Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long is your bed? Could you get that bike in there diagonally with the tail gate closed?
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably but didn't try. With the bed extender (aka ramp) it's just too simple to load/unload my bikes. It's a 5'7" bed. Even though it weighs in about the same as my Husky 701, it feels like a tank. I ain't pickin it up or jockeying it around.
    I have some "Lock n Load" bike hold downs but haven't installed them yet. Not sure if the pegs are up high enough for the system. I have the 'dirt bike' ones.
  3. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Finally got my Zero dressed for the urban commuter. I actually get BETTER distance with the windscreen. After 2 days of riding with it, my remaining charge is up about 3 or 4 %. Nothing scientific, but I rode the same speed as I always do (which of course is the legal speed limit :deal ) :imaposer
    20190123_172151.jpg

Didn't do the "Zero" bags and windscreen. I did the "I'm a cheap azz" ebay $45 bags and $50 windscreen. Works fine for what I need. I will be putting the Zero back rack on there next week.
    ridenm, JdFan, voltsxamps and 3 others like this.
  4. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that headlight still halogen? Think one can easily extend the trip just by changing it to an LED :-)
  5. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike. Are those tires stock?

I'm thinking about buying a Zero and haven't decided on the model yet.
  6. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Stock headlight. I doubt it would make any difference whatsoever. A 50 watt bulb is pretty insignificant when you're working with a 13 kilowatt battery.

Thanks! Not stock. I just put those on. They're the Shinko 705's. Not sure I like them yet. They have a little knobby vibration under 7 mph. Not a big deal, just annoying. Fwy and cornering seem to be good. Got the pair for $120.. so we'll see how long they last.

When you first start riding one, you have a serious case of "range fobia". You're constantly looking at the gauge. Once you realize your planned out route is well within the range of the charge, you stop staring at the dash. They're definitely not the 'do all bike' of the future. But it does what it does very well.
    Ride, plug, repeat. (smile once in a while too)
    King of Beers likes this.
  7. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    You thinking of used or new?

I can't decide if it's a better bang for the buck to get a used model (11.4 sr, for example) or a new FX(S) (7.2)...

I make the comparison between those two models since you get a little more "flagship" with the SR but a newer model FX(S) comes with warranty and the implied goodness of new ownership at a relative cost comparison to each other.

Battery size @ the 7.2 level and above will probably cover my range needs. But, I'm only basing that on my current imagination and I may be selling myself short...
  8. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I've got my eye on a new FX. Going today to possibly cement the deal.

I demo'ed the DS 14.4 and FX 7.2 a couple of weeks back and the FX was much more fun to ride for me.

But I'm looking for a fun bike versus a sensible one in the Zero, so the 50-70 mile range + 78 ft-lbs. of torque in a 289 lb. package works for me.

If I wanted a more practical bike, I might look at the DS 14.4 + Power Tank with 120-150 mile range as it would be interesting.

They are releasing a new bike in a month that's supposed to be cutting edge stuff as well.

If (when) they get to a point where you can do 500 miles @ 70 mph on these things, I'll probably be selling off my ICE bikes.
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  9. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    Sweetness!

Keep us posted!!
  10. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Put a deposit down on a 2019 FX today.
  11. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    Any deals worth noting?
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Nah, just normal pricing. There is a used FX on sale at EMF though.
  13. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't count on that too much. It's not a super light bike to push even 200 m.
  14. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    It does surprise me that they didn't at least use LEDs for the turn signals. Not necessarily for the power savings, but the longevity factor of the "no maintenance" thing. Perhaps a legal issues in some parts?? IDK.
    If your going to run numbers.. I'm getting about 60 miles (@80 mph) on a charge. That's 31680 ft / 13kw comes out to .4w/ft. So the 50w bulb would save me 20 feet or 6 meters. If I hit the brakes 2 or 3 times, I've already replaced that amount of charge. I will probably get a cyclops LED headlight bulb, and LED blinkers anyway. They're brighter than most bulbs and more efficient.
    I would really save power if I'd quit hammerin on the throttle and pulling wheelies in the parking lot. It's just such a fun 'hooligan' bike. I can't wait to take it on a dirt road and pitch it sideways!
  15. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But that light always stays on, so traffic lights etc is still a loss however small. Now add to that recup from hitting the brakes -- it would save double distance if it were not for that bulb. Personally it would not make me easy, but that's of course only particular case of a commute to one side around 100 miles with possible traffic stops.
    Todd157k likes this.
  16. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    ok.. here's the downside to this thing.. errr

Insurance & DMV!

Insurance: They don't have the "Zero" listed as a motorcycle manufacturer. They don't know what to do without an entry for "number of cylinders". The vin doesn't seem to kick in on their system. Tried 3 different insurance companies. Finally got it covered under "scooter/other". wtf?

DMV: sheeez.. besides being the most incompetently run business in the world, the boneheads couldn't figure out what it was, classification, "engine number".. and it goes on. Took me 2-1/2 hrs to get the vin check (out of state bike) and transfer the title. Then they're looking for the sticker to see if it meets California emissions standards. OMG.. REALLY?
    folmonty, ridenm, Hittman and 7 others like this.
  17. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    I’m not laughing at your pain but that last sentence...:imaposer

“What are the emissions on this thing?”
    “It’s zero.”
    “Yeah, I know it’s a Zero but what are the emissions?”
    “No, it’s zero...”
    “I heard you the first time. It’s a Zero but what are the emissions...?”
    folmonty, ridenm, JdFan and 6 others like this.
  18. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Ironic is so many ways, not least of which is that Zeros are all manufactured in California.
  19. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You young whippersnappers have it easy.

I've told this story before, but it bears repeating.

Back in the old days of converting cars to electric power, which was also back when smog checks were done by sticking a probe up the exhaust pipe, imagine the consternation of having to check a car with no pipe. More than one EV converter just bolted on a dummy pipe that they could stick their probe in.

New Guy: Hey, Dave - this car reads zero hydrocarbon and NOx emissions. How can that be?

Supervisor: Well that ain't right, but I guess it's under the maximums so let it go.

Now think of what it must have taken to get a converted car titled and insured. Yeah. And sometimes much worse than that....
  20. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I showed him that sticker too.. it just didn't 'compute'. I was waiting for his spring loaded head to pop off.

jack.jpg