Zero electric motorcycle owners: Fewer accidents, close calls, with silent running?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by EvrythingAwesom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

Correct! ... most, but not all, of the time.
  2. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Dog-gone it, why didn't I think of that? But, is this true? I didn't see any dogs in The Great Escape motorcycle chase.
  3. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

A rich lady could be more trouble than she's worth. Why not just "be a man" (sorry, Russell Peters), and spend $4K on a Lithium-battery eGrom or CBR?

There's a guy here, called Ben something who did 600 kms or maybe miles, daily, already.
    Shaolin and davenowherejones like this.
  4. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

I ride electric because my health is price-less. How much would you pay to live one day longer?

Will live 1.5 years longer riding electric, imo.

There's a policy-level book on this: Lives Per Gallon.
  5. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

On an ebike, I can smell cars' exhausts. Even individual houses/rest-a-rants.

I am avoiding COPD with my electrics, borrowed from friends.

Hint: They didn't pay $15K or even $8K. "Where there's a will, there's a way."
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Yep an extra 1.5 years in the nursing home with a shitty diaper. Or an extra 1.5 years in poverty because Sears Canada stole your pension and went broke.
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Place I worked switched from propane powered karts to electric. After a good number of collisions because people didn't hear them, mirrors were installed at all intersections and turns. Accident rates dropped after the mirror installations.

I also happen to know several people with electric cars. Pedestrians walking in front of them because they do not hear the electric car is a very frequently expressed lament.

So I really can't think of any reason a quiet electric motorcycle would be safer. Just quieter, which can be a wonderful experience in its own right.
    TT RDHS likes this.
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a scared deer.
    Per the EPA and NHTSA they will all come with a baseball card in the spokes beginning 2018.
    There will be a stop sale until this is implemented

[​IMG]
  9. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    So which is the best quiet eGrom in Canada?
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't understand the deer comment,

The notion of the likes of a card ticking against spokes isn't a particularly goofy notion, imo.

GM has an excellent answer, at least on the Volt. It's two horns, one is a pedestrian horn. The pedestrian horn switch is on the turn signal stalk. Push it and the car warbles. It's not startling or frightening, but it is attention getting. One of those simple but brilliant solutions.
    Shaolin likes this.
  11. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

There is a simple fix for any problem. Thanks for this. Nice to see someone in touch with their Inner Child.

Anybody wanna' make one for Tesla's and Leaf's?
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  12. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Take them for an uphill test ride. If the hub motor gets warm/hot, then it's not the "non-cogging" miracle hub motor/controller variant. Newest controllers are totally silent, known as "sine wave controllers".

An infrared thermometer is a good tool for this, so you can compare models/makes with precision.

After you buy one, take the panels off and spray or paint every connector with an electric contact cleaner or enhancer. And, every year, after that.

Also, use Liquid Tape over all weather-exposed connections.

The hub motor needs a tiny amount of oil on the axle regularly, when the bike is on a side-stand, so the oil goes into the motor/axle.
  13. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    The easy fix for that on an electric motorcycle is a bicycle bell. You'll probably even get a smile from the offending ped. This hasn't become a problem for me yet in my electric car, but if it does I'm thinking of a bicycle bell actuated by a solenoid, or maybe a cable.
    Shaolin likes this.
  14. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thought would be a back-up alarm like trucks use.
  15. Cottonwood Pass

Cottonwood Pass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a motocross/dirt bike E-bike thread?
  16. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple advantages provided by some of the common "scooter" types that have been studied (for accidents). The step-through type, like the Vespa and Yamaha Vino, etc., reduces leg injuries by not having any solid parts between your legs. During a side collision, this gap gives some room and time for the legs to avoid being squashed (the legs still get hit and rotated at the speed of the colliding vehicle, just not squashed).

The second safety advantage is the seat-high+ front fairing that comes up from the floorboards. Even without extra lights/reflectors sprinkled around it, it is easier to recognize and thus to understand the relative distances.

StoneAge Steve
  17. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Getting the mods on board may be hard. Looks to me that they are lumpers, not splitters.

Here is one electric moto forum:
    http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php

IMHO, advrider.com has far fewer kool-aid drinker, fight picking, dumbass opinionated posts, and many more thoughtful and helpful posts than other forums, so adv has the potential to be a better site for finding useful info about emotos, just like everything else moto related. Yo mods! Are you on board?
  18. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I would pay to live one day shorter if I could have more fun!!!
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't believe it makes any difference for most vehicles. You can't hear other vehicles from the inside of a car except for the obnoxious ones.

The old saying that loud pipes saves lives probably has some merit but only because wanting to be heard is childish and childish riders make stupid mistakes. The loud vehicles are usually the hazardous ones that need to be avoided.

Riding a quiet motorcycle you are more likely to hear problems coming sooner. Drivers in cars and trucks don't hear normally muffled motorcycles any more than electric ones because of road, wind, music, passengers, etc.

On the other hand, I remember almost getting run over by one of those sneaky eTaxis in "car-free" Zermatt because I didn't hear it coming.
  20. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for this option.
    Shaolin, burbansk and TT RDHS like this.