Zero electric motorcycle owners: Fewer accidents, close calls, with silent running?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by EvrythingAwesom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. burbansk

burbansk Exit 202 Mio Mad Man

Oddometer:
    Thats it...Pizza saves lives!
    mtnmaniac and scot_douglas like this.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Predicting what a deer will do is like training a house cat to bring your slippers,it will never happen. A deer may be scared in to the road by bike noise,or may stand and stare and pretend he will jump out in the road. Or take no notice. I had a Huge Bull jump in to the road i front of me in Baja,when the Idiot behind me started beeping his horn non stop to see what would happen.
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I do think road raging cagers might give thought to knocking really loud harleys off the road
  4. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, murder's OK with you?
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I didnt say that,but riders who enjoy blasting people's ears out can expect knee jerk reactions at times.
    Noise is one of biking's biggest enemies,those making the noise defend it for various reasons. Selfishness is the biggest reason.
  6. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Zero coming soon and I am concerned about using it for commuting because cagers won't hear me. This is slow and medium speed urban riding, with lots of lane changes. I'll give it a try but if it seems dicey, I just won't take the chance.
    I also wonder about collisions with wildlife out in the country. Does the moto noise provide some safety? Deer: probably not, they are just plain crazy. But other critters like Turkeys and bear may be less fearful and more likely to be in my path.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  7. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between my 2014 SR and my current 2016 SR I have about 36K miles on electric motorcycles. Can't say I have seen any difference at all in whether people or critters notice me compared to my ICE bikes. I have never tried any after market exhaust on either my 650 V-Strom or KTM 1290 SA. Neither is very loud with factory exhaust. I think relying on noise to keep you safe is pretty foolish. Same with additional lights and I have them on all my bikes. High viz gear, bright lights and loud pipes are not substitutes for maintaining situational awareness of the traffic and conditions around you as you ride.
    cecilturtle, Liko, Bar None and 4 others like this.
  8. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    Hope you're right.
    Maybe just me, but when I'm driving a car and I hear a moto behind me somewhere, I am more careful about changing lanes until I know where the moto is. The audible cue comes first.
  9. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    my music is so loud I never hear you
  10. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    LOL! I always assume that when I'm on two wheels! Or if not music, the ever present cell phone or other distraction.
  11. semper-guzzi

semper-guzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle riders are usually more aware and on the look out for other riders while driving. Just my experience and from other riders I know. It's those people who fail to realize motorcycles also exsist on the road. Those teenie boppers in their parents escalade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  12. codpilot

codpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW the Hurt report drew some observations that non-modified vehicles were generally involved in less accidents than modified vehicles. So from that you could say that quieter is better. You might also say that the modified vehicles attract a certain kind of rider vs the non-modified ones, so perhaps it's a more loud piped bikes are ridden by more aggressive/less skilled riders vs quiet bikes (think Goldwing) ridden by more experienced less aggressive riders.

Haven ridden loud and ridden quiet, I'll take quiet these days. Less road fatigue and a happier rider :)
    Bar None likes this.
  13. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow we all knew that this was going to fall into a debate about loud pipes saving lives ~ which is total crap. Their annoying to the people in the area as they fart on by, but bring nothing to the party in preventing accidents. And because there's a debate even within the motorcycle community about their effectiveness it clearly shows that they are only providing a false sense of security.

It is true that electric cars do have a minimum noise requirement, but it has nothing to do with preventing vehicle to vehicle accidents. It's designed to prevent the blind or pedestrians not paying attention from stepping out into an intersection ~ that's it. You don't need a lot of noise for that, just some.

Besides, does anyone really think that emergency vehicles have all those lights on them for the fun of it? Most have sirens and horns that are on par with a railroad train and yet they are still lit up like the National Christmas Tree, why you ask?, it's because noise alone (like loud pipes) is not enough.
    Bar None and Foot dragger like this.
  14. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And sometimes the quietness of the electric motorcycle allows you to hear vehicles approaching that you didn't notice visually.
  15. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

Have done lots of lane-splitting on gridlocked or slow traffic, curb jumping to avoid traffic, and riding in parks.

I attached Bucha-effect DIY headlamps .. $40 total cost with 18650 batteries. Posted this info before.

Happy riding, don't worry, Law of Atraction be happy.
  16. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a friend who was riding dirt bikes with 3 or 4 mates on a retired rail line. Berms on both side, tracks gone, so fun riding.

A deer jumped the berm and took out my friend; they were 45 miles out. No cell access. He almost died there. But didn't... and it completely mucked up his planned coast to coast ride.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    If you are depending on noise to save you in traffic instead of assuming every single cager wants to kill you................all is lost before you start. All kinds of animals jump out in the road when Im on my bicycle out in the country,they do when Im on a motorcycle as well. Its luck of the draw.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive seen this to be true on many forums I go on,riders who are new to the whole bike riding thing tend to be the strongest proponents of the loudest pipe they can get ahold of.
    I would even say for some of them,if they couldnt make the blasting noise they might lose interest in the occasional ride. Lots of Harley riders despite their huge bike and shiny bling,are new to the sport. All they have known is that every Harley rider has either no mufflers or very minimal.
    And its very important to do as the herd does. "Some" Motorcyclists have been their own worst enemy for years.
    Bar None and codpilot like this.
  19. sstahler

sstahler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had decades of bikes and have had a Zero DSR for more than a year. I notice absolutely no difference in how cars and people react to this bike vs ICE bikes. People are either paying attention or not, i.e. talking on the phone, blasting car stereo. I hear the question a lot but don't think about it at all as it is a non-issue for me.
    red clay, cecilturtle and Bar None like this.
  20. Liko

Liko Got probe?

Oddometer:
    People hear noise. That doesn't mean they do anything with that data. I kept my motorcycles quiet. I'll deal with cars and whatever as I get to them. I prefer to be invisible and work through traffic accordingly traveling 5mph faster than the flow.

As for lights, too many is too many. When riding late in Mexico I'd light up like a UFO. But, once in town I'd go back to the regular lighting. People don't understand too many lights or can object fix. Don't try too hard.

As for animals ... they do weird things.

Loud pipes made people react, if even only in their minds, unkindly. I don't want people thinking about me until they are in my mirrors.
    red clay and sstahler like this.