Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol :)
  2. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it's a hybrid Honda now?
    Rokoneer likes this.
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  4. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Crack dealers :)

That's probably a good way to sell them. Let them go 11 mph around the track so they don't see any of the issues with the bikes :)
  5. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Those FX bikes will wheelie, no doubt.
  7. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanna go play! It could be dangerous though, as I may just say right there

"Shut up and take my money!"
  8. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    MC Commute on SR/F

Some wrong info, but mostly accurate. The big one is when he said that you can buy more power, you can't. You can buy more onboard battery extending the range (which stock is 65-75 miles if you get near highway speeds) but that all that added weight up high screws up the handling, at least it did on my DSR when I added the Power Tank.

And listening to this dude makes me miss Zack.
    Vegas800XC and voltsxamps like this.
  9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    1000% battery capacity?! Wouldn’t that be nice lol

Inaccuracies aside, it’s good to see the SR/F get some media time and exposed to the moto world. Every review helps generate awareness and that is good as I would like to see continued success for Zero as one of the pioneers in EM’s who have found the sweet spot in range, price, looks, performance, durability, recharge speed, variety, quality, availability, and profitability.

Would love to see a head to head comparison between the SR/F and the SS9 Ribelle. Bikes like these are checking all the right boxes. One will always wish for even lower pricing, but factoring in cost of ownership helps to offset the initial buy in. I just spent $1400 for my most recent service with an average of $1800 in maintenance a year. I could save roughly $9000 on maintenance alone compared to an SR/F in a five year period. That’s equivalent to a 600 sport bike’s price range. With TCO justified, it comes down to choosing which type of bike you like more and I think that the SR/F, and the SR or S for that matter, are fine bikes. Kudos to the staff at Zero for making these bikes a reality.
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  10. blackSP

blackSP 62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer:
    Haha, so in 5 years you save 5*9000/yr = $45,000, that is awesome! But of course you mean 9000/5 is 1800 a year which is still a lot assuming that tires, brakes, brake fluid stays the same and you ignore cost of electricity.

BTW, I'm selling my 114 FatBob this winter. Want a Zero DSR instead. Save the planet!
    voltsxamps and Jarrett2 like this.
  11. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    $9000 in maintenance a year? What in the world are you riding, and how many miles per year?

I could buy, upgrade, and maintain 2, perhaps even 3 bikes identical to my current KLR per year for that kind of money. (In fairness my initial purchase price was abnormally low due to getting it from a good friend).

Just re-read @blackSP's breakdown. $9000/5years makes a lot more sense, lol.

Even at $1800/year that's a little over half (approximately) what I've spent on my bike, including purchase, over the last 4 years.
  12. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    My current Suzuki GSX has cost me less than 9000 in the 5 years I've had it. Total cost, including the purchase price of a (then) new bike, fuel and insurance. Electric still has a lot of catching up to do. Granted, I do maintain it myself. I'm not paying a dealer to have a PFY working on my bike. What sort of bike do you have to pay this amount for maintenance?
  13. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    $9000/yr was clearly an editing error. It's $1800/yr, $9000 for 5 years.

Every bike I've purchased new has never seen the dealer again. I do all my maintenance. Does that mean my maintenance costs are just the costs of the parts? Hell no! I do get the assurance I'm not paying dealer labor rates to have some trainee learn the ropes at my expense, but do I like doing my own maintenance? Hell no! I have better things to do. So if you're talking about dollar costs, you are conveniently discarding the value of the owner's time. My time has a high value.

Even for someone who lets the dealer do it, the money they pay is not the total cost of maintenance. No one ever talks about the logistics of getting service by someone else - scheduling the appointment, getting someone to give you a ride back when you drop it off, again when you pick it up, rescheduling when something comes up, returning the favor, yada, yada, yada. Again, I have better things to do, and my time has value.

If you're going to talk about the cost of maintenance for EM vs. ICEM, do it honestly by putting a realistic value on your time.

An EM lets you completely forget about a huge chunk of that. As far as I'm concerned, that's priceless.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. wheresbaoskee

Oddometer:
    I see you conveniently glossed over an important line of my post, so I'll emphasize it here for your convenience.

I wrote that post with tongue firmly planted within cheek. Please try to have a sense of humor, as I find your content to be an otherwise quite well reasoned expression of your obvious intellect and education. My only constructive criticism here is that your writing style is one of a person who tends to take these threads way too seriously.

I'm not discounting the value of anyone's anything, nor was I making any sort of EV vs. ICE argument. On the contrary I am a massive advocate of electrification within all of our transportation systems. The only thing stopping me from running out and converting myself to an electric motorcycle "right fucking now" is budget. If you honestly thought I was trying to compare a 20 year old KLR to an electric motorcycle in any sort of serious way, then I honestly don't know what to say.

