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hey, THANKS!:clap
    We're staying in a state park, Dillon maybe? Looks like you're just north of there a bit?
    Looking for a loop to ride on Saturday, 2-300 miles or so, depending on what time we drag our butts out,, how long we stop to eat, you know how it goes!
    We're coming from different directions, so will just be riding together one day.
    East, west, north south doesn't matter,, just a good time!
  4. dragoon

Oddometer:

Dillon isn't too bad or check out Wolfie's in Zanesville (check Google). Not as remote as Dillon but it has a nice view and will be remote that time of year.

It puts you close to downtown eats & brew, right off Rt. 666, not far from 555. There are lot's of options if you're looking for 2 -3 hundred mile loops. Stay in the se part of ohio and you will have a blast. Check out Rt 800 also. You'll get some more responses soon I'm sure.
  5. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Glad I checked this thread out. I will be in Columbus the 20th and 21st to see sis. I am then headed down to the Athens area to spend a couple days in my old stomping grounds. I was going to hi ball it down 33 but now I think I'll head East out of Col and ride down through the heart of the Wayne.

Thanks for the reminder Goonie. :thumb
  6. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    (klay) Weasel Boy (/klay):lol3

Was there last Sunday. Kegs and eggs :thumb

Jay has some really great beers on tap, and more getting ready to be consumed.:clap
  7. dragoon

Oddometer:

We went Friday and about cleaned them out of Brown Stoat (not Stout Klay:D )

Didn't know they did kegs & eggs. Is that an invite only?
  8. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:
    664/550/327
    26/800
  9. bruceride

bruceride City Boy

Oddometer:
    Check out 377, South of ZZV by McConnelsville. *Tons* of great roads in this neighborhood. You can ride twistys all day with in 100 miles of ZZV.

For eating / beverages along with Muddy's and Weasel, check out Zacks downtown for good Mexican food. Also, a great diner experience at Nichols and Tom's Ice Cream is a long-time local favorite.
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :D

Nah - I saw Lori mid-week and she told me about it. I was planning to ride that way over the weekend, so we stopped in. I did see a flyer on the front door on Sunday.

They've been building it slowly, plus they both work "regular" jobs, so I think they've kept Sunday/Monday for themselves. And brewing, keg washing, etc.

Lori was telling us about a new Caribbean/Cuban restaurant that the guy who owns Muddy's is planning. They're doing their own urban renewal on the west bank of the river. :thumb
  11. dragoon

Oddometer:

Outstanding ice cream reference :thumb
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far,,,, road-wise and food-wise!:clap
    What I'm gathering from here and others, is you can't find a bad road south of Zanesville.:D How far west does that ass-umption extend? As far west as Rt. 23? Clear south to the W Va/Ky border?
    Thanks!
  13. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Pretty much. If you need a new direction to travel, pick about any 3 digit state route.
  14. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Any last suggestions? Gotta start planning my ride 'cause I'm headed there soon!:D
  15. mynamewasmud

mynamewasmud Hillbilly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    West "By God" Virgina transplant, Ohio, VT
    Don't forget the camera!:ricky
  16. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anything State Route SE of Zanesville is good, the further south and further east the better. Any three number State Route in Noble, Guernsey, Washington, or Noble county is going to treat you well. Some highlights are 536, 255, 260, 26, and 379. 255 and 260 have new pavement. 536 is just amazingly crooked, and there is very little traffic down that way.
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    255 is great, go to Marv's on the river at the end of 255 for lunch. :thumb

Off 536 stop at Point Kadisch (sp?) for a nice vista of the bend in the Ohio River from 500+ feet up.

Personally I've never liked 555, it is a bit too technical for my tastes; too many animals, farmers, gravel, and wierd corners that seem like they should go a different way as you approach. But a lot of guys dig it, like a turbo steamshovel.
  18. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm back,,, and found that SE Ohio is WAAAAYYYY different than riding across OH on I-80!!!! :D
    Three of us rode together Saturday, did a little under 300 miles for the day.
    Route #'s---586,666,555,78,13,550,26 and 800. ALL very twisty roads!!!! And the 555 had the highest pucker-factor for the friggin' hill crests that gave you no clue if the road was going straight or turning!!!! WTF???? We saw a bunch of sport bikes at a little gas station/store,,, glad they weren't on the road behind us.
    Thanks to all who gave me suggestions for routes!:clap
    Here's a few pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed our little corner of the world :thumb
  20. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Great pics! Sorry I missed this thread, need to check the regionals more. Zanesville, Athens and surrounding is all in my back yard... or at least I think of it that way, even though some of it is 60+ miles away, since I grew up all through the area and ride it constantly.

Meef, you are thinking of Keidaisch Point Park. Great spot. Sadly, I didn't take the time to visit it again this summer as SR536 was closed completely in the middle for bridge replacement... not even a single lane pass-thru :waysad What a fun road that is.

Need more FF's to come visit Athens and hang in the greatest town in Ohio. :lol3