Zero Motorcycles (UPS just delivered)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by potatoho, Jul 7, 2008.

1. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    I got my Kenda Trakmaster II 70/100-19 yesterday. What a cool little tire. It's a 2.75" rear, looks just like a mini version of the ones for big bikes. It measures 24.75" outside diameter. So I think a 19" rim will be good if I run up to 4" (100/90) and keep me under 26" diameter.
  2. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Almost done with my 19" rear wheel. I am short two spoke nipples so that's the hold up until I get them in the mail. This sun rim seems pretty slick.

Today I was playing in the yard with my skateboard ramp. Look at how I almost loop the landing on the 2nd one LOL. It's fun to play them back in slow motion and watch the suspension.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fx02SiZy9Xc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  3. skyclark

skyclark Prince of Space

Oddometer:
    Its cool to see it in action. Do you have any more vids? I would like to see the bike handling some tricky bit single track or something that shows off its strengths.
  4. potatoho

Oddometer:
    I will try to make some.

I just finished my 19" wheel tonight so I will be able to run the Kenda knobby and try it out on sand. I'm awaiting a new fork set I snagged off ebay for under $200. No particular reason, I just thought it might work better and because it has adjustable compression damping.

In a way the mountain bike forks are kinda neat because you put air in the bottom to keep them from bottoming out. However they seem pretty high maintenance in comparison to jumbo motorcycle forks.

I've moved the gearing back to somewhat tall. 45 mph is really too slow to go on any streets. I'm at 5.33 final drive ratio now. 5.71 is a bit quicker except that it tops out at 45.
  5. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey! I finally got my '09 Zero X! I'll get some pic's and maybe a video up soon, it rides nicely and feels very powerful. Tim to revive this thread..
  6. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Cool. I haven't been riding much, except around the house. Ha ha, last weekend I was doing a wheelie in the front yard and looped it, fell right on my ass :D Have to get used to the LHRB.

Glad you waited for the 2009. I don't have any issues with the 1/2" pitch chain, as I did with the #35.

I have a hybrid e-mtb bicycle coming in a couple of months. I'm going to try to get some exercise.
  7. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    How much rotating mass are you adding by using a motorcycle tire? Have you weighed the Trackmaster vs the Hutchinson? It seems the 26" mtb tire setup would be the way to go for performance and tire selection. Oh, and you probably should be running higher pressures (at least 50 psi minimum from my mtb experience) in mtb tires for the weight of that bike in order for it to feel right.
  8. skyclark

skyclark Prince of Space

Oddometer:
    Congratulations man. Give us a full review.
  9. potatoho

Oddometer:
    It's a huge difference on the scale. Motorcycle tires of this size are at least 5 lb (well maybe a 110 size, mine is 70), plus the sun rim is quite a lot heavier. Surprisingly I haven't noticed a difference on the Zero with my heavy rear wheel, presumably because there is a lot of power in the motor.

I've been chatting with the e-mtb builder and they just finished comparing wheels. They had been using 19" rims with Michelin motorcycle tires. In the last round of testing, they found that 24" (20" rim) bicycle tires made a huge improvement in handling and acceleration. The e-mtb is a 3kW hub motor (approx 4 HP). Also, they have tested many 26" wheel builds and they don't hold up well to the weight like a 24" :cry
  10. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where did you get that roll ring Potato? So far I just don't like the noise the chain makes gliding along the guides. We had some damn snow fall, so I cannot get any traction anywhere.. The bike has some serious "get up and go" thats for sure.. I'll have to get a trailtech computer on here to see how the range is. The longest I rode it was all around the neighborhood and then about 3 or 4 miles to my parents house and back in the snow and The charge never left the max green. So I really dont know what kind of range it will get.

I got it with the White Brothers front end and the perm motor.

There is a little slop on the throttle, I may poke around there and tighten the slack up on the pot.
  11. potatoho

Oddometer:
    The large roll-ring is best, though I don't run one any more. Actually PM me your address and I will send it to you since it doesn't fit my system any more with the large sprockets, and I kinda f'd it up one time.

Take a look at the Cycle Analyst for a computer. It is standard on my e-mtb and I'm thinking about getting one for the Zero to keep track of everything.

I thought the 2009 came with a dash?
  12. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Spires, your pic went away :cry unless it is yet another thing this Mac won't do LOL.
  14. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i see the pics... doh!
  15. potatoho

Oddometer:
    I see them now :clap
  16. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Don't kill yourself. Test the throttle out on the bench with an analog multimeter. It's a delicate operation to zero the throttle. Be sure to leave at least a small amount of overtravel to the zero side, but not 5 degrees like mine was. Once you install it back onto the bike, always have the bike up on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground.
  17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    There's a very nice writeup on Zero Motorcycles in the January, 2009 issue of BIKE magazine. Irony: A Brit magazine is the first to do a full test of an American motorcycle.:lol3
  18. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    I'm finding this thread very interesting. Thanks for posting, guys, and keep it coming. I'd probably never get one because it won't open any new riding areas to me and doesn't have enough range to connect the trails, but it's still very interesting technology.
  19. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One thing is for sure, I am going to need to chang the front tire to something with tread. THe mild enduro tire keeps drifting or washing out all over the place.
  20. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Is that still using a bicycle 24" front wheel?