Zero Motorcycles (UPS just delivered)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by potatoho, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yea still the 24" bicycle tire. Trying to find the best knobby gripping dirt/mud tire I can find.. something to match a regular maxxis IT type.

OH! Got your roll ring in the mail thanks a ton!
  2. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle tires are pretty heavy, and make it steer weird. Plus I didn't feel secure with a 20" motorcycle tire on the MTB rim. The bead doesn't sit quite well. Probably best to stick with MTB tires.

My new bike will also have 24" MTB wheels. I will try a few different tires on it. I have some 2.3" wide mud tires that just came in, not sure if I will like them. Pretty skinny and hard, but I ordered them a long time ago and they were backordered.
  3. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. potatoho

Oddometer:
    The ones which just arrived yesterday are the arrow mud x. Pretty pointy looking tire, but only 2.3" wide. Also seem pretty hard. The duro wildlife which was stock on mine are actually decent tires. I do prefer the hutchinson octopus 2.8" wide but it only comes in 26" size.
  5. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Spires can you measure the bolt center distance on your rear sprocket. I understand that this might be backwards compatible but I'm not sure if it would need an adapter.
  6. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    center to the top of a tooth?
  7. potatoho

Oddometer:
    No just between two bolt centers, directly across. Just approximate, using calipers or whatever is convenient. I mean, don't take anything apart for me, I'm just curious. I will wind up asking Zero about compatibility.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its 3" across Potato.. on that Rear sprocket.
  9. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. That's not even close to the 2008. So there must be an adapter of some kind to upgrade.
  10. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put on a new Manitou Swinger-SFS X6 @ 10.5 with 3.5" travel.. OH man! What a cushy difference with a nice height adjustment. The Chain had plenty of adjustment in it for the travel. All I had to do was adjust the top chain guide and voila'! All the adjustments on the shock are right on the unit with easy spin-click dials. I even loaded up with the wife on the bike and it was still lovely and cushy! Now I dont have to lift the bike to get my bike stand under it, its an easy 2inch diff in height so now I just slide the bike stand under it and lift it MUCH easier with the better leverage.
    The chain did rub a little on the bottom of the pan where the motor sits when the shock was fully extended, but I just ground out a pinch off the bottom of the frame where the skid plate is so it glides right thru it. Cake! They really should offer rear shock upgrades and make that part of the frame notched for the chain travel.
  11. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwLOE-7r8QQ

Got a Youtube vid up of a ride after work.. Not a lot there, but can see me messing around on the bike hehe..

I'll get more up here soon.. There was a guy at my work who got on it and did some absolutely amazing things!

He is going to help me make a kick ass Video.
  12. guiri

guiri Guest

There's one thing I'm curious about. Why are you guys buying the electrical bike? Novelty/curiosity?

George
  13. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Spires did you enter your video into their contest? They are giving a battery pack each month to the best video.

George, for me it is novelty/curiosity. If I'd had this as a kid up in Maryland it would be heaven. I used to ride my 72cc bike everywhere LOL. In my area now, I need more range or a park or something. It's still fun to play with because you can just hop on flip a switch and tear it up.
  14. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted it to take camping.. We go camping all over around Oregon and Washington and eventually California or whever we like as we get more and more time off. Last time we were down in Florence Oregon where the sand dunes were, we rented buggies, but the dirt bikes looked fun too and we just could not pack my crf with us. There is no way to mount a hitch on the back of our trailer without fabricating something.. It looked like it would cost thousands to do it anyways. This bike we can just pop the battery out, wash it up and put it inside to pack anywhere!. I can even put it in the basement of the trailer with the handlebars dismounted! Now we can scoot around campgrounds and trails for as long as the battery lasts and quick charge it on my 240V generator in just over an hour! I made an adaptor to use it on 240.
    I love the bike! comparing it to my '07 CRF it is 100lbs lighter, more powerful and WAY more torquey. I just feel like it is riding a kick ass MX bicycle. It gets me 20-25miles of VERY harsh riding in some deep nasty mud. I still dont know the range when trail riding in technical stuff, I have yet to run it out. Starting to look like around 30-35 miles around the trails here.
  15. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Potato, did you measure the front tire out? I was going to compare what you got for size to what I got. I am going to calibrate the speedo today and wanted as acurate a number as I could get. I may just chalk the tire and move it along the garage floor to measure. I am still messing around with the tire inflation too.
  16. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Definitely chalk it out. My speedo takes a custom size, so that's what I do. My original 24" bicycle front was 25.5" in outside diameter.
  17. potatoho

Oddometer:
    :ricky
    <object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4OjL2pk7B4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  18. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Was waiting for you to wheelie into the mailbox....:rofl
  20. guiri

guiri Guest

Cool, that answers my questions. I'm intrigued by them or rather, by the fact that we finally have the technology to do this and I'm also thinking about the Tesla sports car. About damn time.

How much are these little gadgets that you buy just out of curiosity? Can't be that cheap, right?

tater ho, I'm thinking if you fuck that mailbox up with the bike, the battery is yours. I don't see you doin' much damage to yourself or the bike so I say go for it :)

Spires, where did you shoot that video? That's some gorgeous country there.

George