I was simply penning a pithy rejoinder for a bit of forum fun. Next time I suppose I should include a wall of emoticons to prevent further misunderstandings.

Edit: Here is where I will admit that post was not remote my best work as pithy rejoinders not meant to be taken seriously are concerned. I will endeavor to improve on that account so as to prevent the necessity of the aforementioned wall of emoticons.

:beer
  15. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right, I do take this stuff seriously, and there's some risk in that. I also have a sense of humor, but here's the thing - I've been at this EV business for over two decades. I've seen noobs come to discussions like this with no understanding, or worse, plenty of misunderstandings. Trust me, as much as I like to have fun with satire, sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments, I've learned what a Pandora's box that opens with noobs. Especially the noobs who are uncomfortable with what they see as big scary changes, or worse, the ones who actively try to skewer the new paradigm out of fear. Or just for sport.

So my advice is to hone your skills regarding tongue-in-cheek, pithy rejoinders. Have fun with words and concepts, while being much more clear as to what you're really saying.

Have fun with facts while respecting the facts. Facts and clarity are all we have - without them we're headed for trouble. Being creative within strict limits can be a higher form of creativity.

Save the fast, loose and messy word play for situations where the stakes are lower and satire, sarcasm, whatever, is the whole point. Clarity and humor go together quite well if you're creative.

:beer
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    That's like the problem of 90% of internets.
  17. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Yes.. $1800/yr avg. over 5 years.. $9000. Sorry for any confusion. I should’ve proof read what I typed in the previous post :)

Last maintenance was the Yamaha recommended 16,000 mi scheduled maintenance, plus a clutch cable, brake fluid change front/rear. Part of the reason I get the scheduled maintenance done at an authorized Yamaha dealer is to comply with my YES (Yamaha Extended Service) plan. I am a certified aircraft engine mechanic and have worked on many vehicles over the years, and could do the work myself but am at the point in my life where my time is better spent with family or other things. Sometimes my service is only $600 or $700, but then unexpected things like my fork seals going bad last year add several hundred to keeping the bike in safe and working condition. Honestly, keeping the bike maintained is about safety first. Sure, there’s going to be a few things shared between ICE & electric that require the same maintenance (tires, brake pads, brake fluid, fork seals), but not much more expected than that. Perhaps I’m spending more than some of you also as I live in Southern California where pretty much everything costs more, meaning my value proposition of going electric is likely larger than most. Ride what makes you happy I say. On that note, Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  18. wheresbaoskee

Oddometer:
    @ctromley - I would like, with your permission, to continue our little tangential discussion via either PMs or in some other location, as I perceive potential value there. Yes or no, your call, no big deal either way.

Regardless I don't want to pollute this thread any further than I am about to with what is to follow.

Really?

Pedophiles, White Supremacists, and Human Traffickers using places like 8chan and their ilk to conduct their vile activities.

Facebook's abject refusal to fact-check paid political advertising spread across it's platform.

Grotesquely misogynistic men telling women they've never met to kill themselves via every social media platform that exists.

Countless YouTube Channels and assorted websites devoted to every conspiracy theory imaginable.

The Flat Earth Movement.

Do I really need to continue? In the category of what is wrong with "Internets," calling a little well-intentioned, if perhaps apparently ill-advised, humor on a special interest forum even so much as rounding error would be an immense exaggeration.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  19. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you mentioned this. When its time for a service on my Speed Triple, I check the weather report for a clear day the next week, call my dealer and ask if I can make an appointment that day after work that day. They always say yes. I ride my bike to work, then ride from there to the dealer. They take about an hour or so doing the service while I test ride other motorcycles. When its done, I ride home. If it is something they need to keep it over night, they give me a demo bike to ride until it is ready. Usually, the ride home takes a number of detours to more curvy roads as well. These are some of my favorite days :)

When I owned Zero motorcycles, I could not do this with them. Why? Range. Nothing Zero sells has enough range for a trip from home to work to the dealer and back home, much less add extra fun miles in there. So yep, when I did have to take to my Zero's to the dealer, and I did more frequently than I wanted to because they had multiple issues, I had to eat my own free time, put them on a trailer and haul them up there, drop them off, come back with the trailer later and pick them up. Much more of a pain in the ass for me.
  20. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    Maintenance, as in fixing things, is very little part of the time I spend on my bike (when not riding). Cleaning it, making sure tires have the right pressure, checking tire wear, oiling and checking the chain, takes much more time. If you know how to do it, an oil change barely takes five minutes. Since I am cleaning it regularly, it is much easier to spot and quickly fix issues before they become expensive.