1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Zero Bike test ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by HellSickle, Jul 10, 2009.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I arranged for a track demo of the Zero Electric bike yesterday at IMI. Pictures & videos will be posted later.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

At 150 pounds for the dirt version, it was very nimble. There were 4 different settings for power. The lowest setting would be fine for trail riding. At the highest setting, accelleration was impressive. Power was very tractable.

Brakes are on the bars only - front brake on the right, rear brake on the left. That took a bit of getting used to.

Suspension seemed very good for trail riding. While I didn't bottom the suspension, it certainly isn't set up for big jumps.

My biggest complaint was throttle response. There was a bit of a lag between twisting the throttle and accelleration. Also, the power seemed notchy under certain conditions. It was kind of like riding a fuel injected engine with poor mapping. I'm sure those things will be worked out in successive models.

We charged the lithium-ion battery using my 2kw Honda generator. The battery pack weighs 40 pounds and costs $3000. Claimed range was 20-40 miles in the dirt, depending on how heavy you are on the throttle.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance. This would have been the perfect weapon for our recent assault on Laramie Peak last weekend.

Next year's model will incorporate regenerative braking with the hand brake, and conventional braking with a foot pedal.

I forsee an electric bike class in AMA racing within the next 10 years.
  2. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    You can use one of these for backcountry charging.

[​IMG]