Zero electric motorcycle owners: Fewer accidents, close calls, with silent running?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by EvrythingAwesom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you agree that a no-noise motorcycle is a safer motorcycle? Perhaps someone knows of a statistical study on this issue.
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    All the Zero owners I know just make "VROOM VRROOMM VRRROOOMMM" noises in dangerous situations. :ricky

Sure, it seems a little silly at first, but it's actually an excellent survival technique. :nod
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    That's a great question. I recall that electric car makers added sound for pedestrian safety.
  5. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    There hasn't been a study that specifically researches noise vs no noise but there is conclusive evidence that would "suggest" that having a noisy bike isn't helping anything. A very recent study states that 75% of multi-vehicle accidents involving motorcycles are caused by cars making left-handed turns, stealing the right of way. The study advocates the use of visual aids to help with oncoming drivers. Just for fun, find a buddy with loud pipes. Find low-use road. Set him up on one end and set yourself up on the other. Drive toward each other and you might be surprised just how much you CANT hear outside your car, let alone from a vehicle pushing sound behind while moving ahead yards down the road. Hope that answers your question.
  6. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Hey, so if nobody can hear you, why all the uproar over loud bikes?

I almost took out a zero because I didn't hear him slide into the parking spot next to me as I was dismounting.
    He wasn't with me, didn't know him, and as I swung off the gs, there he was, almost knocked off.

My biggest safety concern with an E bike would be having enough lighting to be properly seen.

I think scooters are 'safer' because a majority of them 49cc and can barely get out of their own way.
  7. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    Loud pipes probably do help lane splitters. I sure notice them there before I see them.
    SocalRob likes this.
  8. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
  9. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Without wanting to turn this into a loud pipe thread, I get the fascination of it. My response to the OP was to elude to the idea that since more than half of multi-vehicle accidents involving motorcycles are caused by vehicles turning left in front of the bike, logic would indicate that sound projected behind the bike going forward would make it next to impossible to hear and thus, rendering the E-Bike nor safer or more dangerous. Especially with new vehicles on the road today - they seal everything out. These reports do not go on to talk about how audible aids DONT work but they do go on to advocate visual aids such as lights.

Sure - in parking lots, I could be convinced that since people are moving slower, there is less road noise, having a loud bike over an E-Bike might me beneficial, especially if you are just standing there. Lane splitting? No idea. We dont have lane splitting here in Canada.
    MJSfoto1956 and EvrythingAwesom like this.
  10. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    my brother in-law used to be an engineer with zero bikes and they had one at their wedding I was struck by both how quiet it was as well as how weird hearing the tires and no other sound was.

I remember commenting to my wife about this and wondering about the safety of it.

I also realize that I added nothing to the conversation... just my impression. An actual unbiased (do they have those anymore?) would be interesting.
    TT RDHS and EvrythingAwesom like this.
  11. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Makes sense, thanks for this.
  12. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks!
  13. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with LPSL. It's scary how close emergency vehicles can be before you hear them at times.
    Staying on E bikes, " see & be seen" is a good strategy, but we can't be seen when dumb asses are distracted by their texting, etc.
    Be careful out there everybody.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  14. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

The loud pipe (safety) works, in a very specific situation: Riding sunset/dawn where a cager can't see you coming, but can hear the motorcycle. As the motorcycle offends the whole neighborhood by waking it up. Seen laser forum posts about using green lasers on loud motorcycles in high rise areas. The better solution imo is a very very bright pulsing light during sunrise and sundown.
    The Island likes this.
  15. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    I look forward to my first E bike ... Probably a trials bike initially.
    Bucho likes this.
  16. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Just deep-researched motorcycle/moped/scooter/bicycle accidents. The scooter is the safest form-factor is the scooter, by far. The largest accident type is being hit by a car. So an *electric* scooter/moped (pretending to be an ebike) that can use segregated bike trails/roads and pedestrian bridge walkways will provide a 2-wheeled rider the longest life. Agreed?
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder what impact low noise vehicles will have on hitting deer and other animals. I would think your chances of hitting a deer would be higher on an electric bike but maybe noisy bikes scare the deer and they run into the road?

I would think that having a real quite bike would make it less likely that others, especially pedestrians, wouldn't notice you but maybe you would be more likely to notice other vehicles. Just guessing here.
  18. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    not sure about that.

I follow the logic but have yet to see/hear a quiet Semi and those things kill a lot of deer.
    spacely and EvrythingAwesom like this.
  19. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    So do quiet cars.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  20. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    Re. loud pipes save lives, I have sometimes heard loud Harleys approaching on the highway long before I've seen them. Haven't you guys? Just driving along in your cage, and you hear them approaching from behind?

It's true that most of the noise is behind them, but if they are really loud some of that noise will come forward too.

I do think they save lives. Just not nearly as many as wearing a helmet does.