Zero electric motorcycle owners: Fewer accidents, close calls, with silent running?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by EvrythingAwesom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, I hope you're joking. E-bikes are limited to 750 W (1 hp) and 20(?) mph unassisted top speed. "Pretending" to be an e-bike where you don't belong is going to piss off a lot of people and give e-bikes a bad rep they don't deserve. Don't do that.

Besides, there may be no advantage. Think about using an e-bike as it's meant to be used, as a real-world transportation and recreation device. With the variety of places only a bicycle can go and the stamina an e-bike can give you, you might find it becomes your preferred ride. You'll live longer not only because you're not jousting with cages, you're also in much better shape.

Trust me, this is nowhere near as unlikely as it sounds. Think about it.
    dman likes this.
  2. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does this mean we can look forward to hearing people claim... "Loud tires save lives!" ? :1drink
    Ibraz and FJ Fun like this.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    You mean like wearing a real helmet or the toy ones?
  4. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    I see them for sale second hand in this region for about $7,000 to $8,000 for a used one. That's a big cost that I will not risk. I hope it works, I hope the company is still around in 3 years. Honestly I doubt it will last.

Local clown who owns the Yamaha / Zero dealership was on the front page of the news paper saying everything with a gasoline engine will be in a museum in 10 years. Sounds like he was off his meds and in a manic state.
    Branchbuster and FJ Fun like this.
  5. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    So the industry of the future is going to be car museums. We are going to need many many thousands of them. The problem is that some politicians believe this bs.
    JCool likes this.
  6. Steve in Golden

Steve in Golden Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, if loud pipes save lives, then the louder the bike, the more lives saved. Therefore totally silent motorcycles could only result in many deaths.
    JCool likes this.
  7. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Regarding deer - I honestly believe it is a chance event. I have seen deer grazing along side a busy highway, so obviously the noise doesn't spook them. I have seen these same deer then suddenly dart into traffic and get squashed. I don't think noise, or the lack thereof, will have an impact on the number of deer strikes on motorcycles.

John
  8. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    The tire noise of an E-motorcycle is still plenty loud enough for a deer to hear.

Ask any bow hunter.

As far as the stupid Loud Pipes argument, I'll say this.
    I was sitting in my local bar (when I was younger) anyway this place became the local hang out for the "sons of silence". At the time I did not own a car so I was always on the bike and we actually got along really well.... back to the point....
    During a conversation about loud pipes I told one of the guys this 'I'll believe that you run loud piped to save your life when you wear a helmet, Jacket and gloves... those that are proven to actually save lives. Until then you just want loud pipes and that's ok, but don't claim it is for safety when you have no other gear on that is proven to actually help'.
    The guy I was talking to stopped for a moment then started to laugh and said fair enough.
    FJ Fun and JCool like this.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too am looking forward to my 1st Elec bike but not until the prices are more realistic. I've been riding scooters for many yrs already and enjoy the serenity that the quiet operation allows. I also own much louder bikes and enjoy them tremendously also but to just relax and enjoy a ride I'll pick one of my scooters every time.I long ago adapted to the" invisibility" that not only the quietness but also the size of the scooters seems to create.Distracted drivers aren't going away anytime soon and with all the new gadgetry incorporated into newer cars that supposedly now see and hear possible problems and automatically braking and steering ,Distracted driving will get more prominent.
    longslowdistance and TT RDHS like this.
  10. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If and when the first studies of e-bikes and accidents come out the finding would be skewed. The only people who are going to be riding E-bikes initially will be serious and experienced riders. That cuts out most of the new riders and once or twice a year riders that make motorcycle accident statistics look so bad.
  11. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry but are you serious or just trolling? Why would no-noise motorcycle be safer? I can't find any reason. You can hear the sirens before they take you out? You can hear the truck just before it hits you?
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why don't you loud pipes save lives advocates just tape your horn button down so it blows constantly. Just think how safe you would be then!
    red clay, CA Stu and ben sIII like this.
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Have you heard the horns on most motorcycles? Pathetic waste of money.
  14. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would experienced riders be more likely to ride electric? New riders might prefer the not having to change gear whilst the experienced riders would say.... In my day we changed gear ourselves that's not a real motorcycle
  15. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I am experienced and I want one. Now someone find me a rich lady to give me one.

But how do I take a 400 km trip in one day? I will ride carefully and politely being Canadian.
  16. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply because new riders have never even heard of Zero Motorcycles. It's a brand and bike really only known to enthusiast. I wasn't implying they would only appeal to experienced riders as if they were superior. I have no interest personally.
  17. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe on a quiet e-bike the rider hears a bit more of what's around = more aware of nearby dangers = safer?
    Maybe???

Works on a bicycle.
    Bar None likes this.
  18. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a louder horn on your bike like you put louder pipes on your bike.
    CRP6001 likes this.
  19. USSBelknap

USSBelknap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem here is dogs like to chase motorcycles. When I ride the CL350 they are waiting for me but when I ride the C70 they don't know I am there till I am passing them. Just another data point...
  20. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Serious-ly, have never been taken out by silent firetrucks, either.

Reasoning is a false logic defense. There are many phenomenas that can't be explained, such as why a multimeter would suddenly go berserk when placed within 5 feet of an HHO electrolyzer; or, why magnets can reduce gas consumption, as proven by the University patent now graveyard-ed by the Save The Earth Foundation.