1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
  2. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    RedRocket likes this.
  3. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I guess you forgot YOUR statement, so I will repost it with emphasis:

"But the performance of a Sur Ron X is not comparable to a full sized dirt bike, its not even close."

I was not the one who made that absolutist argument. You did. And the rules of logic mean a single exception destroys your absolutist hypothesis. In this sandy and hilly hare scramble, a Sur Ron not only got "close," but beat a number of full-sized dirt bikes. It can, in fact, get close to full-sized dirt bikes.

I neither own, nor plan to buy, a Sur Ron at this time. I do appreciate their design philosophy. Physics means lighter things are easier to maneuver and control. If you don't agree with that, your argument is with Isaac Newton, not with me.
    bradrh likes this.
  4. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Please let me know which typical performance measure the Sur Ron equals a full sized dirt bike in?

Is it hp? Torque? Top speed? Acceleration? Braking?

Other related measures: Comfort? Fit/sizing? Durability? Build quality? Component quality?

Do you own a modern full sized off road dirt bike?

Have you ever ridden one?

Not talking about TTR like play bikes or ADV sized bikes.
  5. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Does my Sherco 300 SEF-R count?

A wise man would step back, and reconsider if his opinion was true when faced with countervailing facts. Perhaps the things you think are important (HP, torque, acceleration, braking, etc.) are not all there is to overall real-world performance? Perhaps, just perhaps, lower mass has more advantages than your preconceptions allow?
    liberpolly likes this.
  6. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Ok

Edit: Let us all know when you find more of those videos of Sur Ron ‘s “winning” races. You know, facts and all.
  7. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some pretty good mods are appearing for the Sur Rons, this guy has made a few videos of what an upgraded battery and controller will do: .
    He takes a 8hp sur-ron and makes a little over 23whp! It wouldn't hold that power for too long compared to a water cooled Alta but its cool to see what kind of modding is going on in the (still) early days of e-motos.
  8. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Way to move the goal.

You stated the Sur Ron was "not even close." Now somehow I have to prove the Sur Ron is superior to a full-sized bike? I never claimed they were superior.

You seem to be genuinely angry about this. You should probably go for a ride and unwind.
    liberpolly likes this.
  9. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Chilling my man. But yes a ride is always a good idea.

You posted a vid of a Sur Ron “winning a race” in response to my post. You spout off about facts?

I stand by my comments, the Sur Ron X is no where near the performance of a full sized dirt bike.

I ask you for the performance data to counter my statement, you bring up Newton. Newton’s not claiming the SR is anywhere near the performance of a full sized dirt bike.

Did I mention that I think SR’s are great?

Please repeat your Newton’s laws and I’ll consider that the final word on the matter.

For anyone else wondering how the SR stacks up, I strongly suggest you talk with SR owners and test ride one if you can.
  10. woodsrider-boyd

Oddometer:
    Hey all I’m done polluting this thread.

Peace out all. Paebr332 best to you, sincerely.
  11. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo mods, any chance of some pruning to make this a Zero motorcycles thread once again? Thanks
    bradrh, liberpolly and Mike Cherry like this.
  12. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    Got the pegs lowered on the SR/F. Much more comfortable for me.
    liberpolly likes this.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    What did you use?
  14. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    Zero sells a conversion kit. Can't remember if it costs 65 or 85 USD.
    liberpolly likes this.
  15. Lamented

Lamented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could anyone advise on the value of a 2013 fx 5.7?

Previously salvage titled. New motor and new battery. 5k miles

thanks
  16. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like you're trying to sell on CL right now for $4.5K. Given the vintage, the salvage title and the C-19 problems right now I would think you are being pretty optimistic, but it's hard to say as all it takes is one willing buyer. Keep it at this price for awhile if you can and see if you get any interest. If not you can then decide if you're above the market or not. and just how motivated you are to sell it. For a grand or so more I would think that a buyer would find something like this worth the extra dough. Sales on the West Coast for Zeros seem to be stronger than on the East Coast.
  17. Lamented

Lamented Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks. Not my bike but yes that’s the one. I think the he is high on the price given the salvage title.
  18. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I thought you were the seller, obviously. Electric bikes are evolving pretty quickly and so a bike that's 7 years old, regardless of the replaced components is going to depreciate fairly quickly I would think. Happy hunting: electric bikes are great for what they are. They have limited range, but for those miles they are wonderful.
    Lamented likes this.
  19. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually all Zero's since 2013 (with the exception of the SRS/F) use similar components that can be upgraded. For example, that old 5.7 bike likely has a new 7.2 battery, and if the motor was replaced its likely an IPM motor that wont overheat as easily. With those upgrades it doesnt distance itself from the newer ones nealy as much.

I'd ask what battery and motor was put in it, and what happened for it to be salvaged. Without knowing the details I'd give ~ $4k for it.
  20. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    That could very well be true, but I was speaking of advances in both battery and motor tech that are still in the pipeline and are not included on any production bike, but could be very soon. I've loved my Zero and don't mean to discourage the potential buyer as these are great if they fit your needs.