Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that makes sense.
  2. Lidja

Lidja --- Supporter

Oddometer:
    A generator inside a trailer is always a bad idea—it’s usually loaded into the truck bed of the tow vehicle or in an exterior storage space on the trailer.
  3. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Another thing I don't understand - a car is already a generator. Just put a small power converter in it.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most car alternators are less than 150w. At 12v, that's only about 10 amps max 12v.. with the engine 'off idle'. At idle, it's about 1/2 that. To use an inverter to 110v ac you're looking at a couple amps. So, you'll be running a whole engine for a very long time to charge very little. Most of the current generators, like the Honda EV, are 'inverter' type generators and will run all day with about a gallon of gas and at 2000w, is putting out near 18 amps.
  5. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I dunno, my Jeep's stock alternator is rated at 160 amp, which at 13 v produces 2000 watt. Are you sure you are not confusing watts and amperes?
  6. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    oops.. ya, sorry. Was writing that from the Dr. office yesterday. I really should take my meds BEFORE reading chit.
    None the less, even though I confused the issue, your car still has to be off idle to get up that current. Much cheaper to run a genny all day.
  7. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also if your near a campsite, 50 amp 220 service can charge an EV bike pretty quickly.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  8. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    How is it cheaper? Car engines are usually more efficient than generator's, so same amount of gasoline will produce more electricity, or same amount of electricity will be produced with less gasoline. The ECU will send more gasoline to the engine when electric load goes up.
  9. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    cuz running one small cylinder is far less than running 6 or 8 large cylinders. :y0!
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  10. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.

The pumping losses alone to idle a car engine are more than what a small single cylinder engine uses at full power, especially one like the 100cc Honda inverter generator.
  11. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was a guy running a Zero FXS at the track and charging on a gas generator, after all was said and done he still got 60mpg.
    Vegas800XC, wheresbaoskee and Lutz like this.
  12. futureborder

futureborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are definitely not. Not even half as efficient. The efficiency numbers typically given for modern car engines are only at max power, with the throttle fully open. In ordinary daily use you may get between 10% and 15% efficiency out of a normal gasoline engine. A generator engine that is 100% optimized for a super narrow RPM and load range can easily get 30-40%.
  13. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    See figure 1: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/04/f15/10097517.pdf
  14. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
  15. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monkeyshines and Vegas800XC like this.
  16. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gonna need DOT reflectors on those outboard side panniers -- BMW got caught with that and it wasn't pretty.
  17. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder RYD

Oddometer:
    I was suggesting and requesting full fairing (or at least improved air management) the whole time I worked at Zero.
    Took them awhile but hopefully they will "get it" and make it.
    I'd also suggested a SM (supermoto) version of the FX back then.
    elmontanero and Andrew like this.
  18. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    m0t0-ryder: I'm glad to hear that there are people pushing the management at Zero for those kinds of upgrades. I'm sure that they have a full plate already, but better aerodynamics offers many benefits and I'm glad to see that they appear to be working on it. I love my SR and it's actually pretty smooth to ride because I'm in clean air most of the time. I moved the mirrors down to the bar ends and that helped quite a bit. I just wish that it had the IMU of the SR/F because all that "instant" torque does try and bite you occasionally. I haven't ever put it down, but I respect it a lot especially on cold tires.
  19. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the SR/F's custom mode would allow for Sport mode with full regen braking?
  20. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will.

That said, it doesn't make a lot of difference in stopping power nor battery consumption.