Zero Motorcycles (UPS just delivered)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by potatoho, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was filmed in Wa. state up near the coast. Port Angeles if you looked on the map.
  2. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey potatoho, got an email from the Zero PR dept saying they are setting up
    a 24hr endurance event. You going? Need an extra rider?:ricky :freaky

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/electricross/
    ---
    Hello,

We are out to set a world record by hosting the first electric off road 24-hour endurance event. Zero Motorcycles’ 24 Hours of Electricross will be open to anyone with an electric motorcycle, quad, or ATV. In conjunction with our sponsors, we will provide free entry as well as food and access to all necessary facilities. Prizes will also be awarded.

To mark the significance of this event, Zero Motorcycles will be making a special effort to give enthusiasts a chance to be a part of making history. If you are interested in participating and do not yet own a Zero, give us a call.

Our motorcycles are now officially eligible for federal tax credits and deductions that will significantly reduce the final cost of purchase. Thank you to those who responded to our last email, you made a difference. For more information click here.

Also, check out January’s video contest winner here.
  3. guiri

guiri Guest

Thanks Spires.

Guys, let us know if any of you win the battery :)
  4. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Long time since, my last post, my project as change a lot and of lot of thing as been made. The motocross will be ready to run in about a month or so.
    I give you this link if you want to see this project:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8622

Spires a like to know your top speed with your new Zero x 2009 and the maximum range you can get, because a really to compare this motorcycle with mine.

Good day's guys and have fun!
    Bikeraider

5. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool! I like your new Agni motor.

A #40 chain kinda sucks as it seems sloppy and uneven. Pretty cheap though. I like the idea of the 428 or 420 better. Zero is sending me a 2008 to 2009 final drive (sprockets & chain) upgrade for free.

My stealth bike should be shipping soon.
  6. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Potatoho,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks, I like my Agni motor and I'm impatient to ride with. Well I didn’t know for the chain #40 last year I was using a chain #35 without any problems but this chain is bit tiny for this application. <o:p></o:p>
    Its really cool for stealth bike did you has a delivery date for it? Also I don't remember the top speed of your Zero X is 55 Mph or Higher? I think that Zero X as a great services as I can see!<o:p></o:p>
    Good day and take care my friend!<o:p></o:p>
    Bikeraider<o:p></o:p>
  7. potatoho

Oddometer:
    My zero is about 43 mph top speed with 80/14 gearing, though if I run street pressures it is perhaps +2 mph. With the stock ratio it was faster than 50 mph but I prefer the better response versus speed on that platform.

My stealth bike was delayed because some new options were available and it takes some time to get them. I opted for the white brothers groove 200 forks rather than the RST, and also John has finished testing out some new hub motor configuration and he says it was very successful for a power improvement.
  8. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Potataho,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Ok thanks, than normally a zero as top speed between 50 to 55 Mph/h if I'm right. I think is about right to think that I have about 57 Mph top speed, at 67 volt and 60 amps with the Agni. <o:p></o:p>
    I set my Alltrax controller, with a progressive cure, 15/15 up/down throttle rate and the output current is set at 350 amps (77 %) for testing.<o:p></o:p>
    White brothers forks seem really great, I think is wise choice for your Stealth bike, I hope you can send picture here when you got it! :wink: <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers<o:p></o:p>
  9. potatoho

Oddometer:
    I'll make a separate thread for it when I get it. It shouldn't be but a couple of weeks I expect.

The progressive curve is good. Set the power for what you think will not blow up the motor and still gives good wheelie power. I have used the same method that zero uses to tame the throttle (a 0-5k ohm throttle), which is a small capacitor across the throttle. Stock was 100uF, but I use a switch and toggle between a 47uF and a 330uF.

The 47uF takes a bit of the shock out of the response but it still allows great acceleration along with good steady-state (no twitching) near full throttle. The 330uF gives a very sluggish acceleration but good for cruising.
  10. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stock '09 Zero gets about 41mph out of the box with 15t front sprocket. I still really don't know the range of the Zero. The trails around here are slow and technical, so you spend what seems like a lot of time on the trail, but only going about 8 to 10 miles. There are a lot of trails in the area, some going hundreds of miles, but the snow level is still pretty low, so I cannot take it out to those yet. So far this is the range I have estimated.. Nasty and muddy terrain looks to be about 15 to 20miles with a lot of work and time to get through them. Fire access roads and easy riding, good speed trails I will probably get closer to 30miles. I can already see the difference when I'm packing a lot of gear and water though. I put my friend on it sometimes while I ride my KTM (he weighs 233lbs without gear) and we still get some good hard 15 miles without going down to the last green.
    Wish some battery Guru would come out and make an aftermarket Zero battery that is cheaper heheh.. I keep losing that battery competition they hold. I just don't want to get in front of a camera and talk.
  11. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Don't forget also that Spires has the pmg-132 motor :D
  12. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Spires</st1:place>,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Well I'm not a guru of Lithium batteries but at 67 Volt 60 Amps my batteries pack weight about 65 pounds, and Zero x 58.8 Volt 60 amps pack should weight around 75 lbs, it just for kidding but is fun to compare between them tanks for those clues. KTM are really nice motocross and for me is the best of the best no doubt about that.<o:p></o:p>
    Hi Potataho,<o:p></o:p>
    A <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Perm</st1:place></st1:City> 132 is great motor but it can't handle 400 amps like the Agni 95 Reinforced motor (Around 6000 RPM at 84 Volt) did for 2 minutes at 93 % of efficency. Well at 67 Volt and 350 amps= 23450 watts /746 = around 30 HP, then I need to keep the handle! :D <o:p></o:p>
    Good evening guys!<o:p></o:p>
  13. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Spires

Spires Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Spires, excellent video. Yeah the Zero Motorcycles support has been tops. Just received a free final drive upgrade for my 2008; front/rear sprockets, 420 chain, and even a motion pro chain breaker.

Bikeraider, thanks. I have been following that thread also.
  16. potatoho

Oddometer:
  17. Rich Dubbya

Rich Dubbya Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer:
    A 60 mile range and 60mph top speed ? It's like paying 10Gs to get yourself stranded . I can get the same performance with a pre 99 Ural. :roflThat includes the getting stranded part.
  18. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Preaching to the choir.. you've got to always have an exit plan, plenty of water, and comfortable shoes :lol3
  19. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rich,

Just for fun, remove you tranny, put a gear of your choice (any one) directly on your Pre Ural ICE motor and connected it to your rear sprocket like the Zero S and now try going to go at 60 Mph just for fun, with this simple transmission. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also give me the same energy density as you have gas tank pound for pound for this battery pack and I smoke you any time in term of power and long range, with a lighter motorcycle! :rofl
    <o:p></o:p>
  20. bikeraider

bikeraider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spires,

Really nice video, cool to see the motorcycle in action!

Good day!
    Bikeraider