Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This post has been edited.

Zero Motorcycles. The largest electric motorcycle manufacturer, and probably the best.
    My original question was about prices in Europe as a result of US tax war but all discussions are welcome.

If you need information for old models, and maintenance, take a look at the Unofficial Zero Manual page https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Main_Page The page was created by an enthusiast and is not connected to the manufacturer.
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    lol

we all lose in this game.
    roookie1 likes this.
  3. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently Zero motorcycles may go through these taxe increases because electric/ecologic.

https://moto-station.com/moto-revue...ricaines-stabilite-temporaire-des-prix/394721

According to the european manager of Zero Motorcycles

4. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the link says Zero will not be subject to the new tariffs, but the source was off the record.
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it looks like that.. author of the article use conditionnal, and it is not a public statement from Zero or some EU official .
  6. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andrew,

Thanks for posting the link. Had not heard of reddit.com
  8. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took one for a 3 hr test drive and it was the MOST FUN I HAVE HAD on a motorbike PERIOD....

... apart that is from the pedestrians not hearing and waking out while texting lol

Amaxing machine!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    joker-b and WagonWillie like this.
  10. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Everyone who borrows my Zero comes back smiling if not laughing out loud with joy. Zero has caught lightning in a bottle.

But now that I've owned one for 9 months and ridden it in all conditions in the mountains, city, and flatlands, I'm a tad disappointed that Zero has neglected some functionality that could elevate their motos from super fun commuter/toy to truly great: traction control mainly to manage that huge torque at zero rpm plus no flywheel or other hindrance to wheel spin, and also cruise control, more aero with fairing and windshield (=more range), lower COG factory high current charging options, optional more upright rider position, and more.

Zero surely is hearing this feedback, as it's all over on the emoto forum and elsewhere. Curious that these customer requests have been ignored. In January we will know what the HD livewire will offer in comparison. HD could eat Zero's lunch if their price is competitive (acknowledging that no serious emoto price is competitive) and Zero doesn't step up.

Hoping that competition benefits the consumer.
    UPNOVRIT, _mtg_, Monkeyshines and 2 others like this.
  11. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    I went out and bought a real dual sport bike, an Africa twin and it's the second most fun!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
  12. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is pretty much tantamount to declaring on a laser forum -- hey i just bought a halogen light, it's the second most bright[​IMG]
    Hittman likes this.
  13. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Zero FX ZF7.2 looks pretty sweet. I am currently in the market for a ~$10,000 plated dirtbike.

46 hp

78 ft-lb

289 lb

This might be something I could get behind...

I live on the wrong coast though...
  14. King of Beers

Oddometer:

Nevermind... Just saw a couple of rider reviews... Sounds like this thing is really not up to the task of being a dirtike. Maybe one day...
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ride one to get my own perspective. Might be the most awesome short range dualsport ever!
    But doesn't seem like its a replacement for a dirtbike.
    King of Beers likes this.
  16. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting a DSR.. just for commuting.. and maybe a little off road trails. I'm not expecting much for off road but it will be a free bike for me. Its costing me as much as the gas I'm saving. We'll see how well it does commuting. My work has a couple charging stations already.
  17. King of Beers

Oddometer:
    Hell, I'd ride the s#it out of one of those for the free! Looks like a blast!

How are you getting such a cool hook-up? Work?

I'm really excited about the future of electric bikes. With a little ingenuity, due to the modular nature of the electric components, it may be possible to mod a current electric bike into something that rivals the performance of future electrics, in the future... If that makes any sense... I keep re-reading it and I'm not sure it does... Upgradeable is what I'm saying...
  18. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles do you have to drive to save $10K in fuel?
    Tubulchain likes this.
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting it used.. so $8K. and it will amortize itself in a little over one year... However, it's money toward a the bike vs. throwing away to the gas station. Then you have to consider the resale value of the bike. So far less than one year. Probably closer to 6 mos. depending on the resale value.

Ya, pretty sweet.. huh? I asked them a few years back about putting in charging stations when I was thinking of getting a Nissan Leaf or a Fiat E500. It was an emphatic NO! Then about a year ago, 2 charging stations just showed up in our parking lot. SCORE!
    King of Beers likes this.
  20. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    How many years are left on the battery warranty and how much will be the bike be worth when its dead?
    PAULIBIKER likes this.