Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which bike were you on?

V Strom 650 or 1000?
    semper-guzzi likes this.
  2. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    V Strom but he forgot to put gas in it so he had to push for the last 100 feet
    Todd157k likes this.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha.. the winning bike! Zero DSR!!!

I don't know if it was the 650 or 1000 since he couldn't stay next to me long enough for me to see. :rofl
    Davethestick likes this.
  4. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any Zero owners with the 7.2 battery here? What kind of range are you getting?

When I think about the things I dislike about my Ducati, they’re all addressed by a Zero S or FXS.

Only hesitation is the range. If I go with the 14.4, I lose the handy storage and gain a bunch of weight, which is going to make it less fun.
  5. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Cactus67 likes this.
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    That said, I love my FX. I ride it most days and enjoy it every time.

It doesn't like going fast for long periods of time like on the highway, but it is a blast to zip around a town or tear down a dirt road.

I also have a DSR+Power Tank on order. It's 174 lbs heavier than the FX, but has 10.8 Kw more battery as well. I'm hoping it will get me 100-120 miles of range.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought one of the "Bullet Brake" gizmos. It will lock the front brake when parked. By replacing the banjo bolt on the front brake line (hydraulic brakes only) you pull the lever, push the plunger, and it locks. The minute you pull the lever again, it unlocks. So if you've got an electric bike, and are tired of it rolling away from you, it's thing to have. I should have it in a couple days however I've talked to them about getting a "group buy" on it. Looks like I can put it together for a minimum of 20. They don't all have to be the same so once I get the "go ahead", I'll post it up in the Vendors section. At a group buy of 20, the cost will be $77.95/ea instead of the retail $119.95. Since they don't want to deal with the "who gets what and shipped where", I'll be making one order and sending them out myself.. so figure on adding 3 or 4 bucks for shipping. I'll also be getting a second one for my 701.. which has the same Run-away tendencies.
    BB-01_Silver_Complete.jpeg BB-01_Black_Complete.jpeg

Pretty simple install

Krono and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  8. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    davide and Todd157k like this.
  9. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Gotta go pretty slow to get 70 miles.
  10. franobank

franobank n00b

Oddometer:
    I cant wait until batteries on electric bikes are finally up to par with gas bikes. My gas bike gets only a little above 210km before the gauge starts flashing, and that is with very moderate riding.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    If they could get 150 (real) miles with a 5 minute recharge, I bet a lot of people would switch.
  12. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet everyone would switch.
  13. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of being that guy who predicts the next big battery revolution is "just around the corner," be aware that what you're asking for is closer than you might think.

Real, usable EVs started picking up steam in the '90s with the GM EV1, which started out with lead-acid batteries. It was impressive. It got more impressive when it got large-format NiMH batteries. It was joined by the Honda EV+ using similar batteries. (The Honda was arguably the better engineering achievement, but the EV1 was a sports car so it got all the press.) Those large-format NiMH were the first batteries designed specifically for modern EV traction applications. They were so promising, the patent was quickly purchased by Texaco-Ovonics - specifically to park the patent and keep the batteries off the market to delay the development of EVs, which were (and still are) seen as a threat to the oil industry. If you believe that sounds like a wacko conspiracy theory, search on "Texaco-Ovonics patent encumbrance." You'll get plenty of credible hits.

The resurgence of EVs came with the adaptation of lithium batteries from laptops - a challenging adaptation at best. Pouch batteries are a bit better than cylindrical, but still far from an ideal solution. There have been no revolutionary leaps, but they have been evolving their way to better and better performance at a stunning rate. But they still have some serious issues.

Enter solid-state lithium batteries, which all the big players - commercial, government and academic - are working on. Fisker is promising a car to be released in 2023 that uses them. If they deliver, give the industry another few years to get the tech better established so we know what we can bank on. Performance will be substantially better, but more importantly, all of the challenges today's batteries have will be eliminated or dramatically improved. Electrode stability, which means MUCH longer life. Fast recharge capability, which means batteries will no longer be the gating issue - infrastructure will be. No more fire hazard. No more cobalt. The BMS circuitry can be much simpler and be part of the cell construction, so it's almost free. Much cheaper. Much lighter. Much more power and capacity.

So yeah, I've been hearing the whole "just around the corner" schpiel literally for decades, and I know how damaging it can be for the credibility of EVs.

This time it's real.

Never before has there been so much scientific and financial horsepower applied to batteries for traction applications. It's about to pay off, and this time it won't be stopped. Four to eight years may seem like an eternity when we all want our progress now, but ten years from now we'll be looking back at today and thinking about how quaint, old-fashioned and severely limited our EV batteries were.

I can hardly wait. I'm young enough that I'll still have many years of riding and driving left, and old enough that 10 years seems like a heartbeat.
  14. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eh in some segments its about the same. For example:

My DRZ 400 - I get 60 miles to a tank no matter what. It weighs ~330lbs, has lets say 46hp with the fcr carb and pipe and a whole ~28ft-lb of torque.
    My Zero FX - I get 55-60 miles on a charge, more if I go slow. It weighs 289lbs, has 46hp and 78 ft-lb of torque (feels wayyyyy faster).

The big difference would be the DRZ can be re-fueled in a couple minutes and the Zero takes 10 hours stock, and can charge at the maximum rate in 1 hour.

Most of the road bikes I've had get 100 - 130 miles to a tank which is what the bigger Zeros get anyway. I think proper fast charging is where its at.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  15. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Really? Had no idea the DRZ's got so little.
  16. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I do have a reserve on top of that. My speedo is GPS calibrated, so no erroring on the high side and the FCR carb and MRD exhaust brings down mileage a bit, but worth it.
  17. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I have yet to see dyno sheet for a DRZ that is putting down 46HP without hotter cams and a big bore. The stock engine is 34HP at the crank.

Without the FCR, my DRZ averages 50.3 mpg over the last 48 fill ups, per my Fuelly log.
  18. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a nice conspiracy theory. "in the early 1990s, the auto industry created the US Auto Battery Consortium (USABC) to stifle the development of electric vehicle technology by preventing the dissemination of knowledge about Ovshinky's battery-related patents to the public " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_encumbrance_of_large_automotive_NiMH_batteries

There are few issues with it. Patents are publicly available (why does no article about this mention the patent numbers). The details you are protecting have to be on the patent. A patent lasts for 20 years (anything patented in the 90s is free information today, so why is this superior technology not being made now). You need separate patent for each country (the Chinese don't follow US patent law, so why did China not make them, even if only for use inside China).
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    The main problem with conspiracy theories like this is that they extensively refer to the future, and when the future appears decades later, everyone has forgotten to check and moved on to the next conspiracy.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  20. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the 46 was a stab in the dark, I get around 44-45mpg. Wish it was better but it is what it is.