1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn. I hope this is the exception and not the rule with these bikes. That's a hell of a lot of trouble for a brand new bike. I know all brands electric or gas are susceptible to certain problems and some are just plain lemons. Hopefully you just got a shitty bike by bad luck.

Thanks for sharing and I hope your experience doesn't continue to spiral.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the FX is not a serious motocrosser and that one got seriously abused.

All motorcycles have limitations. If I ran my scooter 110% throttle it would break also.
  3. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was the exception. It seems like the bike was abused.
    NoMoreIdeas and chainslap like this.
  4. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not my bike, just a report from another forum on the FX.

I had a new 2019 FX that needed the battery replaced during the first week of ownership due to fire risk.

Zero seems to be notorious for letting issues go out with new bikes, but it seems once they fix them owners don't have too many issues going forward. Just sucks having to take your bike back the first week.

But when I owned my FX, I knew it was not a "real" dual sport bike. Fire roads and such were fine, but anything beyond that and you were pushing the limits of the bike.
    chainslap likes this.
  5. chainslap

Oddometer:
    Phew! I was like damn. That's just awful. But glad to hear it's an isolated case and one seemingly self inflicted.

Glad they fixed yours and you are enjoying it.
  6. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I sold it a year or so ago. The range was just too little.
  7. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Through abuse we find the limitations. Hopefully the limitations leed to innovation and we move forward.
    MJSfoto1956 and chainslap like this.
  8. chainslap

Oddometer:
    My issues as I'm sure a ton of others. Range and price.

I want one badly. The SR/s just seems so nice. But fully outfitted out the door it's 22k. I can't justify that for a commuter. I pay 2k for a 600cc sport bike I ride everyday and spend very little on gas and maintenance. I could prospectively buy a lifetime of sport bikes for the price of one electric.

Still, I get crazy thoughts and I'm like fuck it. I just want one and damn the price. Then reality sets in. I'll have two kids in college within a year. How can I tell them, sorry kids can't afford for you to go to school this year dad wants to play on his electric bike.

Oh well. One day.
  9. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    That was me last year. Bought the FX, that was fine. Little pricey, but ok bang for the buck. Able to get out of it without too much of a hit.

Then I got crazy and bought a new DSR + Power Tank with all the accessories. Immediate buyer's remorse on that one. Worse motorcycle decision I've made. Unloading it was costly as well as their resale is horrible.

If I get another Zero, it will be used or deeply discounted.
  10. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was the exception. "I miss my KTM 500EXC that was stolen after 3rd catastrophic engine failure in 3 years left me stranded on side of freeway 2 miles from home." Idk what he was doing but he was blowing through bikes. The biggest things I've heard of the FX is failed chargers (not so much as of late) and stripped motor splines from the chain kit.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I mainly posted that story for brap attack. He was wondering if the FX would be suitable for hard off road use. I think it is pretty clear at this point that it is not.
    NoMoreIdeas likes this.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These bikes are definitely overpriced and have a small niche of use. New is absolutely crazy expensive. I use my DSR for my daily commute and it works out fine. I bought it with 12k on the clock for $8k. I work just far enough away I can make it one direction on a full charge. It has been a bit harry when the charging station at work is down. eeeek! Luckily it's only been a couple of times over the last year of riding it. Although I might get a newer one someday, it won't be 'new'.
  13. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 Zeros. A DS and a DSR. Never had any issues with either of them. Expensive toys not unlike ICE bikes. They only way they become reasonable is when you ride them a lot and start saving money on fuel etc. They're hard to sell too. People still don't trust electric vehicles entirely. Once you get used to them it's no big deal. It just depends on what you want them to do. Point A to point B is where they're best at. Adventures, not so much.
  14. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

How many miles did you put on each of them?

Any motor or battery replacements?
  15. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    7K on the DS, 9600 on the DSR. The DS battery was replaced before I bought it under warranty. It sat uncharged for too long. The DSR sat for 4 months @ 14% before I bought it. Charged it overnight and never had a problem with it.
  16. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the charging.

I come from a geeky IT background so all this is old hat to me, but you should never let a Lithium based battery sit at 0% for too long. It'll be outlined in the manual and other places, but just restating for emphasis. This is not a Zero specific recommendation, and includes your phones, laptops and anything. In fact, if you can keep the battery between 30 - 80% for most of its life, you'll extend it even farther. No worries to charge to 100% when needed...just sayin'.
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  17. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I run my lithium weedeaters down to zero every time. So I now have an excuse to quit early. Ice cream time!!!
    elmontanero and Jarrett2 like this.
  18. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    With hybrid cars the battery's gauge may display 0 - 100 but in actuality it's 20 - 80 of the actual capacity just for that reason. You never really drain it or refill it completely.
    AZbiker likes this.
  19. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I have drained my Zero's to... zero. A few times. Like it stops going kinda zero.

Then charged them up and off they went. Also, stored them at 100% for a week or so.

Never saw an issue with that. I have overheated the batteries a few times as well. It won't take a charge until it cools down, then all normal.
  20. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the 0% is not really zero percent soc. It is when the BMS says no this is not good for the life of the battery and will cut the power. It won't let the pack drop below a certain voltage to protect the battery from over discharge. I've run my Empulse dead a couple time and it won't run or go very far, when it get's a to a certain voltage. Though I have to remember when it gets below 20% you better find a place to charge quick, because i've caught it go from 15%soc to 0% instantly. You definitely want to charge it a bit if you do drain it to 0%, no good to let it sit at low SOC.
    AZbiker likes this.